Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? (18181 Views)

Transmission Fluid , Coolant, Brake / Clutch Fluid, Synthetic Diesel Oil / Transmission Fluid , Coolant, Brake / Clutch Fluid, Synthetic Diesel Oil / How Many Liters Of Automatic Transmission Fluid Is Enough To Gauge Auto Gear Box (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Carparts888(m): 5:59am On Mar 09, 2022
Your very correct comrade, I believe those mechanics didn't use the correct oil thats why I tell people to always monitor work carried on thier vehicles and buy your oil and parts.
oladipuposadeeq:
its just that I know two people that have complained about their gear malfunctioning immediately after servicing 09 camry and 05 sienna though with different mechanics maybe those mechanics didn't use the recommended oil as you've said
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by sanerugwei: 6:12am On Mar 09, 2022
Listen to this guy's advice. He is spot on and has exhibited good knowledge of autos.
I cannot add anything extra except that you research either online or from your car model manual to know the exact specifications for the fluids to change.
If your Honda is 2nd gen CVT, don't use gear oil meant for other types of transmission.
And pls don't rely on the advice of road side mechanic if you use newer model cars. This advice apply to everyone.
Ignorance is bliss.

Imagine someone saying they change their trans oil at every car service is three or six months.
Except you really drive long distances like those buses doing Lagos to Aba or Abuja or even Ibadan on a daily. And if you tow heavy stuff with your car and climb really hilly terrain.
Otherwise it's a total waste of time and money. This can even damage the transmission on the long run.

mu2sa2:
First, if you buy a used car make sure you drain every fluid that's comes with it and replace (i e, engine oil, transmission fluid, radiator coolant, brake/clutch fluid, everything). Now to your question, it's recommended you change the transmission fluid after every 50,000 to 100,000 km. I bought my car over 2 years ago, replaced all the oils and have not changed the transmission fluid after doing a little research on when to change oil ( I prefer using distance covered, though, because it's more accurate than using period car is used). Many people waste money changing oils unnecessarily. As for engine oil change every 5000 km if you use semi- synthetic or every 10,000 km it's fully synthetic.
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by huntax(m): 6:19am On Mar 09, 2022
Fibonacci88:
My D light has been blinking intermittently for some time now. Looking for genuine Honda transmission oil is not easy. Ppl have recommended using other transmission fluid but fear no let me.

Is your ABS light on?
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Vickram: 6:21am On Mar 09, 2022
My candid advice is for you to let the sleeping dog lies. You don't have any business of changing it when is not giving you any sign. I be used my for over 5yrs now I haven't touched it and the car is running smoothly.
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by gonkin(m): 6:24am On Mar 09, 2022
matken:
Lol. Nothing would happen sir. I change my gear oil every 6 month. I own two cars no ish till date. The only thing I can advice u us do u have to the money for original oil.

Manufacturers state that it should be changed every 60k miles.
Also as long as the oil is still red. Leave it alone

It doesnt happen overnight. Continue.
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by gonkin(m): 6:28am On Mar 09, 2022
Vickram:
My candid advice is for you to let the sleeping dog lies. You don't have any business of changing it when is not giving you any sign. I be used my for over 5yrs now I haven't touched it and the car is running smoothly.

Yours is even 5 years. My landcruiser since it came into Nigeria in 2012 I haven't changed it. Only topped it once or twice. Still red like Chapman and gear shifts like a dream.
I almost changed it one time. Then I went online. That's when I saw NEVER CHANGE UR OIL if it has never been changed, leave it alone. Imagine the wahala I for put myself if I had changed it I. 2018. Now its 10years still running smoothly.
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by ajealadick(m): 6:32am On Mar 09, 2022
Fibonacci88:
My D light has been blinking intermittently for some time now. Looking for genuine Honda transmission oil is not easy. Ppl have recommended using other transmission fluid but fear no let me.

