Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,435 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases (17781 Views)

Kaduna Residents Groan As Black Marketers Sell Petrol At ₦1,000/Litre / IPMAN Strike: Imo Residents Groan As Fuel Sells For ₦500 Per Litre / Kwara Residents Groan As Projects Nominated By Saraki Abandoned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 01, 2022
NotoriousBiggyS:

Well, Dangote refinery cost over 10 billion dollars, 3 billion of which is his own money, the rest of which was loans.

And the banks gave him the loans because they know that if he defaults, they take over his lucrative other businesses and pay themselves

Government should build refineries. But since subsidy forces them to sell fuel at a loss, they in essence use money that could have been used for refineries to pay for subsides to cover the losses.

Good afternoon
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by samwheel(m): 3:14pm On Mar 01, 2022
Soffyh:
the most foolest humanbeing,is Tinubu the president or minister for petroleum stinks

I'm a Yoruba, but I'm not a fool and a bastard like u.
Tinubu packaged buhari to Nigeria, now d old senile greedy thief wants to come and die there and animals like u are still sucking his toes

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by alphaNomega: 3:33pm On Mar 01, 2022
Indelibleage:
Get ready, the days draw nearer.. We're getting nearer to the end of everything. Prepare for heaven. It won't be long again.
See wetin you dey write because of ordinary fuel
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by clems88(m): 3:34pm On Mar 01, 2022
Been trying to get fuel for my gen since last week Thursday. They don't sell for kegs. Had to lose the tank of my gen and take it to petrol station today before I bought. The annoying thing is they condition us with gen tank that they are only selling 500 naira own for us.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by clems88(m): 3:37pm On Mar 01, 2022
ppogba:
Bovas OLUYOLE is selling at N 162.

Ten vehicles being allowed in at a time.

No jerry can. Not even ragolis bottle.
that useless filling station wey their short manager dey flex muscle. He go chop beating very soon.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Splitmind: 3:41pm On Mar 01, 2022
I have fuel in my area so they should stop moaning
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by carsy(f): 3:46pm On Mar 01, 2022
Please where in Ibadan? I have been trying to buy fuel for two days now eh. The stress is too much
Splitmind:

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by ppogba: 4:09pm On Mar 01, 2022
clems88:
that useless filling station wey their short manager dey flex muscle. He go chop beating very soon.

Manager dey flex muscle is what you are complaining about?

Perhaps, maybe you have enough fuel or you are ready to buy at N220 with long queue.

Truth is, it it time for station managers and even attendants on a monthly salary of 10k to flex. The government has made it so.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by ppogba: 4:12pm On Mar 01, 2022
Splitmind:

The fact that you have in your area does not mean others that have queued at fuel stations since 5am should not moan.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by iokpebholo: 4:30pm On Mar 01, 2022
Where is helinous, seunmsg,yarimo and other foolish zombies on this forum..Hope u guys are getting ur fuel direct from NNPC
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by poiZon: 5:04pm On Mar 01, 2022
backbencher:
All because we bring in fuel at N282 and sell it at N162 per liter

And the n282 is not static . Rising oil prices means it can pass 300 naira or more. Meanwhile we sell the crude at 162.

And subsidy costs don't cover the resulting loss

So prices have to go up or it would become too costly to keep fuel at N162 per liter.

And yes, the money that could have been used for refineries goes to paying for that subsidy. That is part of why we don't have refineries
You and who dey sell crude oil for N162?

Shebi i tell u to stop commenting on anything fuel, cos u don't know anything in that sector.

U r just like buhari pre2015 that talked rubbish and fools paid attention.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 01, 2022
poiZon:

You and who dey sell crude oil for N162?

Shebi i tell u to stop commenting on anything fuel, cos u don't know anything in that sector.

U r just like buhari pre2015 that talked rubbish and fools paid attention.

Good evening and good luck.

This is my last mention for you
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Duplik8t77(m): 5:10pm On Mar 01, 2022
backbencher:

And the n282 is not static . Rising oil prices means it can pass 300 naira or more. Meanwhile we sell the crude at 162.

So prices have to go up or it would become too costly to keep fuel at N162 per liter.

And yes, the money that could have been used for refineries goes to paying for that subsidy. That is part of why we don't have refineries
stop saying this nonsense bro. This bullshit defies logic and economics.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Nobody: 5:11pm On Mar 01, 2022
Duplik8t77:
stop saying this nonsense bro. This bullshit defies logic and economics.

