Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! (7391 Views)

LASTMA Officers Arrest Military,NSCDC Officers Driving On BRT Lane In Lagos(pics / Ambode's Monitoring Team Arrest Cars Plying BRT Lane (Photos) / Chief Justice Caught Driving On BRT Lane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by henry101(m): 5:29am On Jun 28, 2011
Following last Thursday’s incident in which policemen and soldiers were involved in a brawl after a lance corporal contravened a traffic law by passing the lane designated for Bus Rapid Transit buses at Obanikoro end of Ikorodu Road , the Nigerian Army on Monday dismissed the errant soldier, Sunday Ayodeji.

PUNCH METRO had reported on June 24, 2011 that Ayodeji had defied traffic law and also assaulted security operatives who had been assigned by the Lagos State government to monitor compliance of traffic rules.

Ayodeji allegedly called his colleagues on the phone and the armed soldiers chased away the policemen and LASTMA officials directing traffic in the area, resulting in confusion.

However, the General Officer Commanding 81 Division, Maj.–Gen. Kenneth Minimah, said Ayodeji with recruitment No. 99NA /48/2627 of the 940 Regiment Workshops, had been dismissed for violation of civil law, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

“The dismissal of this soldier will serve as a warning to others. Military personnel must be warned that their insubordination of civil law will attract punitive measures like dismissal,” he said.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201106283191589
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by preselect(m): 5:45am On Jun 28, 2011
Finally, some sanity in the military. Better late than never.

Can we ever discuss anything in this country without resorting to tribal attacks? JEEZ!!!
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by OAM4J: 5:47am On Jun 28, 2011
Good one!
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by ZnO: 5:51am On Jun 28, 2011
Sunday Ayodeji. Ogboju [b]soja [/b]dismissed
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by henry101(m): 6:14am On Jun 28, 2011
I'm sure if this trend continues and is sustained, it will help keep other knucklehead soldiers out of trouble.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 28, 2011
Great news. This is a big step in the right direction for Nigeria.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 28, 2011
cool
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by johnie: 11:19am On Jun 28, 2011
Thumbs up for the military top brass!

We are moving forward!

cool
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jun 28, 2011
Nice move by the Military, I hope the Police authorities take a cue from this and go after some of their manner-less officers and men that terrorize citizens on the road.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jun 28, 2011
Good one from the Army. We expect more from them and Police should learn from this
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by kevoh(m): 1:46pm On Jun 28, 2011
Finallement!
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by kevoh(m): 1:47pm On Jun 28, 2011
Finalement!
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Concept(m): 1:47pm On Jun 28, 2011
Good!!!
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by ak47mann(m): 1:50pm On Jun 28, 2011
bravo smiley smiley smiley
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Jincheng: 1:52pm On Jun 28, 2011
Oops
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by norrisman: 1:55pm On Jun 28, 2011
Admiral Arogundade = Promotion
Lance Corporal Ayodeji = Dismissed

While this may serve as a deterent to people who think they can flout the law and get away with it, I hope due process was followed in his sacking as I highly doubt a court martial can be done in 3 days. I hope GEJ takes a leaf out of the Army's book and duly recall the Maudeke woman who never did her NYSC.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by ibkn(m): 1:56pm On Jun 28, 2011
nice one, but he was a mere lance corporal, well i am waiting when the likes of rear admirals or commanders or colonels or major that beat up civilians are also dismissed
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Bensonite: 1:56pm On Jun 28, 2011
Good. Can they extend this to soldiers in Port Harcourt as they always drive oneway against traffick and ready to beat anyone who dares them.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Honeycity(f): 1:57pm On Jun 28, 2011
what baffles me about the inglorious solder is the fact that did he not gave it a second thought that he could be dismissed by his public show of shame. perhaps he was tired of the uniform he was wearing undecided
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Soundmind(m): 2:00pm On Jun 28, 2011
Good, very good.
This is supremacy of law.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Bensonite: 2:00pm On Jun 28, 2011
norrisman:

