Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position (10388 Views)

Work Hard Or Smart? What's Your Opinion? / What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Nobody: 2:56pm On Mar 03, 2022
Just be yourself.
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by ednut1(m): 2:58pm On Mar 03, 2022
in Nigeria a manager is expected to have like 7 to 10 years of working experience, be mean and able to take tough decisions, be married ( so its hard running away with his family after stealing company money). naso he be, which is trash tho
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by President2001(m): 2:59pm On Mar 03, 2022
When we're talking about being a productive leader age is have anything to do about that, your intelligent, understanding the growth , in the stage of difficulty believe you can deliver
See many ages People in managerial position are liability eating where they did not sow
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Dammysmart: 3:04pm On Mar 03, 2022
Dear OP, sadly it appears your prospective recruiters are myopic in reasoning and equally prioritize physical features above capability. I was just 24 when I started moving men old enough to be my father, I moved them into risky moments and have to think for them. It's not about physical feature its about the authority you are conferred. If you are given a gun and there is bullet in it for you to fire, trust me no baggar can mess with you.

Dont feel bad about your stature, I was smaller than you were but I covered up with my composure, knowledge and confidence
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by na2016: 3:05pm On Mar 03, 2022
KOPArespect:
Good afternoon nairalanders, I will try to be brief.

Now I am depressed and I have been trying to hit the gym to see if there can be a change in my size.

My question is; what has age got to do with leadership, potentials and capability? And what will you advise?

Op: Age doesn't but your physic may affect you
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by jonili(m): 3:05pm On Mar 03, 2022
KOPArespect:

I graduated 2018 as a 25 years old boy, went for service in 2019 and started working at a private secondary school as a teacher. The pay was poor and i began job hunting with about 30 different CV's for different job positions.

To cut the long story short, I got an interview invite for a managerial position in a hotel that I have no idea of. A week to the interview date, I did my homework and research about the job details, prepared for the interview and I pass... Ever since, I have been doing well.

The only challenge i have is the manner at which people get sacked at my place of work. As a matter of fact, myself and 2 other line managers are the remaining one out of about 13 of us employed in July 2020 and the fear of being sacked has made me to keep on with my job hunting game.

Now I am 29, with a slim stature and a childish/female-like voice. With the power of my CV, I have been invited for interview by the 2 best international brand of my industry Marriott and Hilton, but the moment I show up, the first thing I use to hear is are you sure you are Mr ****, then after the whole interview,they will be like; 'you are good but still small' cry

Now I am depressed and I have been trying to hit the gym to see if there can be a change in my size.

My question is; what has age got to do with leadership, potentials and capability? And what will you advise?

We seem to have that in common,
The first day I resumed at my current job, the HR manager's first question was how old are you are you not too young for this role. I felt embarrassed because the office was filled with young male and female staffs.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Bimpe29: 3:13pm On Mar 03, 2022
Don't be depressed! The most important thing is your self confidence and esteem. It's really matter of the content not the physique or stature. El-Rufai is a living testimony.
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by obajoey(m): 3:16pm On Mar 03, 2022
Man made laws

God is above every man made laws.

When it's your time.. They will rush u

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Titaniumental: 3:18pm On Mar 03, 2022
KOPArespect:

I graduated 2018 as a 25 years old boy, went for service in 2019 and started working at a private secondary school as a teacher. The pay was poor and i began job hunting with about 30 different CV's for different job positions.

To cut the long story short, I got an interview invite for a managerial position in a hotel that I have no idea of. A week to the interview date, I did my homework and research about the job details, prepared for the interview and I pass... Ever since, I have been doing well.

The only challenge i have is the manner at which people get sacked at my place of work. As a matter of fact, myself and 2 other line managers are the remaining one out of about 13 of us employed in July 2020 and the fear of being sacked has made me to keep on with my job hunting game.

Now I am 29, with a slim stature and a childish/female-like voice. With the power of my CV, I have been invited for interview by the 2 best international brand of my industry Marriott and Hilton, but the moment I show up, the first thing I use to hear is are you sure you are Mr ****, then after the whole interview,they will be like; 'you are good but still small' cry

You're confusing us here

What exactly is the issue here,is it the age or your physical build?