Good evening and good luck

Thanks for your time
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by tito44: 5:18pm On Mar 01, 2022
backbencher:

Thanks for your time

Very stale lines. All these zombies sef...empty skulls
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Nobody: 5:18pm On Mar 01, 2022
tito44:

Very stale lines. All these zombies sef...empty skulls

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'll certainly keep them in mind. Good evening again, and may your days be long and prosperous.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Duplik8t77(m): 5:19pm On Mar 01, 2022
backbencher:

Thanks for your time
goodluck to you too in your flawed attempt to always defend the ineptitude of this government. Where are the shitty refineries buhari promised. How much does it cost to build a refinery in all the geopolitical zones. How much does it cost to revive the redundant refineries. So apc did not put all the bs you typed into consideration before making empty campaign promises. The earlier you realise that alot of people in govt are making a killing by not allowing us refine our own crude and thereby maintaining the importation status quo, the better for you. Except of course you are one of those benefiting from the bs. Go to the streets and see how people are suffering to get fuel. Fares are on the increase too. And you are wherever talking gibberish about how increase in crude price, leads to increase in price of local petrol

The same price of crude they said Jonathan looted without saving when it was selling for over 100dollars. Now it is over 100 dollars for them and they still saying nonsense through you
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by tito44: 5:19pm On Mar 01, 2022
backbencher:

Thank you for your kind words. I'll certainly keep them in mind. Good evening again.

Good boy.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 01, 2022
tito44:

Good boy.

And have a good rest of the year, good sir.

Pax vobiscum
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by poiZon: 5:20pm On Mar 01, 2022
backbencher:

Good evening and good luck.

This is my last mention for you
Tell me who is selling crude oil for N162?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by tito44: 5:21pm On Mar 01, 2022
backbencher:

And have a good rest of the year, good sir.

Pax vobiscum

Good boy. You are learning
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Nobody: 5:29pm On Mar 01, 2022
Duplik8t77:
goodluck to you too in your flawed attempt to always defend the ineptitude of this government

Well, I support subsidy removal. Buhari does not.

I also support measures to get us off oil, Buhari does not.

I support refroming the police, Buhari does not.

I also support removing subsides on power , Buhari does not.

Where are the shitty refineries buhari promised. How much does it cost to build a refinery in all the geopolitical zones. How much does it cost to revive the redundant refineries. So apc did not put all the bs you typed into consideration before making empty campaign promises.

Well, considering Buhari supports subsidy, I knew , as far back as 2013, that any promises he made about refinereis was a lie, or more charitably, impossible.

The only way you can have functional refineries is by removing subsides. And allowing the petroleum industry to make a profit. Anything else is just hokum.

That is why Niger republic has a functional refinery...they don't have subsides, and they refine for a profit. To the point that they are now an exporter of refined PMS.

The earlier you realise that alot of people in govt are making a killing by not allowing us refine our own crude and thereby maintaining the importation status quo, the better for you. Except of course you are one of those benefiting from the bs.

Yes i know that, which is why I want to deny them of their bread by removing subsides, and making it easier for the petroluem industry to make a profit to build, own and operate refineries without government spending money.

Which is why we have a GSM sector...we allowed the GSM companies to make a profit. As a result, we got a working telephony and internet service without spending a dime of government money.(to say nothing of jobs created).

Go to the streets and see how people are suffering to get fuel. Fares are on the increase too. And you are wherever talking gibberish about how increase in crude price, leads to increase in price of local petrol

Good, so let us either

1.Remove subsidy or

2. Keep it, but fund it, not from crude oil revenue, but from taxing every taxable adult in this country to fund the subsidy. (Right now, 30% of taxable Nigerians actually pay income tax to the government at state and Federal level. Our tax to gdp ratio is a very low 8%. South Africa too has the same problem, but they have a more diversifed economy, and can tax that...thus tax to gdp there is 24%)

Removing subsidy means the petroleum sector makes a profit to build and repair refineries without government spending money. And it provides jobs, and earns us revenue by making us an exporter of refined petrol...like Niger republic. Plus taxes.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Nobody: 5:30pm On Mar 01, 2022
tito44:

Good boy. You are learning

[s]Just as you are learning from your husband, good girl[/s]

Apologies, it was not in my character to abuse you.

