Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,426 members, 7,812,254 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges (958 Views)

Yahoo Boy Caught On Camera On Live News After Being Tracked By The FBI (Video) / LASG Exonerates Staff From Trumped-Up Charges After Investigation / Romanian Immigrant Arrives UK On Friday, Steals On Saturday, Jailed On Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by NigeriaAbroad: 9:24am On Mar 02, 2022
Why the FBI got me jailed on ‘trumped-up charges’—Olufolajimi Abegunde

Olufolajimi Abegunde, a Nigerian man arrested and convicted on wire fraud charges while pursuing his master’s at a US university, alleges that the Federal Bureau of Investigation framed him up and jailed him for offences he didn’t commit.

Recall that the 35-year-old founder of money transfer firm TranzAlert, according to this investigation, is calling for justice, accusing US law enforcement agencies of not only jailing “an innocent man” but also frustrating his efforts to get redress.

The investigative report says Abegunde was arrested after he harbored a Nigerian friend and banker whose pregnant wife was to have a baby in America. The banker, one Ayodeji Ojo, had opened a bank account using Abegunde’s US phone number and address. An “inadvertent” fraudulent transaction linked to that account got Abegunde into trouble.

However, a 2019 indictment published by the US Justice Department says the Nigerian man conspired with others to commit BEC fraud against US citizens, and then laundered the proceeds using his firm.

Abegunde denies the charges, saying he neither knows any of the alleged co-conspirators nor has he done any business with them. The indictment by the Justice Department was based on "lies," he states.

The FBI also accuses Abegunde of committing marriage fraud—that he was living with his divorced Nigerian wife in Atlanta while married to a US service member deployed to South Korea—"for immigration papers and health benefits.”

Speaking to Nigeria Abroad for the fourth time in two weeks from a prison facility in Tennessee, Abegunde continues to insist on his innocence, calling on American rights groups and the Nigerian government to intervene.

After his conviction in 2019, he filed an appeal citing “lack of evidence” and that not a cent was traced to him in the said fraudulent transactions. The appeal was first rejected and, when later heard, the court affirmed the initial ruling.

“My lawyer messed me up,” he told the magazine, adding that his attorney may have been blackmailed by American law enforcement to work against him, seeing as the lawyer allegedly abandoned their prepared argument in the defense and went off on a tangent...Click on the link below to read the complete report.

https://nigeriabroad.com/why-the-fbi-got-me-jailed-on--trumped-up-charges--olufolajimi-abegunde

Mynd44, OAM4

Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by vibre: 9:29am On Mar 02, 2022
After reading the article, I can tell you something for sure, this man is a criminal. FBI picked the right man and they should make sure he faces justice

3 Likes

Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by FreeIgboho: 9:43am On Mar 02, 2022
vibre:
After reading the article, I can tell you something for sure, this man is a criminal. FBI picked the right man and they should make sure he faces justice

You said it all. He can try to fool Americans but we Nigerians know ourselves grin

3 Likes

Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:07am On Mar 02, 2022
This guy can forget about help from American Rights groups because he is guilty as sin. He thinks people are stupid enough to believe what he claims when tons of evidence was stacked against him.
The court transcripts and his letters to the judge are linked to that website. This guy thinks he’s smarter than everyone in the world.

2 Likes

Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by Kpengla(m): 11:30am On Mar 02, 2022
NigeriaAbroad:
Why the FBI got me jailed on ‘trumped-up charges’—Olufolajimi Abegunde

Olufolajimi Abegunde, a Nigerian man arrested and convicted on wire fraud charges while pursuing his master’s at a US university, alleges that the Federal Bureau of Investigation framed him up and jailed him for offences he didn’t commit.

Recall that the 35-year-old founder of money transfer firm TranzAlert, according to this investigation, is calling for justice, accusing US law enforcement agencies of not only jailing “an innocent man” but also frustrating his efforts to get redress.

The investigative report says Abegunde was arrested after he harbored a Nigerian friend and banker whose pregnant wife was to have a baby in America. The banker, one Ayodeji Ojo, had opened a bank account using Abegunde’s US phone number and address. An “inadvertent” fraudulent transaction linked to that account got Abegunde into trouble.