While this may serve as a deterent to people who think they can flout the law and get away with it, I hope due process was followed in his sacking as I highly doubt a court marshall can be done in 3 days. I hope GEJ takes a leaf out of the Army's book and duly recall the Maudeke woman who never did her NYSC.
For your update only! Mrs Madueke got an exemption letter from NYSC as this came up during her first appointment in 2007 at the floor of the senate. So back to the OP.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Allibaby78: 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2011
Good one, even a weakling I can dust feels like a demigod in uniform
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2011
this is wrong and too quick
.he should be court martialed alongside others
you don't dismiss soldiers in 3 days without a fair hearing.

those that killed the DPO are not dismissed .

what about the naval rating=gs and their boss?(uzoma fiasco)

doing this for headlines
was it only one person .
does this solve the problem .

it is naive to cheer this.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by shagaman: 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2011
what about the Captains that follow the BRT lane everyday or the Admirals, i still saw one while coming to the island today,

This country is full of shit.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by AbuMaryam1(m): 2:02pm On Jun 28, 2011
Kai this army sounds audacious let them come back and take power from this useless politician  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by norrisman: 2:03pm On Jun 28, 2011
Bensonite:

For your update only! Mrs Madueke got an exemption letter from NYSC as this came up during her first appointment in 2007 at the floor of the senate. So back to the OP.

The exemption cant be right cause there are only a few instances which someone else already posted on another thread where you are exempted if you graduate before you are 30. So her exemption certificate if she has any was illegally obtained.

Decree 51 that establishes NYSC is very clear and unambiguous. As long as Diezani Allison-Madueke graduated before the age of 30, she must serve. It does not matter if she attended Unilag or Unipetrol. If she assumed public office in Nigeria before doing so, then she would have violated that law. Simple!

The criteria for her exemption from NYSC are also crystal clear:

1. If she was over 30 when she graduated, or

2. If she had served in the armed forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months, or

3. If she was a member of staff of any of the following:

(i) the Nigerian Security Organisation, or
(ii) the State Security Service, or
(iii) the National Intelligence Agency, or
(iv) the Defense Intelligence Service; or

4. If she had been conferred with any National Honour

For as along as she met none of these criteria, then she would have violated the law establishing the NYSC.

While I would also agree that she may not be the first or the only one to have 'dodged' NYSC and still gotten a job in Nigeria, we all have to realise that when you go fishing, you don't catch all the fishes that snag your line. She may be (yet) the fish to be caught. If the senate approved her appointment as a minister without asking to see her NYSC discharge or exemption certificate, then our senators must have made a meal of a very simple assignment.

Thanks Rhea for this info
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by btyfulmnd(m): 2:03pm On Jun 28, 2011
Perfect! Its high time these soldeirs are taught a lesson; what makes them feel they are above the law.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Basics007: 2:09pm On Jun 28, 2011
I'm never a fan of dismissin armed trained men cos these are people who are not trained for anythin else in life apart from carryin arms. So when u dismiss them,what else is left for them than to go into armed robbery. The authorities should punish them in other ways like suspendin their salaries etc but dont dismiss them pls for d sake of public peace and safety
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Akanbiedu(m): 2:13pm On Jun 28, 2011
Abu-Maryam:

Kai this [b](northern)[/b]army sounds audacious let them come back and take power from this useless ([b]southern)[/b]politician  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

ed!ot, I have helped to complete it.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 28, 2011
Kai this army sounds audacious let them come back and take power from this useless politician

Your wish abi? why do you guys feel more comfortable with Military rule? It no longer fashionable my dear no matter how much you thirst for it.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by forkadict(m): 2:19pm On Jun 28, 2011
norrisman:

While this may serve as a deterent to people who think they can flout the law and get away with it, I hope due process was followed in his sacking as I highly doubt a court martial can be done in 3 days. I hope GEJ takes a leaf out of the Army's book and duly recall the Maudeke woman who never did her NYSC.
Same thing i told a colleague of mine this morning. Meanwhile, Arogundade's offence is far more grievious than Ayodeji's. Check out their rewards.
Re: Soldier Dismissed For Driving On BRT Lane! by seguno2: 2:19pm On Jun 28, 2011
Very good gesture.
We applaud so there can be more dismissals for erring soldiers who harass civilians et al because they are wearing uniforms and carrying weapons paid for with our taxes and the taxes collected on our behalf.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Merger Talks Tear CPC Apart (pic) / Our Airspace Is Still Safe - Stella Oduah / Are Majority Of Hausas The Most Uncivilized People In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.