Good evening. I won't disturb you again.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by ema2020: 5:31pm On Mar 01, 2022
backbencher:

Well, Dangote refinery cost over 10 billion dollars, 3 billion of which is his own money, the rest of which was loans.

And the banks gave him the loans because they know that if he defaults, they take over his lucrative other businesses and pay themselves

Government should build refineries. But since subsidy forces them to sell fuel at a loss, they in essence use money that could have been used for refineries to pay for subsides to cover the losses.

Good afternoon
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Nobody: 5:33pm On Mar 01, 2022
ema2020:

?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by GreatAxeMan: 5:45pm On Mar 01, 2022
Who created the conditions which led to the destruction of the refineries in the first place and why should the ordinary Nigerian pay for the incompetence of government?

backbencher:

Modified

For people angered by my comment, calm down and read the below passage.

SAUCE: FUEL SUBSIDIES IN NIGERIA, THEY ARE BAD FOR THE ECONOMY BUT THE LIFEBLOOD OF POLITICIANS.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by tito44: 5:51pm On Mar 01, 2022
backbencher:

[s]Just as you are learning from your husband, good girl[/s]

Apologies, it was not in my character to abuse you.

Good evening. I won't disturb you again.

nice one boy. You are learning well.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Nobody: 5:55pm On Mar 01, 2022
GreatAxeMan:
Who created the conditions which led to the destruction of the refineries in the first place and why should the ordinary Nigerian pay for the incompetence of government?

In 1973, government brought in subsidsies for petrol, because of the oil shock occasioned by the Yom Kippur war.

Initially, the subsides were basically government reducing the price of PMS and other products by taking a bit of the profit. The oil sector still made a profit, and there was money to keep refineries running, and even build 2 new refineries self..taking it to 4.

Then in the late 1980/early 1990's, government in essence forced the oil sector to sell refined products like petrol, diesel and kerosene at a lower price than their cost of production, which meant that the oil sector lost money when they sold petrol

But government then decided to pay them a subsidy to cover the loss....while doing things like paying NNPC workers from crude oil revenue instead of the profits they made selling refined products like before (which did not exist now because they were selling below the production cost)

By 1993, Nigerian refineries missed their first turn around maintenance, simply because money was not there to keep them well maintained....and began slowly depreciating until by 2011, we were producing 6 million out of the 42 million liters of fuel per day of fuel.

And that's why we don't have refineries. To have refineries, they have to sell whatever they produce at a profit. Subsidy does not let them do so, plus subsides do not cover their losses resulting from selling petrol at a price below what it costs to produce it...said cost of production always rising because of rising oil prices, and depreciation in the naira brought about by us spending an increasing amount of crude oil revenue on subsidy.

That's the story. You are free not to believe it. And yes, it shows how inept government is, by taking a decision to sell fuel at a loss, and by not letting the industry run profitably. And it affects the industry in other ways.

We now refine fuel abroad in substandard refineries, at a cheap cost, so as to keep subsidy costs low, and the price low.And have been doing so for years. That;s how we got into the bad fuel mess. And even then, the PMS we use here is bad quality.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Nobody: 5:57pm On Mar 01, 2022
tito44:

nice one boy. You are learning well.

You are free to abuse and laugh at me, but I stand by what I wrote about subsides and the industry, and why they should go.

It is my opinion. Subsides have to go. We are losing money every year by keeping them, and getting into debt heavily as a result.

So laugh, but ye can't change that.

And grow up.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by GreatAxeMan: 6:22pm On Mar 01, 2022
backbencher:

In 1973, government brought in subsidsies for petrol, because of the oil shock occasioned by the Yom Kippur war.

Initially, the subsides were basically government reducing the price of PMS and other products by taking a bit of the profit. The oil sector still made a profit, and there was money to keep refineries running, and even build 2 new refineries self..taking it to 4.

This is actually misleading. Nigeria did not have any refineries in 1973 and the number of cars plying Nigeria's roads in 1973 were probably not more than a few hundred thousands, so any temporary subsidy at that time wouldn't have been as astronomical as it is now.

Then in the late 1980/early 1990's, government in essence forced the oil sector to sell refined products like petrol, diesel and kerosene at a lower price than their cost of production, which meant that the oil sector lost money when they sold petrol

In the 1980s all 4 of the refineries were refining enough products to satisfy the needs of the domestic market.

