Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High (11664 Views)

Education Is meant for those who can afford it(picture) / The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria- Who Is To Blame? / The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by Natasha2(f): 8:49pm On Jun 27, 2011
I can't understand why they say our standard of education is low I will continue to disagree and will always disagree, now come to think of it, here you cannot use your text books during an exam we call it malpractice but over there like in the us they are allowed to do that, and many still fail. here we have to read like mad people for a simple test and most times no teacher is ready to tell you'' you have a test on friday so prepare for it'' They come with impromptu test.
    I can't understand how someone who came to Naija after studying in  the us will not be able to cope here, at least I had many classmates who were schooling there ''the so called high standards'' but when they come here ''low standards'' they cannot cope, they come out bottoms in class always as no one drags it with them, so I begin to wonder person wey no know 1=1 how you wan carry solve algebra? undecided
     Also if you notice you will see that some one who made a third class here in Naija will go over there and make a fist class,  I think its the foundation. all we have to do is invest in facilities of our schools and we can be the best.  cheesy   I know a lot of you will disagree with me but its okay, but still you should just think about it  cheesy  
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by werepeLeri: 9:37pm On Jun 27, 2011
I agree with you. In my Masters Class in the UK- can you beleive my European classmates does not know what BEDMAS/BODMAS is? Now I knew what BODMAS/BEDMAS is back in my primary school days in Nigeria.

LOL
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by Natasha2(f): 9:41pm On Jun 27, 2011
lolz but that's hard to believe but I believe it anyway. I'm very happy to see some one who shares the same view with me. All we need is facilities and we would be perfect, Just imagine the struggle for one to just get into the uni chai.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by coogar: 9:44pm On Jun 27, 2011
Natasha,,:

I can't understand why they say our standard of education is low I will continue to disagree and will always disagree, now come to think of it, here you cannot use your text books during an exam we call it malpractice but over there like in the us they are allowed to do that, and many still fail. here we have to read like mad people for a simple test and most times no teacher is ready to tell you'' you have a test on friday so prepare for it'' They come with impromptu test.
    I can't understand how someone who came to Naija after studying in  the us will not be able to cope here, at least I had many classmates who were schooling there ''the so called high standards'' but when they come here ''low standards'' they cannot cope, they come out bottoms in class always as no one drags it with them, so I begin to wonder person wey no know 1=1 how you wan carry solve algebra? undecided
     Also if you notice you will see that some one who made a third class here in Naija will go over there and make a fist class,  I think its the foundation. all we have to do is invest in facilities of our schools and we can be the best.  cheesy   I know a lot of you will disagree with me but its okay, but still you should just think about it  cheesy  

i humbly disagree. . . .

nigeria's standard of education is low. education isn't only about cramming stuffs in your head and pouring it out in the exams. it goes beyond that.
no engineering student in any nigeria university has worked with a router before and you are saying our standard of education is high. . .i laugh in boko haram.

interview a 10 yr old student in the usa and interview a 10 yr old student in nigeria and compare their level of intelligence. the difference will make you want to become a terrorist and target the education minister in nigeria and blow him up to pieces.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by Natasha2(f): 9:52pm On Jun 27, 2011
coogar:

i humbly disagree. . . .

nigeria's standard of education is low. education isn't only about cramming stuffs in your head and pouring it out in the exams. it goes beyond that.
no engineering student in any nigeria university has worked with a router before and you are saying our standard of education is high. . .i laugh in boko haram.

interview a 10 yr old student in the usa and interview a 10 yr old student in nigeria and compare their level of intelligence. the difference will make you want to become a terrorist and target the education minister in nigeria and blow him up to pieces.
Like I said all we need is facilities or didn't you read that part?
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by coogar: 9:59pm On Jun 27, 2011
Natasha,,:

Like I said all we need is [b]facilities [/b]or didn't you read that part?

that facility itself is quality education. . . .the moment you deny a child that facility the child becomes less-educated. wink
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by Natasha2(f): 10:03pm On Jun 27, 2011
coogar:

that facility itself is quality education. . . .the moment you deny a child that facility the child becomes less-educated. wink
hmm Yeah I Guess that's just our problem nevertheless its not as bad as people see it and that was what I was trying to point out that was why I used that heading lolz ''market strategy''
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by chamber2(m): 10:15pm On Jun 27, 2011

Hahaha shocked shocked :oHehehehe

The standard of education in Nigeria is obviously very low.Infact there is no standard in Nigeria in the real sense of it.

Now I knew what BODMAS/BEDMAS is back in my primary school days in Nigeria.

