Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,100 members, 7,835,701 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. (354 Views)

Nnamdi Okafor: I Will Rather Be A Refugee Or Die In Ukraine Than Return / Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria / Jewish Refugee Wills €2Million To French Village For Protection Against Nazi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. by radec: 12:19pm On Mar 05, 2022
The first batch of more than 400 Nigerians who fled the ongoing war in Ukraine following the Russian invasion returned back to the country on Friday morning, grateful that the government came to their rescue.

But it is a mixed bag as many others have vowed not to come back to the country, wondering what they would be doing after their return.

The first set arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja aboard a Max Air flight.

The returnees, most of whom were students, arrived shortly after 6.30 am on a chartered Max Air flight from Romania’s capital Bucharest

Foreign Ministry official, Gabriel Aduda, tweeted pictures of the group inside an aircraft late on Thursday, saying “415 Nigerians mostly students fleeing the Ukraine-Russian war from Bucharest.”

Many looked tired but relieved that their journey was over.

“I’m very happy to be back home, thank you, Nigeria!” one young woman said as she walked off the tarmac and into the terminal building in Abuja.

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, said there were about 5,600 Nigerian students in Ukraine and an estimated 8,000 Nigerian citizens in the country before the war.

On Monday he said an estimated 1,000 citizens were ready for pickup from Romania, 200 others in Slovakia, and 250 both in Hungary and Poland.

A million refugees have fled Ukraine so far, the UN said Thursday, warning that unless the onslaught ended immediately, millions more were likely to flee.

Ghana on Tuesday became the first African country to return its citizens, flying home 17 out of 500 stranded students.

Meanwhile, even as the returnees remain grateful that they are back home, many other Nigerians have chosen to stay back in Ukraine or escape to any of the neighbouring countries rather than coming back to Nigeria.

One of them, Nnamdi Okafor, who spoke to TheNiche in an exclusive chat on phone, Thursday, said he would rather die in Ukraine than return to Nigeria.

“What am I coming back to Nigeria to do? Has anything changed in our country,” the 32-year-old from Anambra State, queried.

Okafor who said he is an economic migrant to Ukraine said in a worst case scenario, he would leave Ukraine for any other country, but definitely not Nigeria.

Narrating his ordeal in Nigeria, Okafor who said he read engineering in a Nigerian polytechnic, said coming back to the country does not cross his mind at all.

“For now, I am still in Ukraine. I used to live in the capital city, Kyiv, but I have moved to one of the border towns which is relatively safe presently.

“But if the war reaches there, I will escape to another country by the grace of God. But if death becomes my destiny, so be it. I would rather remain here a refugee than return to Nigeria.”

Asked why he will not take advantage of the Nigerian government’s free evacuation and return home, he said life in Nigeria was pure hell not worth experiencing twice in one lifetime.

“My brother, the question you should have asked is why I left Nigeria in the first place. I came to Ukraine two years ago. Before I did, I had stayed in Nigeria for five years after my Youth Service without a job. My country psychologically abused me. I was frustrated and miserable. I almost lost hope in life. I was depressed.

“But it took me only two months to secure a good job when I came to Ukraine in early 2020. If not for this senseless war, life was beginning to have meaning for me once again.

“So, if I hop into the plane because I have seen a free flight, what happens after I come down in Abuja or Lagos or wherever? Has anything changed in Nigeria? Will I now get the job, lack of which forced me out?

“I am not coming back. This war will end one day. But if it doesn’t, we will decide what next to do. But coming back to Nigeria is out of it for now. And mind you, I am not the only one staying put. The students who were sent here by their rich parents to study may go home, but I doubt if any economic migrant like me will dare do that,” he concluded.
Re: I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. by uthlaw: 12:26pm On Mar 05, 2022
Omo,I also rather die there than to come back a country that will kill me without war!

2 Likes

Re: I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. by Almaigaa: 12:31pm On Mar 05, 2022
Most of those that don't want to come back are IPOB Bandits and their SYMPERTISERS. Most of them are there without papers. They don't want to return cause they are there for criminal reasons.

Re: I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. by spydera: 12:31pm On Mar 05, 2022
I swear...
Coming back to do what exactly?!!
Is it to join the ASUU strike or queue for fuel...lol
It is not like the Fg will give each and every one of them the 100 dols.

1 Like

Re: I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. by Hezzyluv: 12:31pm On Mar 05, 2022
Even the man below is shocked

2 Likes

Re: I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. by Ekpeitit(m): 12:37pm On Mar 05, 2022
That's a Biafran not Nigerian. We should cancel his passport, let Jim use Biafran passport.
Re: I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. by spydera: 12:38pm On Mar 05, 2022
Northern Nigeria has been invaded by terrorist, but how many Nigerian citizen have opted to help in joining the forces on ground to win the fight?
None!
When the Fg keep lying about casualties, the military keeps killing boko haram twin leaders and feeding the massed with false news etc
At this point, I'd rather fight for dem racist 'Ukraine', that for this Zoo.
To those that still believes, keep believing but ask yourself this:
If Nigeria is to be invaded or gets into a serious war with neighboring country (even if its chad) will you fight for your father abi mother land?
Re: I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. by kettykin: 12:43pm On Mar 05, 2022
As bad as it is in Ukraine, Ukraine is still far better than Nigeria

1 Like

Re: I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. by Jostoman: 12:58pm On Mar 05, 2022
Terrorist are killing them in the north, security agent sponsoring by some desperate governors are doing their own in the southeast, there is hardship in the land, fuel scarcity everywhere. So tell me are we not at war already in Nigeria?
Re: I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. by beerfraud: 1:06pm On Mar 05, 2022
Bastard ibo pikin
Re: I’ll Rather Remain A Refugee Than Return To Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 05, 2022
Ok ! Bye bye wooooo ?

(1) (Reply)

Managing A Business Abroad. The Pros And Cons / Look At All The Crashes Around The World, All American Boeing Planes. / For Someone To Travel Out Of His/her Country, Does It Make Them Rich Or Successf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.