Use Oando transmission oil. One of the best in the market

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by MyMouth(m): 6:41am On Mar 09, 2022
Pls I just discovered the light around my gear Doesn't light up when I put on my light when driving in the night. What could be the problem?
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by bobbiiee: 6:44am On Mar 09, 2022
Why not try Honda place. Check their address on Google. It makes sense that you have not gone with popular opinion because they didn't manufacture your car.

Fibonacci88:

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by zedman1(m): 6:48am On Mar 09, 2022
donaldking10:
oya car owners over to you.
I no de put mouth for anything wey no concern me ni.
Bet you don already put mouth, you must answer o. I de wait.
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by bobbiiee: 6:52am On Mar 09, 2022
Using wrong oil is like receiving blood transfusion from a different blood group. It won't end well.

At times, it may still malfunction with the right oil change if it is done when the gear components are bad. I have seen this happen.

oladipuposadeeq:
its just that I know two people that have complained about their gear malfunctioning immediately after servicing 09 camry and 05 sienna though with different mechanics maybe those mechanics didn't use the recommended oil as you've said
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by captainking(m): 6:56am On Mar 09, 2022
Fibonacci88:
if you are in Lagos.. Contact gazzuzz here or luvinhubby... They can deliver anywhere in naija.. Original Honda dw1 oil

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by richybanky(m): 6:57am On Mar 09, 2022
Fibonacci88:
I'm also using Honda, waste alot of money scanning scanning scanning today is one sensor tomorrow is another thing and after some days the D light will be blinking not knowing that the Honda transmission fluid I bought was fake so I have no other choice than to change the transmission fluid.. And since then nothing like blinking again. I will advise u to get OANDO ATF dexron III

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Stallione(m): 7:01am On Mar 09, 2022
correctyourself:

You better leave that system alone if it's not given any issued, no do eye service for where gearbox they o, hhheeemmm who no get problem with gearbox no know wetin God do for am.
Hahahaha, bro he never see anytin. Gearbox wey make me dey talk to myself like mad pesin while walking on the street and even inside church. grin
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by fortunejum: 7:08am On Mar 09, 2022
My transmission was working fine only that I had a code P0773 ( shift seleniod E). As soon as I I replaced the seleniod with the recommended transmission oil, I started having problem with the gear. I regretted tampering with my transmission
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Fiscus105(m): 7:14am On Mar 09, 2022
phemmyfour:
If it's not broken, don't fix it. Don't create trouble for yourself

I pity you and those who liked ur comment, did u want it to breakdown before changing it. The gear oil would have become watery by now, I pray he won't not change entire gear when the problems arises and I biliv you know the price of tokunbo gear by now.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Datikwerreboi(m): 7:21am On Mar 09, 2022
MisterGrace:

If you use a Toyota car, after one year, buy original Toyota transmission oil, I think it's either 17,000 or 18,000 NGN.

You should change it especially when your start to perceive choking smell from you gearbox oil.

Or change it when the level of your transmission oil drops below the usual marked point.

Also when your gear transmission is not selecting smoothly.
Can't we top it up?
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by dapadawee: 7:23am On Mar 09, 2022
Topccy007z:
Hello Nairalanders, please can any one tell when exactly the transmission fluid in cars are due for change. Mine has lasted for 18 months already but the transmission still runs smoothly. I majorly do local runnings. Just few short trips.
Depends on the type of car you drive. Toyota no too get wahala but if na honda i beg change every 3 months
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Carparts888(m): 7:25am On Mar 09, 2022
what make and year of vehicle? which ATF did u use?
fortunejum:
My transmission was working fine only that I had a code P0773 ( shift seleniod E). As soon as I I replaced the seleniod with the recommended transmission oil, I started having problem with the gear. I regretted tampering with my transmission
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by bobbiiee: 7:28am On Mar 09, 2022
Very true! I got a sienna for someone & I discovered that the gear pump was bad. Called the gear guy to come & fix it at my mechanic's workshop.

