Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,230 members, 7,860,465 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:19 AM

Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech (459 Views)

Russia Sues Meta, Calls For Instagram To Be Blocked Over ‘death Calls’ / Mcdonald’s Temporarily Closes 850 Restaurants In Russia. Suspends Operations. / Trump Campaign Files Lawsuit To Halt Michigan Ballot Counting Temporarily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by olugabbie(m): 4:47am On Mar 11, 2022
James Clayton

North America technology reporter

Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, has confirmed that it is changing its rules on violent speech in several countries because of the Ukraine invasion.

The company says that it has "temporarily" made allowances for violent speech - for example “death to the Russian invaders” - that would usually break its rules.

Meta said, though, it won’t allow credible calls for violence against Russian civilians.

The internal emails discussing the policy were obtained by Reuters, and have not been seen by the BBC.

The Reuters report says that posts that call for death to Russian President Vladimir Putin or Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko will be allowed in several countries.

The temporary policy change allowing for calls for violence against Russian soldiers applies to Armenia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, and Ukraine, according to one email.

SOURCE: www.bbc.com

Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by olugabbie(m): 4:49am On Mar 11, 2022
olugabbie:
James Clayton

North America technology reporter

Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, has confirmed that it is changing its rules on violent speech in several countries because of the Ukraine invasion.

The company says that it has "temporarily" made allowances for violent speech - for example “death to the Russian invaders” - that would usually break its rules.

Meta said, though, it won’t allow credible calls for violence against Russian civilians.

The internal emails discussing the policy were obtained by Reuters, and have not been seen by the BBC.

The Reuters report says that posts that call for death to Russian President Vladimir Putin or Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko will be allowed in several countries.

The temporary policy change allowing for calls for violence against Russian soldiers applies to Armenia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, and Ukraine, according to one email.

I saw this on bbc.com this morning and i was dumbfounded. This makes no sense.

1 Like

Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by Totilopussylick(m): 4:51am On Mar 11, 2022
olugabbie:

I saw this on bbc.com this morning and i was dumbfounded. This makes no sense.
l live in Germany

Russia is just rushing everything undecided
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by olugabbie(m): 4:57am On Mar 11, 2022
Totilopussylick:
l live in Germany

Russia is just rushing everything undecided

But this is uncalled-for. How can meta allow hate speech to used on leaders? This is preposterous.
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by Totilopussylick(m): 4:58am On Mar 11, 2022
olugabbie:

But this is uncalled-for. How can meta allow hate speech to used on leaders? This is preposterous.
Easy on the English language man sad

Wetin be preposterous
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by YinkaOlusesi16(m): 5:18am On Mar 11, 2022
Violent speech against leaders is our prime in nigeria, others countrys in the world cant speak up like nigerians. The kind curse buhari don collect putin no fit collect half.
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by AdiokOnoNland: 5:19am On Mar 11, 2022
Facebook that I know undecided e no go sup sad
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by olugabbie(m): 5:30am On Mar 11, 2022
YinkaOlusesi16:
Violent speech against leaders is our prime in nigeria, others countrys in the world cant speak up like nigerians. The kind curse buhari don collect putin no fit collect half.

Lol
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by bonechamberlain(m): 6:35am On Mar 11, 2022
SMH, western nations are funny. Zuckerberg has once again shown that he is being controlled by political powers.

Nations should start developing their own tech. China is more prepared for any ill motivated western sanctions, for every Facebook, Google Twitter, Apple, Puma, Adidas Range rover you pull out, a replacement is already on ground.

I used to feel China were extreme with their strict social media policies for foreign apps, now I can see the obvious reason.

Allowing the survival of your country to be dependent on the west is suicide.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by seunny4lif(m): 6:39am On Mar 11, 2022
Now, people will understand why China banned all those social media techs.
This is really bad.
If only Africa leaders can wake up and start be serious
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by useni1: 7:17am On Mar 11, 2022
American billionaires are not innovative. They are all criminals and vampires. Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates. Warren Buffett are all bloodsuckers responsible for global carnage. These criminals should be caught and burnt alive for all the evils they committed globally
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by useni1: 8:10am On Mar 11, 2022
American corporations are the terrorist of the world. Stealing from every single corner of the world. These bastards finally met their match in Putin. Russia and China will usher in a world of equality and fair play. Death to AmerikkaNazi!
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by Sadr: 9:47am On Mar 11, 2022
America has no honour. They act as if they own the world and that they can order everyone around.
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by HYDEEE: 11:04am On Mar 11, 2022
If I can type "death to russian invaders" can I also type "death to ukraine defenders" or "death to stupid zelenskyy" ?

1 Like

Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by ken6488(m): 1:12pm On Mar 11, 2022
I now see why China banned them
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by baralatie(m): 1:25pm On Mar 11, 2022
seunny4lif:
Now, people will understand why China banned all those social media techs.
This is really bad.
If only Africa leaders can wake up and start be serious
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by baralatie(m): 1:25pm On Mar 11, 2022
ken6488:
I now see why China banned them
Re: Ukraine: Facebook And Instagram To 'temporarily' Allow Violent Speech by baralatie(m): 1:26pm On Mar 11, 2022
HYDEEE:
If I can type "death to russian invaders" can I also type "death to ukraine defenders" or "death to stupid zelenskyy" ?

(1) (Reply)

The UK And Netherlands Taking Over Bulgarian Airspace Against Russian Aggression / Moscow Responds To Nuclear Weapons Claim / Russia Finally Gives Reason For Invasion Of Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.