Does that mean they can't perform basic mathematical operations?I don't think so.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by BabaGiwa: 12:15am On Jun 28, 2011
Natasha,,:

I disagree with you on this. Your argument is totally fallacious.
1.There is no professor who is going to allow you make use of a textbook during an examination or test in the US. That is why it is termed 'closed-book' exams. Doing so automatically results in failure in the course. Also, the fact that professors inform students of exams before-hand is only a testament to the methodological principle of US institutions. This has nothing to do with students performance as it is under the purview of a student to decide whether or not to revise what has been taught during his/her free time. Even so, there are sometimes impromptu tests given to students called 'pop-quizzes'.

2. Your hypothesis about 3rd class graduates who go to the US and make excellent grades could be an attestation to the ease and advanced standard of US education system. The necessary facilities are present and this helps in invigorating students to study more. The instructors are quite friendly and accomodating and are always willing to render assistance to students when needed. Scholarship opportunities are widespread. The aforementioned are almost aberrant to Nigeria's education institutions. In Nigeria, in some cases, you have to bribe your way or pay through amoral means. I could go ad infinitum on why the Nigerian standard of education is considered dismal smiley smiley. Moreover, those who leave Nigeria to study abroad are also more likely to work harder due to the fact that they pay huge amounts for tuition, living expenses e.t.c.

3. The abysmal performances of your classmates who came to study in Nigeria from abroad (though that seems unusual) may be due to individual lethargy, incapability or due to acclimatization problems. They might not have been able to respond adequately to the environmental, cultural or academic stress which might have confronted them but it is sardonic to use that as a yardstick in measuring the standard of education.

I'll be a sophomore by September and the experience here has been great. I commend your patriotic spirit but the fact can't be ignored. I know you'll disagree with me but it's okay. Just think about it grin grin
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by camaldina(m): 2:45am On Jun 28, 2011
Error Sir, THEY DO OPEN BOOK HERE O
I have written both tests and exams here (California) in my MBA class where everything was allowed though the course was accountancy :open book, open lap top, i phone, internet, anything, but no talking sha.

With my tough Unilag upbringing, it was easy for me to have an A in accountancy (and even top the class) with moderate effort despite I had never studied accounting b4.

Although in sincerity, I had written an open book test b4 while in 9ja doing M.Sc. I guess the lecturer allowed us because it a mathematical modelling course.

In addition, do not compare the lecturers in both countries. Some talk theories alone with hardened faces while other give real life examples (with personal experiences) in a friendly atmosphere.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by iragbijile: 2:57am On Jun 28, 2011
Natasha,,:

I agree with you. You are totally right. Education is the US is a joke, effing joke. Before I came here, i was a dullard, couldnt spell, couldnt write couldnt do shit. I took WAEC 6 times, failed. My last one, I had 2 Cs 5 Ps and 3 F9s. And, my JAMB, dont even go there. Actually, lets go there, I took it 5 times, 120, 110, 90, 199, and 112. I was a terrible student in Nigeria, but a very hardworking one. Anyhow, after I 'rapala, come here, things have been different.

I took SAT, got 2399/2400, missed perfect score by one point, made 3.99/4.00 in my Engineering class from an ivy, a rhode scholar at Oxford where I finished a 2- yr masters in 7 days without even studying and yes all most of  exams were open book and the rest  I did online.

I agree with you exam in Nigeria is hard and the standard is extremely high. So high that I am beginning to think that we have one of the best systems in the world. And talk about the innovations we have been able to achieve with our 'high' educational standard. We too much mehn.

OP: I take 'ori iya e and baba e' beg you, please if you do have an opportunity to school in the US or UK, please dont come o. Their standard of education is very low, so low, I have no doubt that you'd score a perfect score on their SAT and you'd stroll through their best colleges with ease. Who born maga?

We have Wole Soyinka, what do they have? Nada.

We the best OP

We the effing best in the world.

Our colleges are the effing best in the world.

PS: On a more serious note,  a child who has never ventured out to see any other farm will always think that his father's farm is the biggest in the world, says our elders.

And WRT your comment about open book exams, you are definitely right. Its all open exams from kindergarten to Ph.D. what do I know?
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by iragbijile: 2:59am On Jun 28, 2011
camaldina:

Error Sir, THEY DO OPEN BOOK HERE O
I have written both tests and exams here (California) in my MBA class where everything was allowed though the course was accountancy :open book, open lap top, i phone, internet, anything, but no talking sha.

With my tough Unilag upbringing, it was easy for me to have an A in accountancy (and even top the class) with moderate effort despite I had never studied accounting b4.