He left two staff to do it. Because i know that the recommended oil for the car is dextron 2 or 3. I gave one of them money to go to Oando to buy the gear oil. I heard one of the gear guys say in a low voice to the other technician, look for shops around and buy "gear oil". Immediately, i collected the money from him & bought the gear oil at Oando myself.

The same day I discovered that the oil seal of the same vehicle was kept in the car of the gear man. Those guys thought i was sleeping, one said to the other, get a nylon & put it where the oil seal is meant to be. I was angry.

I gave him N200 to go to his bosses's shop to get the one he kept there.

The attitude of many technicians are terrible. I buy the parts, except for engine or gear. For those i do window shopping to have idea of the price. I buy the oils too. Most of them can't be trusted. One was supposed to get brake oil. I asked what specified brake oil, he said he was just going to get brake oil. I went with him & bought Dot 3 brake oil.

Some do try & error. Car owners end up paying for their mistakes. I once insisted that my fuel pump was okay and the mech insisted that it was bad. We changed it, by the next day I had the same issue stalling issue. Later i was told to replace the cold switch. Long story short. Nothing was wrong with the fuel pump & cold switch. I gave out both fuel pump & cold switch out.

I advise car uses to get a diagnosis device. I bought MaxiScan Ms 409 about 8 years ago. It has really helped in reducing try & error method. Though, they user will need to read wide or get a technical person who can interpret the codes that it will prompt.

Besides having a car & service manual, which can be downloaded online, it's helpful if car uses buy car repair manual, for those passionate about about rides. it usually covers 10 years models. Eg, Camry 2002- 2012.

Carparts888:
Your very correct comrade, I believe those mechanics didn't use the correct oil thats why I tell people to always monitor work carried on thier vehicles and buy your oil and parts.

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by tragergeorge(m): 8:10am On Mar 09, 2022
lonelydora:

You are damaging tha transmission
na so one guy say make I change my car own only after 3months I bought the car....
Na him b de service my car,
Same guy say make I go ring my car engine that's not up to 3months cos it shorts oil,not knowing say na one of the fan no de work and the other de work slowly,
Na so I take press am leave am,since last year e de call me,,,,I tell am say I no de d town again

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by EngRichie: 8:22am On Mar 09, 2022
Knowing when to change transmission fluid is not difficult. It's easy to know the state of transmission fluid in those types that have dipstick by monitoring the transmission color.

For sealed transmissions, you can check by draining just little drop but this is better done by a professional.

Again, there is manufacturer recommended change interval but thread cautiously here. Some people have killed their transmissions by following this guide because cars work under different conditions. For instance, if you tow or drive harshly, you will require more regular oil change.
Again, some people have believed that having transmission oil labelled "lifetime" oil means that you never need to replace the oil throughout the lifespan of the car. This is wrong.
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by sukkot: 8:24am On Mar 09, 2022
truly transmission fluid is supposed to last the lifetime of the car HOWEVER if you bought the car brand new you can change the oil at intervals. but if you bought the car tokunbo or used at over 100 thousand miles and you dont know the history of transmission service it is best to never touch it at all because you see a lot of debris particles in the system makes it work the way it works over time. if you change the oil and it clears out those debris, you car will not work again. you wil have to either rebuild or buy new gear. so its best to leave it alone if you didnt buy the car from brand new

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Enemyofpeace: 8:32am On Mar 09, 2022
Trouble sleep, yanga wan wake am
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Carparts888(m): 8:36am On Mar 09, 2022
You have said it all! Its best to supervise work carried on your vehicle closely and buy your OEM parts yourself. The scanner is very important to diagnose issues that will prevent a lot of trial by error with local mechanics.
Finally, having a competent mechanic is very important instead of road side ones. The competent ones operate mostly in company standard with all necessary modern equipments, scanners and keep updating their knowledge on most recent technologies. They may be expensive but very good services are not cheap.
bobbiiee:
Very true! I got a sienna for someone & I discovered that the gear pump was bad. Called the gear guy to come & fix it at my mechanic's workshop.