However, a 2019 indictment published by the US Justice Department says the Nigerian man conspired with others to commit BEC fraud against US citizens, and then laundered the proceeds using his firm.

Abegunde denies the charges, saying he neither knows any of the alleged co-conspirators nor has he done any business with them. The indictment by the Justice Department was based on "lies," he states.

The FBI also accuses Abegunde of committing marriage fraud—that he was living with his divorced Nigerian wife in Atlanta while married to a US service member deployed to South Korea—"for immigration papers and health benefits.”

Speaking to Nigeria Abroad for the fourth time in two weeks from a prison facility in Tennessee, Abegunde continues to insist on his innocence, calling on American rights groups and the Nigerian government to intervene.

After his conviction in 2019, he filed an appeal citing “lack of evidence” and that not a cent was traced to him in the said fraudulent transactions. The appeal was first rejected and, when later heard, the court affirmed the initial ruling.

“My lawyer messed me up,” he told the magazine, adding that his attorney may have been blackmailed by American law enforcement to work against him, seeing as the lawyer allegedly abandoned their prepared argument in the defense and went off on a tangent...Click on the link below to read the complete report.

https://nigeriabroad.com/why-the-fbi-got-me-jailed-on--trumped-up-charges--olufolajimi-abegunde

Mynd44, OAM4

You're a thief bro, quit whining and do your time like a man

2 Likes

Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by Nobody: 11:40am On Mar 02, 2022
Ignorance is no excuse...am sure you are aware your friend is a scammer, ole. Do your time, as a man, stop crying like a bitch.
Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by Kajaard: 11:42am On Mar 02, 2022
I will never defend any Nigerian anymore. Majority of us are too criminal minded for my liking. Please do your time and stop bothering us.

1 Like

Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by Dialpad: 11:47am On Mar 02, 2022
You commit crime in the USA and assume they are stupid. Someone they may have been investigating for years...

He should be out by 2025 ....

evidence presented at trial showed that Abegunde, who received an MBA from Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, engaged in black-market currency exchanges over the life of the conspiracy.  Purporting to hold himself out as a legitimate businessman, Abegunde claimed association with a business entity that was not yet operational in late 2017, so for his primary source of income he relied on his off-the-book currency exchanges.  Through this network, Abegeunde played a key role, along with Ramos-Alonso, in laundering fraud funds from an Oct. 3, 2016, business email compromise (BEC) of a land title company located in Bellingham, Washington.  The proceeds of another BEC perpetrated in July 2016 upon a real estate company in Memphis, Tennessee, also moved through parts of the same criminal organization.

1 Like

Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by 1stGenAmerican(f): 2:04pm On Mar 02, 2022
The court hired a Yoruba linguist to translate the recorded calls and Whatapp Messages. Money was sent to and fro the guy he says he doesn’t know. What kind of criminal is dumb enough to make calls from inside a prison to talk about crimes and conspire to lie without knowing jail calls are recorded?

All the transcripts ~ https://free-efjay.org/transcripts

3 Likes

Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by FreeIgboho: 4:58pm On Mar 03, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
The court hired a Yoruba linguist to translate the recorded calls and Whatapp Messages. Money was sent to and fro the guy he says he doesn’t know. What kind of criminal is dumb enough to make calls from inside a prison to talk about crimes and conspire to lie without knowing jail calls are recorded?

grin Good one

1 Like

Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by tit(f): 7:07pm On Mar 03, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

So you guys gave him a fair trial, then hung him.
Then, after, listened to his phone calls to get evidence?
Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:40pm On Mar 03, 2022
tit:

So you guys gave him a fair trial, then hung him.
Then, after, listened to his phone calls to get evidence?

No. While in jail awaiting trial, he made phone calls to others discussing how to hide his fraud and those were recorded. The reason he was jailed until his trial was because he was caught at the airport trying to escape. His trial was fair. He hung himself.
Re: Why The FBI Got Me Jailed On ‘trumped-up Charges by MufasaLion: 9:47pm On Mar 03, 2022
This dude should zip his filthy mouth. He's guilty!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

True Sponsors Of Bandits Revealed. / Man B£ats His 5-year-old Son Untill He Passed Out For Misplacing His Bet Slip / How Do I Arrest A POS Fake Alert Criminal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.