But government then decided to pay them a subsidy to cover the loss....while doing things like paying NNPC workers from crude oil revenue instead of the profits they made selling refined products like before (which did not exist now because they were selling below the production cost)

By 1993, Nigerian refineries missed their first turn around maintenance, simply because money was not there to keep them well maintained....and began slowly depreciating until by 2011, we were producing 6 million out of the 42 million liters of fuel per day of fuel.

Nigerian refineries missed their turn around maintenance because of the insatiable greed and corruption of the Babangida and Abacha regimes and the low price of petroleum caused by Britain's Margaret Thatcher engaging in a price war with OPEC. It's because of these factors that there was no money for turn around maintenance.

And that's why we don't have refineries. To have refineries, they have to sell whatever they produce at a profit. Subsidy does not let them do so, plus subsides do not cover their losses resulting from selling petrol at a price below what it costs to produce it...said cost of production always rising because of rising oil prices, and depreciation in the naira brought about by us spending an increasing amount of crude oil revenue on subsidy.

I agree in substance with this submission, but you overlook the fact that market demand has kept on growing through the decades and the government's failure to privatize early and encourage the building of more refineries. It's actually competitiveness that reduces prices.

That's the story. You are free not to believe it. And yes, it shows how inept government is, by taking a decision to sell fuel at a loss, and by not letting the industry run profitably. And it affects the industry in other ways.

We now refine fuel abroad in substandard refineries, at a cheap cost, so as to keep subsidy costs low, and the price low.And have been doing so for years. That;s how we got into the bad fuel mess. And even then, the PMS we use here is bad quality.

That still doesn't justify making the ordinary citizen to suffer for the greed and ineptitude of government.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by Nobody: 6:31pm On Mar 01, 2022
GreatAxeMan:

This is actually misleading. Nigeria did not have any refineries in 1973 and the number of cars plying Nigeria's roads in 1973 were probably not more than a few hundred thousands, so any temporary subsidy at that time wouldn't have been as astronomical as it is now.

I think we had one refinery though...or two(Old Port Harcourt and Warri)

In the 1980s all 4 of the refineries were refining enough products to satisfy the needs of the domestic market.

Yes, because the subsidy at that time did not mean that they had to sell said product below the production cost. Government cut their price, but still kept it above production cost.

That changed from 1988.

Nigerian refineries missed their turn around maintenance because of the insatiable greed and corruption of the Babangida and Abacha regimes and the low price of petroleum caused by Britain's Margaret Thatcher engaging in a price war with OPEC. It's because of these factors that there was no money for turn around maintenance.

And because we suddenly decided to sell petrol below the production price and took certain measures like underpaying for the refining process....all to keep subsidy costs low. (subsidy being the amount now paid to cover the losses resulting from the government now selling petrol below the production cost.

I agree in substance with this submission, but you overlook the fact that market demand has kept on growing through the decades and the government's failure to privatize early and encourage the building of more refineries. It's actually competitiveness that reduces prices.

Yes, which is why I support subsidy removal. It would encourage that competitiveness.

That still doesn't justify making the ordinary citizen to suffer for the greed and ineptitude of government.

And it still does not justify us selling fuel at N162, when the landing cost is way above that, and paying a subsidy that does not cover the loss.

Same thing happened in Venezuela. Decades of subsides means no profits means they have bad refineries. Plus, they lose 18 billion dollars to smuggling because their neighbours all sell at market price. Same thing in Nigeria

Plus the thing is forcing us into debt. Making the same masses suffer well well. (Budget deficits). Right now, we have to find 3 trillion to cover subsidy costs, up from one trillion some years ago, and 2 trillion last year.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Ibadan Residents Groan As Petrol Price Increases by kay29000(m): 6:32pm On Mar 01, 2022
Abikeade11:
Black Markets are selling 500 per litre, I said I can't buy it, I had to queue in the filling station for 220 per litre as at Saturday evening and on top of that ibedc refuse to give us light, we don't have choice except to burn fuel everyday. Only God can save us.

It is well. That's why I ran to lagos last week. Fuel scarcity situation in lagos is still better in lagos than Ibadan right now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? / Lagos Oil And Gas Corporation Gets Certification / Edo Primaries: Fayemi Commends Tinubu, Ganduje, Slams Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.