He left two staff to do it. Because i know that the recommended oil for the car is dextron 2 or 3. I gave one of them money to go to Oando to buy the gear oil. I heard one of the gear guys say in a low voice to the other technician, look for shops around and buy "gear oil". Immediately, i collected the money from him & bought the gear oil at Oando myself.

The same day I discovered that the oil seal of the same vehicle was kept in the car of the gear man. Those guys thought i was sleeping, one said to the other, get a nylon & put it where the oil seal is meant to be. I was angry.

I gave him N200 to go to his bosses's shop to get the one he kept there.

The attitude of many technicians are terrible. I buy the parts, except for engine or gear. For those i do window shopping to have idea of the price. I buy the oils too. Most of them can't be trusted. One was supposed to get brake oil. I asked what specified brake oil, he said he was just going to get brake oil. I went with him & bought Dot 3 brake oil.

Some do try & error. Car owners end up paying for their mistakes. I once insisted that my fuel pump was okay and the mech insisted that it was bad. We changed it, by the next day I had the same issue stalling issue. Later i was told to replace the cold switch. Long story short. Nothing was wrong with the fuel pump & cold switch. I gave out both fuel pump & cold switch out.

I advise car uses to get a diagnosis device. I bought MaxiScan Ms 409 about 8 years ago. It has really helped in reducing try & error method. Though, they user will need to read wide or get a technical person who can interpret the codes that it will prompt.

Besides having a car & service manual, which can be downloaded online, it's helpful if car uses buy car repair manual, for those passionate about about rides. it usually covers 10 years models. Eg, Camry 2002- 2012.

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Bleiz(m): 8:46am On Mar 09, 2022
Fibonacci88:

Scan it first. Possible codes are: 0717 and/or 1503

Input and output sensor ish.
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by phemmyfour: 8:53am On Mar 09, 2022
Fiscus105:

I pity you and those who liked ur comment, did u want it to breakdown before changing it. The gear oil would have become watery by now, I pray he won't not change entire gear when the problems arises and I biliv you know the price of tokunbo gear by now.
yinmu...pity yourself

I ve never had gear problem with any of my vehicles past and present. And did not any reason to change the fluid. The ATF fluid doesn't warrant regular interval change like engine oil.

The recommend interval might not even be achieved before you get tired and got another car

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by henrixx(m): 9:02am On Mar 09, 2022
Topccy007z:
Hello Nairalanders, please can any one tell when exactly the transmission fluid in cars are due for change. Mine has lasted for 18 months already but the transmission still runs smoothly. I majorly do local runnings. Just few short trips.
hmmm. get a good mechanic to check it for you first. but if you use a car from 2014 upwards with cvt transmission then you may not need to put any oil. cos the oil from the factory is meant to last throughout the entire lifetime of the car. some transmission are even sealed from the factory. can't open it. refer to your manufacturers manual and know more about your car's transmission before knowing what to do next
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Carparts888(m): 9:12am On Mar 09, 2022
If its Nigerian used you bought, I recommend u change the tranny oil immediately after purchase except u know the history of the vehicle maintenance from previous owner and if it was bought foreign used/toks, you should run the vin and check the vehicle history of maintenance to know if you should change the tranny oil or keep using it if well maintained.
If its brand new vehicle, just follow the scheduled routine maintenance time table
sukkot:
truly transmission fluid is supposed to last the lifetime of the car HOWEVER if you bought the car brand new you can change the oil at intervals. but if you bought the car tokunbo or used at over 100 thousand miles and you dont know the history of transmission service it is best to never touch it at all because you see a lot of debris particles in the system makes it work the way it works over time. if you change the oil and it clears out those debris, you car will not work again. you wil have to either rebuild or buy new gear. so its best to leave it alone if you didnt buy the car from brand new

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SOLD REG 2009 Toyota Landcruiser Prado @5.5m / Checkout All Automobile Names And Their Logos - Headng.com / What Is The Diffrence B/w A Turbo And A Normal Engine? What Are The Specs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.