Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,757 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos (991 Views)

Cost Of Uk Travel / Her Uk Travel Woes; Any Recourse? / Nigeria Issues Uk "travel Warning"! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by OmoTier1(m): 7:31am On Jun 29, 2011
For those of you that maybe flying into the UK as from today Wednesday the 29th of June 2011, due to 'the mother of all strike' by UK unions, there are real possibilities of travel disruption.

Please make every effort to check your travel arrangement with any operator you have arranged them with.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-13953678
Re: WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by modath(f): 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2011
Thanks Omo T,why now but thank God we are still at the shopping for the CHEAPEST flights stage as we intend to do lag-dxb-lon.
Do you know anything about stopovers/transit in dubai, saw something about the 96 hrs dubai transit visa but all the info I have gathered on the internet have not been precise.
I called Emirate(we are leaning seriously towards emirate) local office but the pre-recorded call pick up is annoying.
Any help from any quarters will be greaty appreciated.
Re: WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by modath(f): 4:49pm On Jun 29, 2011
OmoT,Sienna et al,
Kindly assist on
Re: WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by OmoTier1(m): 5:42pm On Jun 29, 2011
modath:

Thanks Omo T,why now but thank God we are still at the shopping for the CHEAPEST flights stage as we intend to do lag-dxb-lon.
Do you know anything about stopovers/transit in dubai, saw something about the 96 hrs dubai transit visa but all the info I have gathered on the internet have not been precise.
I called Emirate(we are leaning seriously towards emirate) local office but the pre-recorded call pick up is annoying.
Any help from any quarters will be greaty appreciated.

I can confirm you do not need any transit visas to book LOS-DXB-LHR.
If your departure flight is 2pm,(Lagos, nigeria time) then chances are that you will be in Heathrow by 11am next morning.
If departurr from Lagos is 10pm outbound Dubai, then you can expect to be in Heathrow by 6pm next day.

The difference is, you will only be allowed to either remain in the aircraft for about 2hrs or less (if its same B777 heading to London)or you are allowed to go to duty free but must not cross immigration otherwise you would be arrested for illegal entry without visas.

Call Emirates office in VI at 9 am, you would get someone to speak to. Forgot the lady's number if I can get on my laptop, I may put it up here.

Why not flying Arik? Is Emirate still charging £660 or there about on LHR route? Just to add that you would end up spending upto 12hrs or more on your journey compared to 5hrs 30mins direct Arik. Sorry, I loathe BA and Virgin.
Re: WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by jt2010: 6:24pm On Jun 29, 2011
Omo_tier1,,

Bros plz. Answer my quiry in general uk visaa
Re: WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by modath(f): 6:30pm On Jun 29, 2011
I managed to speak with a guy at emirate desk after holding on for 100 years. We are intending to fly emirate because we want to experience the sight&sound of Dubai and we garnered that its only 96 hrs transit(from immigration control at the airport) that we can spend without "pre-requesting" for entry visa here in Nigeria.
Re: WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by OmoTier1(m): 11:31pm On Jun 29, 2011
modath:

I managed to speak with a guy at emirate desk after holding on for 100 years. We are intending to fly emirate because we want to experience the sight&sound of Dubai and we garnered that its only 96 hrs transit(from immigration control at the airport) that we can spend without "pre-requesting" for entry visa here in Nigeria.
I rather have you connect your flight in less than 5hrs upon arriving Dubai! You can always do your sight seeing one your way back!
Re: WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by modath(f): 5:36am On Jun 30, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

I rather have you connect your flight in less than 5hrs upon arriving Dubai! You can always do your sight seeing one your way back!

Omo T,you always come through,Someone else suggested this too, since the motion has been seconded the AYES have it but how do we go about it??.
Re: WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by OmoTier1(m): 9:41am On Jun 30, 2011
modath:

Omo T,you always come through,Someone else suggested this too, since the motion has been seconded the AYES have it but how do we go about it??.

Do the sight seeing when coming back from London and even take advantage to do some shopping as you would save yourself some pounds by avoiding buying much goods in London -do not even talk about the obnpxious 20% VAT -

Mind you Dubai and London goods when it comes to quality are almost same.
I hope your flight from LOS to LHR is a direct flight with stop over in Dubai and not a flight from LOS to DBX  and then DBX to LHR?
Re: WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by modath(f): 10:54am On Jun 30, 2011
Omo T,
Our planned booking is lag-lon with a 2 hour stopover in dubai,but I intend to buy some H&C shirts for myself and some close family friends. Some folks have told me Dubai stuff(especially designer perfumes) are most often than not fake/or below western world standard but I don't really believe them cos they haven't been there and are only just parroting what "some people" have told them. Will I still pay 20% on the shirts?.
Re: WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by OmoTier1(m): 11:21am On Jun 30, 2011
modath:

Omo T,
Our planned booking is lag-lon with a 2 hour stopover in dubai,but I intend to buy some H&C shirts for myself and some close family friends. Some folks have told me Dubai stuff(especially designer perfumes) are most often than not fake/or below western world standard but I don't really believe them cos they haven't been there and are only just parroting what "some people" have told them. Will I still pay 20% on the shirts?.
Shopping in Dubai is just like shopping in London. You can not expect to buy a shirt of £5 and expect it to last you 9months! UK high street is no longer what it used to be as UK has turned herself into paper based economy!

Yes, goods deemed VAT'able cost you 20% more in UK plus profit.

Yes, there are fake goods in Dubai too just like you would find in UK. It all depends where you go shopping and price too. So like every shopping one does, you have to be vigilant!
Re: WARNING: Possible UK Travel Chaos by jt2010: 11:37am On Jun 30, 2011
Omo_Tier1,

Bros, Am waiting by for your response on my matter, abeg man mind dey blow, grin

(1) (Reply)

A South African Lady Nabbed In M.m. Airport For Hard Drug / Help Help Help / UK To Start Interview For Student Visa Applications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.