Although in sincerity, I had written an open book test b4 while in 9ja doing M.Sc. I guess the lecturer allowed us because it a mathematical modelling course.

In addition, do not compare the lecturers in both countries. Some talk theories alone with hardened faces while other give real life examples (with personal experiences) in a friendly atmosphere.

You actually think your stupiddddddd only MBA is real education? very funny

Online MBA sef wan denge pose?LOL
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by manny4life(m): 3:27am On Jun 28, 2011
When people apply to schools when they come here, what school do they apply to? Instead of Nigerian students to apply to real universities, academic proven schools, they go for the cheap where they can pay $100 per credit, yeah u definitely get what u pay for. Please don't come on here and display ignorance that quality of schools here is low than Nigeria just because u went to an unfortunate unknown/ noncompetitive school and the professor gave u all A's; that theory does not apply to more than 1,000+ universities in the U.S. Now through out the course of my studies, I have never heard of an open book examination. What's the use of the exam with open book? It defeats the purpose then; I mean I know instructors curve the grade though but definitely no open book.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by camaldina(m): 3:54am On Jun 28, 2011
For all I know, California has some of the most expensive schools in the USA. I have never seen any program where foreign graduate students pay $100/credit as you claimed. Maybe you can show us 1. However, not getting personal sha.

Now, common sense, how does opening a book or otherwise help in balancing an account.

Talking about ease of making O-level for instance, the British and West African Curriculum both make a child to pass either WAEC or IGCSE or whatever. These are very detailed all-encompassing exams.

In California, what do they have to take to get HSD (high school diploma), the California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE) plus your school credits. CASHEE is an exam that can be taken from year 10 upwards with only 3 subsets. Each failed part can be retaken in subsequent years. I've been involved in both school systems and have always marveled at the difference.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by camaldina(m): 4:03am On Jun 28, 2011
Then the Mathematics for instance, We do it all as 1. They break it down here. When U teach in here, U get employed as either an algebra teacher or geometry teacher or calculus teacher, not just as a Math teacher.

In 9ja, one man teaches all. A math teacher is a math teacher.

And that is the way they streamline the classes to the students. Fewer subjects, more time, narrowly specialized experts teaching each.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by BABE3: 4:04am On Jun 28, 2011
iragbijile:

I agree with you. You are totally right. Education is the US is a joke, effing joke. Before I came here, i was a dullard, couldnt spell, couldnt write couldnt do poo. I took WAEC 6 times, failed. My last one, I had 2 Cs 5 Ps and 3 F9s. And, my JAMB, dont even go there. Actually, lets go there, I took it 5 times, 120, 110, 90, 199, and 112. I was a terrible student in Nigeria, but a very hardworking one. Anyhow, after I 'rapala, come here, things have been different.

I took SAT, got 2399/2400, missed perfect score by one point, made 3.99/4.00 in my Engineering class from an ivy, a rhode scholar at Oxford where I finished a 2- yr masters in 7 days without even studying and yes all most of  exams were open book and the rest  I did online.

HAHA---Why do I find it sooooooooooo hard to believe this your miracle of a story?  Did you study for your SAT? 2-yr master in 7 days?  You couldn't spell, you couldn't write and you made a 2399 in your SAT? hmmmmm---

So the fact that "they" are not making you pee in your pants makes education in the US a joke? Errrmmm, it's a developed country you know? Think about that.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by BeeMe: 4:16am On Jun 28, 2011
i have taken alot of open book exams here in NJ. open book exam is more difficult cos u will have to read all the chapter to know where to fill in the blank on the answer sheet and it does not defeat the essence of examination rather it makes students learn more not cram
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by camaldina(m): 4:18am On Jun 28, 2011
STANFORD IS ONE OF BEST UNIVERSITIES IN THE WORLD, BUT CHECK THIS OUT.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-03-09/bay-area/28670682_1_stanford-athletes-list-student-athletes
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by iice(f): 4:18am On Jun 28, 2011
Looool @ topic
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by DisGuy: 4:57am On Jun 28, 2011

This is the koko, The nigerian lecturer who has probably never worked outside of school will tell you everything straight from the book and Student obviously out of fear of victimisation are never encouraged to ask questions- just sit down and swallow whatever it is the OGA lecturer is saying, if you ask too much questions you will be seen as a time waster or trying to expose the man

The general perception is:

the stricter a school is Nigeria the better higher the standard of education -weird
the student that can define thing word for word strictly according to the recommended textbook is the smartest of the lot

