Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

What Is The Purpose Of Revving Car Engine For Some Minutes Before Driving? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Purpose Of Revving Car Engine For Some Minutes Before Driving? (830 Views)

How Long Should I Warm Up My Car Before Driving? / Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? / Is It Okay To Warm Your Car Before Driving Off In The Morning? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Purpose Of Revving Car Engine For Some Minutes Before Driving? by ogtechinc(m): 6:28am On Mar 09, 2022
I grew up seeing people doing this act. They will rev or fire the engine to a certain degree until they are satisfied or feel that the car is now ready.

Are cars meant to heat up in the morning or after been parked for a long time before driving it?

Why can't I just start and immediately drive off?

Is this just a myth or reality?
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Revving Car Engine For Some Minutes Before Driving? by Lawlab254: 6:57am On Mar 09, 2022
Dunno

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Revving Car Engine For Some Minutes Before Driving? by khalhokage(m): 7:10am On Mar 09, 2022
It was beneficial for old engines in cold climates to warm up before driving but it's totally outdated now, if you drive a relatively modern car and in the hot climate of Nigeria for that matter you don't need to do this, you're just wasting your fuel.

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Revving Car Engine For Some Minutes Before Driving? by ogtechinc(m): 7:50am On Mar 09, 2022
khalhokage:
It was beneficial for old engines in cold climates to warm up before driving but it's totally outdated now, if you drive a relatively modern car and in the hot climate of Nigeria for that matter you don't need to do this, you're just wasting your fuel.
Chai..? Just wasting fuel ooo
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Revving Car Engine For Some Minutes Before Driving? by skywalker240(m): 8:52am On Mar 09, 2022
Common with most manual car's back then

I don't see any reason why they have to do that
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Revving Car Engine For Some Minutes Before Driving? by ogtechinc(m): 12:11pm On Mar 09, 2022
skywalker240:
Common with most manual car's back then

I don't see any reason why they have to do that
So, no need to warm the engine...?
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Revving Car Engine For Some Minutes Before Driving? by paix(m): 1:01pm On Mar 09, 2022
Apart from warming the engine in cold environments, it also prepares the car for better performance by blowing out some carbon deposits in the cylinders and the exhaust pipes that might hinder the smooth running of the engine.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Revving Car Engine For Some Minutes Before Driving? by homeboy205: 7:54pm On Mar 09, 2022
ogtechinc:
I grew up seeing people doing this act. They will rev or fire the engine to a certain degree until they are satisfied or feel that the car is now ready.

Are cars meant to heat up in the morning or after been parked for a long time before driving it?

Why can't I just start and immediately drive off?

Is this just a myth or reality?

This is the where thermostat comes in play
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Revving Car Engine For Some Minutes Before Driving? by 9icetoo(m): 9:51pm On Mar 09, 2022
paix:
Apart from warming the engine in cold environments, it also prepares the car for better performance by blowing out some carbon deposits in the cylinders and the exhaust pipes that might hinder the smooth running of the engine.

(1) (Reply)

Volkswagen Passat - 2012 / Few Month Used Toyota Camry 2006 Model Available / Help! My Honda Civic Having Accelerating Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.