Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,287 members, 7,829,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Nigerians Should Not Support Ukraine Or Russia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Should Not Support Ukraine Or Russia (372 Views)

CNN Saying Ukraine Needs War To End In Months Or Russia Will Turn Them To dust / 2023: Buhari Will Not Support Tinubu’s Candidacy - Sule Lamido / 5 Lessons Nigerians Should Learn From The Ekiti Governorship Election For 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Should Not Support Ukraine Or Russia by Nobody: 6:59am On Feb 27, 2022
Personally speaking, Nigerians should stay out of this latest conflict.

Here on Nairaland, it is kind of funny to see the way people are lining up behind Putin and Biden. With people saying things like 'Russia will pulverize you' and 'America would beat you back'. And so forth...with some going all historical (and no, the Cuban missile crisis is not similar to this issue).

The truth is, both sides are right.

Russia is right in the sense that for hundreds of years it has been invaded, from the West and from the East. Even now, it has a wide border which is not easy to defend. And yeah, it has tried the non-agression route before. (Stalin, that paranoid chap, once let go of his paranoia, and signed a non-agression pact with the Germans...and guess how that happened). If Ukraine gets into NATO....that means Russia is surrounded by the US on the West, and the East. Not funny. (And then there is China...).

On the other hand, Ukraine too doesn't want to be Russia's buffer. They want to be rich and proseprous like their brethren in the West, and for a long time, the route to be rich and prosperous is to put your defence in the hands of the US....which is what they want by joining NATO...to tell them ruskies that they are not their slave...or something.

All, in all, I can see the right in both sides. Every russian leader has the right to be paranoid...if they know their history. The reason why Russia had a large empire, and why they kept a large bit of it as the USSR, is simple. Keep the threat of invasion away. That's the real reason for the Iron curtain....the real reason also why many european states were communist. Russia knows, to its cost that complacency=destruction.

But the problem with empires is eventually, nations would want to be independent and Ukraine wants to be independent. And yes, they want to ally with a stronger nation to do it. And yes, it is their right to do so. Because people honestly do not like colonial rule...or even being told that they have to do x because y.

At the end, when you have a situation where both sides are right, and both sides have legitimate fears, then one has to be honest and realize that taking sides does not work here. As far as I am concerned...at the end, both sides need to get rid of the paranoia first....then we can talk.

That's why Nigerians should just let this conflict alone. At the end of the day, the problem really is that Ukraine is made up of two political blocs that have not learned the lesson of democracy...power is not meant to be held on to for power's sake.And tolerance (yes, I say this even though I know both sides feel hard done by..with good reason) Both blocs are not tolerant of each other...and over the years have learned to call on their big daddies or whatever to come on their side. Right now, it;s the turn of the Russians, in 2014, it was the USA. Lesson for Nigeria...always know that power is too too seductive.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Not Support Ukraine Or Russia by FireRain: 4:49am On Mar 01, 2022
I am with you on this take.
I think we have our hands full to be taking sides on this matter. I read Putin's full speech and kind of understand his stand even though I don't support war in anyway but he believes that is the only way he could push to be heard and I also respect Ukraine's stand too.

Anyway, we need to focus on the next election and let Europeans sort out their issues, my only worry is our citizens over there. May they all be safe.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Not Support Ukraine Or Russia by helinues: 5:01am On Mar 01, 2022
Abi.

The story who birthed Nobel Laureate awards, The Merchant of dead really changed my perceptions about anything war or conflict.

Resolving the issue diplomatically is the only sensible option

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Not Support Ukraine Or Russia by StaffofOrayan(m): 6:10am On Mar 01, 2022
I actually stand with Russia,

(1) (Reply)

We’ve Quietly Removed Electricity Subsidy, Fuel Subsidy To Follow – FG / How Can I Do Airtel Keep My Number / When I Saw Osinbajo Declares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.