The good thing is Nigerian education makes student very disciplined so when they get a chance at graduate level they 'usually' do well!
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by DisGuy: 5:04am On Jun 28, 2011
knowledge is one thing application of knowledge is something else wink
only one of the above brings home the bacon and innovation!
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by BabaGiwa: 5:33am On Jun 28, 2011
iragbijile:

I agree with you. You are totally right. Education is the US is a joke, effing joke. Before I came here, i was a dullard, couldnt spell, couldnt write couldnt do poo. I took WAEC 6 times, failed. My last one, I had 2 Cs 5 Ps and 3 F9s. And, my JAMB, dont even go there. Actually, lets go there, I took it 5 times, 120, 110, 90, 199, and 112. I was a terrible student in Nigeria, but a very hardworking one. Anyhow, after I 'rapala, come here, things have been different.

I agree with you exam in Nigeria is hard and the standard is extremely high. So high that I am beginning to think that we have one of the best systems in the world. And talk about the innovations we have been able to achieve with our 'high' educational standard. We too much mehn.

OP: I take 'ori iya e and baba e' beg you, please if you do have an opportunity to school in the US or UK, please dont come o. Their standard of education is very low, so low, I have no doubt that you'd score a perfect score on their SAT and you'd stroll through their best colleges with ease. Who born maga?

We have Wole Soyinka, what do they have? Nada.

We the best OP

We the effing best in the world.

Our colleges are the effing best in the world.

PS: On a more serious note,  a child who has never ventured out to see any other farm will always think that his father's farm is the biggest in the world, says our elders.

And WRT your comment about open book exams, you are definitely right. Its all open exams from kindergarten to Ph.D. what do I know?

LOL, sarcasm at its best grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by Roland17(m): 6:27am On Jun 28, 2011
I quite agree with the poster, despite its obvious lapses, the Nigerian educational system prepares students for life and adaptability in any educational system u find your self, also, it worthy to note that the most intelligent students in American universities are not Americans, they are either Africans (not African Americans), Asians or Indians.

And for those who don't believe it, many American universities use the open book system even for doctorate degrees, am pursuing my MBA here and i have couple of friends studying medicine, economics etc who write open book exams yet many still fail the exams. the open book is common in 68% of american universities, it is based on the premise that if a student is able to recollect the chapters of the text book, he would never forget the topic or subject, but this has made many students lazy

one aspect of their education that can never be compared, is the aspect of research writing and paper presentation, for me that is the epitome of the educational system in the U.S, students individually prepare and present research papers weekly, depending on ur course, sometimes in the class and other times in front of a panel of professors, this challenges students to be creative.

overall its a wonderful experience that encompasses every aspect of education.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by Darwine(m): 7:06am On Jun 28, 2011
First off all, let me tell you guys that open book examinationations have nothing to do with filling of answers, you can never see any answer to the question with all the books you come into the examination hall with, even if you write it in the library. I have written so many of them while in school. Now, are we here to compare nigeria system of education with the international system or nigerian brains and IQs with that of white people. The simple truth is that brains are wasting here in nigeria, if you subject an average white man to the kind of stress you subject an average nigerian guy academically, believe me, he will not go to school. Nigerians read and teach themselves as students, so please lets stop looking at those international system or standard, if there is any way you know you can help an average nigerian academically and otherwise, please do. When our leaders want to change our standard of education, we are are hapily waiting to grab it.ria, if you subject an average white man to the kind of stress you subject an average nigerian guy academically, believe me, he will not go to school. Nigerians read and teach themselves as students, so please lets stop looking at those international system or standard, if there is any way you know you can help an average nigerian academically and otherwise, please do. When our leaders want to change our standard of education, we are are hapily waiting to grab it.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by Meddler(f): 8:00am On Jun 28, 2011
Roland17:

I quite agree with the poster, despite its obvious lapses, the Nigerian educational system prepares students for life and adaptability in any educational system u find your self, also, it worthy to note that the most intelligent students in American universities are not Americans, they are either Africans (not African Americans), Asians or Indians.

And for those who don't believe it, many American universities use the open book system even for doctorate degrees, am pursuing my MBA here and i have couple of friends studying medicine, economics etc who write open book exams yet many still fail the exams. the open book is common in 68% of american universities, it is based on the premise that if a student is able to recollect the chapters of the text book, he would never forget the topic or subject, but this has made many students lazy

one aspect of their education that can never be compared, is the aspect of research writing and paper presentation, for me that is the epitome of the educational system in the U.S, students individually prepare and present research papers weekly, depending on your course, sometimes in the class and other times in front of a panel of professors, this challenges students to be creative.

overall its a wonderful experience that encompasses every aspect of education.

