Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations (12115 Views)

Taliban Celebrate Their New US Arsenal. / BREAKING: Britain’s US Ambassador Resigns after Trump spat / Blast Reported In Beijing Near US Embassy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Oddfinder: 11:08pm On Mar 05, 2022
BEIJING -- New U.S. Ambassador Nicholas Burns has arrived to take up his post in Beijing amid heightened tensions between China and the United States over Taiwan, trade, human rights and the war in Ukraine.

Burns arrived Friday with his wife Libby and a group of other U.S. diplomats and their families and will undergo three weeks of quarantine at his official residence as China requires, according to a U.S. Embassy spokesperson.

During his quarantine, the ambassador will virtually meet with U.S. Mission staff, the spokesperson said.

The post had been empty since Terry Branstad departed in October 2020.

Burns is a career diplomat, former State Department spokesperson, ambassador to NATO and leading academic, teaching most recently at the Harvard Kennedy School and serving as a foreign policy adviser to Joe Biden’s presidential campaign.

The U.S. and China are considered leading geopolitical rivals, particularly for influence in the Indo-Pacific region where China's growing military and economic clout is challenging U.S. dominance.

While the Biden administration professes a desire for a more stable and predictable relationship, it has maintained higher tariffs on Chinese imports imposed by former President Donald Trump and continued a trend of closer relations with Taiwan, the self-governing island China claims as a breakaway province.

Most recently, China was irked by a U.S.-led diplomatic boycott of last month's Beijing Winter Olympics in protest over human rights violations, particularly the mass incarceration and mistreatment of Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities in the northwestern region of Xinjiang.

China has also refused to condemn Russia over its brutal invasion of Ukraine, blaming the U.S. for instigating the conflict by encouraging NATO expansion and refusing to consider Moscow's security concerns.

Burns' own appointment became caught up in those issues when Republican Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida announced in November that he had put the nomination on hold in an effort to press Biden to sign into law bipartisan legislation he co-authored banning products made with Uyghur forced labor in western China.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-ambassador-arrives-beijing-amid-tense-relations-83266824?cid=social_twitter_abcn

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Oddfinder: 11:10pm On Mar 05, 2022
Hands up if you think the US can wage war with both Russia and China at the same time!
Wow..i thread made front page..I'm so happy and elated.. my first front page actually

20 Likes

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by verybadmouth(m): 7:10am On Mar 06, 2022
China USA is the original war. Russia Ukraine are babies

10 Likes

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by WonderManly(m): 7:10am On Mar 06, 2022
Okay now...

6 Likes

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 06, 2022
Eh from Canada, giving the current situation in Ukraine, I hope he doesn't go missing after a month in China.
Still jamming Neighborhood Superstar by Dababy though

1 Like

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by 96ACE: 7:10am On Mar 06, 2022
grin
Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by DuBLINGreenb(m): 7:11am On Mar 06, 2022
This one no concern us na

I hope they nuke themselves

Nigeria is too hot, we need a nuclear winter to cool off.

3 Likes

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Nobody: 7:11am On Mar 06, 2022
Oddfinder:
Hands up if you think the US can wage war with both Russia and China at the same time!
NATO not US.

6 Likes

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by mrmacdon(m): 7:12am On Mar 06, 2022
Wat ever, happy Sunday all
Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by nomenclature(m): 7:12am On Mar 06, 2022
Only in your dreams,stop watching American movies
Oddfinder:

12 Likes

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:12am On Mar 06, 2022
Peace is all we need in the world.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Lordbinsmar: 7:13am On Mar 06, 2022
grin
Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by seunny4lif(m): 7:15am On Mar 06, 2022
Oddfinder:
Have you join the army grin
Lead don’t worry, others will follow you

1 Like

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Justpraise21: 7:15am On Mar 06, 2022
Good for them angry angry angry
Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by obonujoker(m): 7:16am On Mar 06, 2022
Hope they can reach compromises.

No one wants war

1 Like

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by inoki247: 7:16am On Mar 06, 2022
Na person wey don chop belleful dey fight...

