Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,647 members, 7,816,660 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Polish 'ultra' Fans Intimidate BBC Africa Reporters In Migrant Arrival Town Pet - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Polish 'ultra' Fans Intimidate BBC Africa Reporters In Migrant Arrival Town Pet (243 Views)

Poland Won't Give Its Fighter Jets Or Allow Ukraine Use Its Airports - Polish PM / Sky TV Reporters Covering The War In Kyiv Come Under Heavy Gunfire (Video) / Taliban Bans Female Reporters From Working In State Television (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Polish 'ultra' Fans Intimidate BBC Africa Reporters In Migrant Arrival Town Pet by olugabbie(m): 5:22pm On Mar 04, 2022
My BBC Africa colleagues and I have been intimidated by "ultra" football fans in Przemyśl, in southern Poland, where we have been reporting on those fleeing the conflict in Ukraine.

We had been hearing over the last few days that they had come into the city to "protect" it from African and Asian refugees crossing over from Ukraine.

On Wednesday after finishing our day's reporting, our team, made up of me - a black Nigerian - my white Irish producer and a black British cameraman - decided to go out for dinner.

The first restaurant we went to said it was full, though it didn't look it - the waitress suggested we could go to a bar up the road - but the moment we got there, a woman ushered us out and said they were closed.

We ended up going to a pizza place.

As we left at about 20:00 local time we noticed about six men chatting among themselves about 30m (100ft) away. Locals had said these were the "ultra" fans patrolling the town.

The moment they saw us walking, they started towards us and quickly formed a loose semi-circle around us.

"Where are you from? What're you doing?" two or three asked at the same time. They weren't shouting, but we heard the menace in their voices.

When we explained we were journalists from London and with the BBC, they mumbled to each other and at first said we could go.

We hurriedly moved away from them but then one of them shouted for us to stop and ran over to check our ID cards.

As we walked back to our vehicle through the back roads of Przemyśl, we saw several small groups of men. Some stopped and stared at us while others just walked on.

In all a very unnerving situation.

(1) (Reply)

Russia /ukraine War Benefit To Countries With Natural Gas / U.S-NATO Are Overrated / Breaking: Sky News Condemn UK For Turning Ukraine People Away.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.