You hit the nail on the head. We are definitely lacking and we need to improve on a lot of areas e.g student to professor ratio, incorporate an interactive learning atmosphere, research, research, research!!!!! In terms of maths and science we are definitely killing it over there. A testament to how I got out of taking algebra 101 (I do not deny it, I'm a complete math dunce. I wud have gotten an F in that class). But I went to the math head of dept and he was able to exempt me from algebra 101 - why? b'cos I was Nigerian and presumably most of us Nigerians were math genius (go figure, and I'm not making this up. That's exactly what he said). Off course, once he started talking tangents and some other ridiculous math term I started praying he won't give me any test to prove that I was a math whiz grin. Oh yea, I actually aced an advanced stats class which also helped my case cool
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by Natasha2(f): 8:23am On Jun 28, 2011
^^lmoa grin grin

I really appreciate every one who has commented on this topic, but I would like to ask ''some'' of you a question are you trying to say that in the whole of Nigeria, we have no good school?
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by ojofu(m): 9:11am On Jun 28, 2011
the difference btw these two education system is that, in US and most countries, u go to school to learn but in naija u are made to believe that u go to school to pass exams or get good grades that why lecturers can do anything to frustrate u. with this mentality we go to school to acquire the result forgetting the learning part.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by werepeLeri: 9:12am On Jun 28, 2011
^^^^ @POster

Dont mind them jare. They are those who think nothing good is in Nigeria. Most IT professionals in the UK lately are guys who studied in Nigeria and India - and were recruited through the then HSMP, and they are doing good in the UK, if not for the economic problems setting in lke three years ago.
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by fxtopedia(m): 9:23am On Jun 28, 2011
Good job OP:
There is difference between '' grin' and ''Quality of Education''
The standard of Education is superb but the quality has lots of deficiency. For you
to understand the standard of education in Nigeria as compare to others,pick the
Syllabus of Nigeria and another country and compare it.

I think these articles might help us here:
http://sunday.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=495:vision-202020-and-the-falling-standard-of-education-in-nigeria&catid=7:comment-a-debate&Itemid=113

http://www.dawodu.com/igbuzor14.htm
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 28, 2011
I think people are mixing up issues here. I did my first degree in Naija with a very good grade am in Europe doing masters but to be honest right now my grades are not the best may be due to divided attention; not on scholarship man most hustle to survive.  But when it comes to standard of education we need to understand that it implies  application of acquired knowledge not just knowing what is inside your notes/text books but how to apply it in everyday life. Here the exams are supposedly open book and believe me it does not make a difference whether you go in with your books or not.  The education we get in Naija are mostly archaic believe me, I have a friend in Naija as we speak doing his masters as well, all the proofs, manual computations in my field he can do that I have to sweat to do that. But in terms of real life application running softwares and interpretation of those results as it applies to real life he cant do jack. Here is the thing if he works for a company in his area of study, no company will ever ask him to come and prove those theory or do manual calculation when you have data set with over 1000 units and 20 variables. They just will hand him system and softwares left for you to choose the best method, run it and interpret your findings/results.  In essence standard of education I believe connotes the application of what you have learnt in school in real life using available up-to-date technology.

On a light mode in real life office working environment you are allowed to use books and other source in solving your problem that calls for the open book approach. grin grin
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by PeeDaVinci: 9:45am On Jun 28, 2011
lol @ this topic!!! and i laf wen i see pple who havent been thru the 2 systems make some funny comments. dont know where to start but i will say this , if the standard is good in nigeria, ptdf wont be spending around 8 million naira per annum for 1 nigeria to study abroad, companies which have the means wont be sending their staff to further their education abroad,
Re: The Nigerian Standard Of Education Is High by Bawss1(m): 9:48am On Jun 28, 2011
The Nigerian standard of education is high… on drugs.  grin
Very funny statement indeed. Someone here mentioned the fact that students in his school overseas didn’t know what BODMAS was. Like that is supposed to be a standard measure. If one went that route then how many Nigerian engineering students know what Matlab and Scilab are, softwares that have become ubiquitous with learning in other climes.  

The education curriculum especially at the university level needs to be updated and brought in line with current global realities. During my university years most, if not all, of what I was taught was from ancient notes recycled by the lecturers. Skills that are needed for most technical jobs today are hardly acquired in our universities. People have been saying all this for a long time now, education in this country is in a terrible state. One look at some people’s posts here on NL and one can see how deep the rot is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SSANU Threatens Nationwide Strike / Yaba College Of Technology Part Time Form Is It Out Yet? / Kad-poly Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.