1 Like

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Mrbenny001: 7:16am On Mar 06, 2022
I think china has smell Bidin weakness...this is time to strike
Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by PrinceMajestic: 7:19am On Mar 06, 2022
China will reclaim Taiwan and nothing will happen. You can all see the cowards isreal and their master USA are obviously afraid of Russia that is why their prime minister has been begging Russia for soft landing because there are presence of Russian troops in northern Syria. I just want to see these Bastards Israel and US burn to ashes

5 Likes

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Jackanda1(m): 7:26am On Mar 06, 2022
China is the only worthy rival the US has.
Putin is a poor man with nuclear weapons grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Slaysor: 7:28am On Mar 06, 2022
M
Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by GlobalWay: 7:28am On Mar 06, 2022
Bb
Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by GlobalWay: 7:33am On Mar 06, 2022
PrinceMajestic:
China will reclaim Taiwan and nothing will happen. You can all see the cowards isreal and their master USA are obviously afraid of Russia that is why their prime minister has been begging Russia for soft landing because there are presence of Russian troops in northern Syria. I just want to see these Bastards Israel and US burn to ashes
We aready know why you and your likes on NL are wishing so much evil for USA. Still fresh in our memory is how Buhari was shaking like jelly in front of Trump when he was summoned to USA and seriously warned never to kill Christians again, else he shall be ruthlessly dealt with. No single Killing since then till as soon as Trump left Office. Immediately after, unleashed Jihadists Herdmen and BokoHaaRams started kidnapping and killing innocent Souls all over the Nation, even having the effrontery to Invade Southern Nigeria. USA has been the One largely thwarting the evil Plan of you bloodthirsty Jihadists Satanic Sad Souls. You praise Putin to high Heavens because you and him have much in common, human Life has no meaning to your gods.
Putin publicly says he is godless, but the blood-sucking god he worships in secret has been confirmed, he even named his biggest Nuke after Satan his god. Psalm 24:31 "Evil shall eternally Consume the wicked!" It's only a matter of time, evil Souls like you shall soon enter eternal Destruction with your wicked Soul forever roasting in HellFire! Rejoice not over me my Enemy! You and your likes hate Christians as your evil leader directed you to use Deception and killings to take over their Worlds. Even if you and your likes manipulate, kill and own the whole World, soon the CREATOR shall eradicate all of you wicked Souls and give this Earth to those that take no Joy in wasting human lives. HE knows that you don't deserve the Earth, only those that truly value the Sanctify of Life shall be Rewarded with Immortality and live forever! The victory of you and your Demon blood-sucking god is only temporary!

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Miraclejunction(m): 7:35am On Mar 06, 2022
Tension everywhere,God help us
Please if you are in need of a lesson teacher,contact me. I just finished schooling last year and I am looking for lessons to do till I go for service.
I impact knowledge with care, patience and understanding. I can teach maths,verbal, quantitative, vocational studies,Civic,biology,etc for both primary and secondary level.
Location will preferably be in mainland as I stay at festac.
Thanks
Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by SuletisaMobi: 7:37am On Mar 06, 2022
God have mercy
Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Owerri1stSon: 7:37am On Mar 06, 2022
Oddfinder:

Of course they can
Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Necksonnel: 7:48am On Mar 06, 2022
PrinceMajestic:

Not in your life time. Till you die , America will still be number 1. You can Go and Die grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by Naijjablog(m): 7:53am On Mar 06, 2022
Oddfinder:

Practically impossible... They will nuke themselves to ashes...
Re: New US Ambassador, Nicholas Burns Arrives In Beijing Amid Tense Relations by greatseed: 7:54am On Mar 06, 2022
Speculations & different opinions from our citizens here in Nigeria is overwhelming. Let us remove the mole from our eyes first & learn to mind our business for now abeg to concentrate on our how we can contribute to Nigeria's development by voting a right leader & fighting for a better life for our unborn children. Even more developed small countries have been mute over this e.g Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Austria, Australia etc even Canada cos they have better things to concentrate on for now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Elderly Man With Poor Memory": Biden Escapes Trial for keeping Classified Docs / US-China: Biden Calls Chinese President Xi Dictator Day After Beijing Talks / COVID-19: Vladimir Putin’s Spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov Tests Positive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.