Cos from your story you said your are 29yrs old and I don't think that age should be an issue cos 29yrs of age ain't small......
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Focusmind: 3:24pm On Mar 03, 2022
Sorry about that. But that's what it is, especially in a customer facing position. You got to look "imposing" according to the word used by the MD of a company I once consulted for when he was looking for a client relationship manager.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by haftob(m): 3:28pm On Mar 03, 2022
KOPArespect:

The thing is, most traditional international companies takes age into account when recruiting employees. They have a age group for every position/rank/level and this is because they don't want someone too young managing people outside of his age group, it may lead to insubordination.
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Walexwisdom(m): 3:53pm On Mar 03, 2022
Age, voice and stature doesn't really matter but I will suggest you keep a positive attitude and believe in yourself... Your right time will and you gonna get the big job

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Scientheosopher(m): 4:39pm On Mar 03, 2022
KOPArespect:

Hit the gym and do manly voice training.
It's not your age. If it were, they likely wouldn't have invited you after going through your CV. Instead, it's your body size/shape and female voice.
#A reasonable man adapts himself to circumstances. (Of course, in a way that wouldn't harm his health and reputation)
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by blackpanda: 4:59pm On Mar 03, 2022
KOPArespect:

I understand how you feel because its the same thing i am going through. I work in one of the most key government Ministries. At 35years of age the entire Ministry knows my name. infact many people tell me how the Ministry may not be able to function optimally had it been i didnt work there. But when it comes to juicy postings, highly beneficial responsibilities, i get sidelined. they keep chanting "wait your turn". The most annoying thing is that those old mama and papa who get these opportunities will still turn around to give me the work to do. The are old, lazy and totally not ready to do any work. They only want to go on foreign trips, eat money and dont come to work
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 03, 2022
Calibrator:
It is not enough to qualify, you gotta look the part.

Look the part? what is he interviewing for? WWE?
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by jarmy: 5:44pm On Mar 03, 2022
I can feel your pain.

Most Nigerians are myopic and not objective in their selection. Pls don't let it get to you. My advice is try to build your own business.

Imagine, some people will address you with disrespect just because you have a small or even average frame. What a country!

KOPArespect:

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by OctoberEleven: 6:03pm On Mar 03, 2022
Managerial positions require experience, it doesn't matter what age you are with said experience.
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Aaaoo: 6:24pm On Mar 03, 2022
Neutral
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by slimmax: 7:53pm On Mar 03, 2022
You are not the only one in this shoes o, na my small baby face dey decieve most people, na the reason I dey keep full hair and beards to hide my baby face
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Funkybabee(f): 8:42pm On Mar 03, 2022
Bro a no dey kill myself because of any stature
or age, my believe is that, it's not mine, my blessing will never been hindrance if it's my own oooo

Some people do ask me atimes if I'm the owner of my certificate, I went for an interview like 5 years ago, they said my word is too big for my body na so I declined their work thou later went there to do my IT.

If it's your own, it shall never pass u by, if u keep thinking about it, it can lead to depression or hypertensive case.

I had such experienced before.

never in my life will I allow someone to depressed me, na to give u sharp sharp response instead of going inside to cry

Or better still cry to God what they are saying about u after all u didn't create urself

Iyanu ma sele brother
Let keep fighting, don't forget me I'm into hospitality pls

A bsc degree holder

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by Cousin9999: 9:09pm On Mar 03, 2022
1. Managers need a broad set of skills to be effective and decent at their job. It's not that a younger person can't do it, it's that they're less likely to have the training and experience for it.

2. The positions you're going for are honestly not that challenging unless the site/facility is large, with a lot of staff, and offers a number of services. Generally speaking, your tasks and responsibilities are pretty narrow and repetitive. Still, it's not surprising that hiring managers are concerned you're not ready for the responsibility.

3. You're getting valuable experience and that will open doors. You need to articulate your experience and responsibilities instead of worrying about perception. You should also take opportunities to get more training. Attend workshops, conferences, and etc. Also, you may be applying for positions that differ too much from what you're currently doing in terms of scope.

4. Regardless, you're doing great! You've lasted where others didn't, and a number of companies are interested in your talent. So many people would love to be in your position.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by KOPArespect: 10:24pm On Mar 03, 2022
You are right bro..
NaijaGoBetter20:
For hotel work, I think body structure is one of the requirements for a managerial position, someone customer won't respect you if you are not macho or look older than them.

But I don't think gym can change your feminist voice.
Re: What Is Your Opinion About Age And Managerial Position by KOPArespect: 10:26pm On Mar 03, 2022
Thanks for making my day...
Cousin9999:
1. Managers need a broad set of skills to be effective and decent at their job. It's not that a younger person can't do it, it's that they're less likely to have the training and experience for it.

2. The positions you're going for are honestly not that challenging unless the site/facility is large, with a lot of staff, and offers a number of services. Generally speaking, your tasks and responsibilities are pretty narrow and repetitive. Still, it's not surprising that hiring managers are concerned you're not ready for the responsibility.

3. You're getting valuable experience and that will open doors. You need to articulate your experience and responsibilities instead of worrying about perception. You should also take opportunities to get more training. Attend workshops, conferences, and etc. Also, you may be applying for positions that differ too much from what you're currently doing in terms of scope.

4. Regardless, you're doing great! You've lasted where others didn't, and a number of companies are interested in your talent. So many people would love to be in your position.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Study In Nigeria Or Travel To Asia To Work / Acca December 08 Diet Meets Here / 7 Deliberate Ways To Start 2019 By Being Patient And Trusting Your Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.