Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,101 members, 7,811,100 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? (1171 Views)

Very Clean 2009 Nisan Murano LE With Low Odometer For 2.050M / 2009 Honda Civic Ex Odometer 20k @ 2.7mil / 1998 Rav4 *toks* @RHD -600k @LHD 725k: Odometer-62k SOLD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? by fizzybaba(m): 5:05pm On Jun 28, 2011
Hi all

I will keep this as concise as possible.

We took delievery of a 2000 honda accord car in the month of May.This car is super clean inside and out. The paint shines so brighlty while the leather seat are as immaculate as anything. And whats more? a low mileage at 59,000 to match

This state of super clean led to doubts in some quarters about the genuity of the vehicle. I decided to do a check here on autos section immediately.
I just got a report (on page 25 of free vin check thread. top most reply by inspired) showing the last odometer reading was 119,177!

Should i say am surprised? not actually. I am disappointed however. The odometer has been obviously tampered with. We source our cars from a woman we trust so very much.Am curious though, could she have ordered for the roll back and why? we didnt give an odometer specification.

The odometer roll back was also not reported. does that imply it was done in Nigeria?

Please keep the comments flowing in
Re: Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? by femmy2010(m): 5:56pm On Jun 28, 2011
The roll back could have been done anywhere and jumping into d conclusion that your trusted source rolled it back is not the best.
Just be glad that you got a clean buy option.
Best of luck.
Re: Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? by Fhemmmy: 6:08pm On Jun 28, 2011
The roll back could have been anywhere.
However, whoever roll that back is not smart at all, cos what is the point rolling back a 2000 Honda Accord, a 12 years old ride with 119K Miles (Superb already low mileage) ride?
Re: Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 28, 2011
fizzybaba:

The odometer roll back was also not reported. does that imply it was done in Nigeria?

Car dealers right there in the US do odometer roll backs. When I got my car last year May in the US the odometer read close to 40k. The guy who got it happily and gleefully reported to me how he had secured a low mileage car. But alas when we checked the carfax it was 92k a month or so previous to the time of sale in May. We complained to the dealer, and all he could say was that we could always return the car if we were no longer interested. But as the car was actually in very good condition (just as you say yours was), I opted to keep it. Yes, rolling back odometer reading is a criminal and federal offence in the US, but many bad car dealers just can't resist the temptation of roll backs in order perhaps to raise the price value of the car. The carfax will only report the last officially reported incident on the car. So, between then and when a dubious car dealer sells the car, he could tamper with the reading, and get away with it if you don't have the carfax report to compare with the actual readings on the car.
Re: Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? by mastro: 7:27pm On Jun 28, 2011
That's easy, the woman you trust so much, the one that you get cars from, is she a car dealer?

If yes, then either she did it herself or knows it was done.

P.S. seeing that you source multiple cars from her, I suggest you go and verify the mileage on all of them for what it's worth, remember only someone you trust can cheat you
Re: Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? by Fhemmmy: 7:33pm On Jun 28, 2011
mastro:

That's easy, the woman you trust so much, the one that you get cars from, is she a car dealer?

If yes, then either she did it herself or knows it was done.

P.S. seeing that you source multiple cars from her, I suggest you go and verify the mileage on all of them for what it's worth, remember only someone you trust can cheat you

Nice suggestion
Re: Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? by calculusx(m): 11:56am On Jun 29, 2011
[b]@ OP. Odometer roll back can be done anywhere either here or in USA. If you are a dealer and you resell those cars i will advise you let the woman knows about it cos i could remember a scenario where a dealer was accused of odometer rollback here which was unknowingly to him it was done over there.
Aside that, i blame it on some buyers {end users} who are after low mileage cars as if that determines the performance of the Car. Some buyers will be hell bent on getting low mileage Car for an unreasonable price which will force the agent or the middleman to roll back the odometer.
I sold a 99 Camry with 80,000 original miles for someone and he still went ahead and roll it back to 55,000 and i asked him why? He said that is what the Buyer wants. I got my Cash so im less concerned. We have taken time on so many threads on this forum to educate buyers on odometer, some buyers price high mileage Cars ridiculously and some will even label it not good to be put on the road.

@OP Call the woman's attention,some dealers do it b'cos the buyer wants it for unreasonable price. Nothing good comes easy[/b]
Re: Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? by kuntash: 12:49pm On Jun 29, 2011
calculusx:

Aside that, i blame it on some buyers {end users} who are after low mileage cars as if that determines the performance of the Car. Some buyers will be hell bent on getting low mileage Car for an unreasonable price which will force the agent or the middleman to roll back the odometer.

I see u to be a high rated car seller on this thread b4, why make such comments? have you dispalyed sincere options of various mileage on the cars with different prices and the buyer still insist on getting the low mileage at the cost of a relatively high mileage?

moreso you need not wonder or ask urself why the price variance @ source for high/low mileage vehicles as well as the yr of manufacture,

Do biz straight my friend,  if u are,  no matter what, people would patronize u even if na your own cost pass, others like me would see u as a sincere seller and tell more people about u,  rather than forcing the money from d customer @ all cost and later blame him or laugh @ him as u have just done.
Re: Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? by calculusx(m): 2:18pm On Jun 29, 2011
kuntash:

I see u to be a high rated car seller on this thread b4, why make such comments? have you dispalyed sincere options of various mileage on the cars with different prices and the buyer still insist on getting the low mileage at the cost of a relatively high mileage?

moreso you need not wonder or ask urself why the price variance @ source for high/low mileage vehicles as well as the yr of manufacture,

Do biz straight my friend,  if u are,  no matter what, people would patronize u even if na your own cost pass, others like me would see u as a sincere seller and tell more people about u,  rather than forcing the money from d customer @ all cost and later blame him or laugh @ him as u have just done.

@kuntash the above is off Nairaland or related to any Nairaland Customer. Just my view on what i encountered whereby an end-user confine in someone who might be a mechanic,friend or a dealer to get a low mileage car for them at a cost i don't know. At First, i taught he was an end-user until when he came to pickup the Car the following day with someone who helped him do the rollback before i got to know he bought the Car on behalf of someone. I hope I answered that correctly as i'm in the middle of something.
Re: Odometer Scam, Where Did It Occur? by fizzybaba(m): 10:28am On Jun 30, 2011
thnx all

Enlightening responses

kuntash, u can blame calculux. the end user is a third party

(1) (Reply)

2002 Volkswagen Golf4 @1.3m / Toks Lagos Clear Toyota Camry Tin Light 4 Sale / 2009/2010 Camry Toyota 3.6 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.