Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,350 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

FCT Natives Threaten Mass Protest Over Failed Mayoral Status Bill - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FCT Natives Threaten Mass Protest Over Failed Mayoral Status Bill (5417 Views)

Lagos Commercial Drivers Threaten 7-day Mass Protest Over Multiple Extortion / Don’t Push Us To War, FCT Natives Warn FG, Army Over Land Tussle / Arewa Youths Demand Reversal Of Petrol Pump Price, Threaten Mass Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FCT Natives Threaten Mass Protest Over Failed Mayoral Status Bill by funshint(m): 9:38am On Mar 14, 2022
Razgas:
there is no law that a governor of a state must be an indigene either
Okay let it be an unwritten law then like zoning! wink grin
Re: FCT Natives Threaten Mass Protest Over Failed Mayoral Status Bill by Nobody: 9:45am On Mar 14, 2022
funshint:

Okay let it be an unwritten law then like zoning! wink grin
so how can that be enforced

1 Like

Re: FCT Natives Threaten Mass Protest Over Failed Mayoral Status Bill by funshint(m): 9:51am On Mar 14, 2022
Razgas:
so how can that be enforced
Only your president can do that. Simple mattaz wink!

1 Like

Re: FCT Natives Threaten Mass Protest Over Failed Mayoral Status Bill by COMPAQ(m): 10:31am On Mar 14, 2022
rajiedreez:
na u need to get facts straight, Washington DC has an elected mayor and council. Why'd Abuja's case be different since they were both born under same circumstance

American cities have mayor's generally, but ours don't. Its simply a system of governance that we never adopted. And I don't see the point of adopting mayor in Nigeria.
Re: FCT Natives Threaten Mass Protest Over Failed Mayoral Status Bill by rajiedreez: 10:41am On Mar 14, 2022
COMPAQ:

American cities have mayor's generally, but ours don't. Its simply a system of governance that we never adopted. And I don't see the point of adopting mayor in Nigeria.
Mayors in the USA are like local government chairmen in Nigeria but Washington DC Mayor serves as a Governor of the carved out district he and his council governs the affairs of the district and they have a presentative in the congress but non in the Senate. I understand that there might be conflict of power if there's a Mayor in Abuja but that's why in the USA the congress can overturn any laws put in place by the mayor and his council. It'll be a good thing to have a Mayor in Abuja too. Because even if the area was carved out and the initial indigene were paid it doesn't still make Abuja a no mans land. If they're given a mayoral status, they can elect from within them and not the various administrator the government has been appointing on them since

1 Like

Re: FCT Natives Threaten Mass Protest Over Failed Mayoral Status Bill by Godswings(m): 12:40pm On Mar 14, 2022
omoolokunEsin:
What FCT natives again after they received billions of Naira as Compensation for Government's takeover of their land?
Received billions? are you sure your source of information isn't from Afghanistan? please get your facts right boy!

omoolokunEsin:
In the real sense of the word, Abuja is now a No Man's Land. Contrariwise, in the Colonial days Lagos was made federal Capital without as much as one farthing as Compensation for the landowners. And heaven didn't fall.
why don't you come down here and repeat these statements in front of the FCT natives. let's see if heaven will not fall.

Meanwhile, I will suggest you read on the incessant complaints of these people (FCT NATIVES) before comparing them to Lagos –which is now a state. Your comprehension seems to have a large void of ignorance about them and their current tragedy.
Re: FCT Natives Threaten Mass Protest Over Failed Mayoral Status Bill by Godswings(m): 1:08pm On Mar 14, 2022
rajiedreez:

Mayors in the USA are like local government chairmen in Nigeria but Washington DC Mayor serves as a Governor of the carved out district he and his council governs the affairs of the district and they have a presentative in the congress but non in the Senate. I understand that there might be conflict of power if there's a Mayor in Abuja but that's why in the USA the congress can overturn any laws put in place by the mayor and his council. It'll be a good thing to have a Mayor in Abuja too. Because even if the area was carved out and the initial indigene were paid it doesn't still make Abuja a no mans land. If they're given a mayoral status, they can elect from within them and not the various administrator the government has been appointing on them since

you're right

The FCT bill seeking Mayoral position isn't far from that of the Washington DC Mayoral seat in the USA. it will come with a Mayoral council. These will automatically strip off FCT administrative powers from the president and the FCT minister without abolishing the FCT ministerial position.

What gives me joy from the bill on this Mayoral position is that, the people will elect whosever they wish to govern them. unlike the intentional discharge on them from the North, against their wish.

I just pray Nigeria starts to gets things right now before it gets too late.

1 Like

Re: FCT Natives Threaten Mass Protest Over Failed Mayoral Status Bill by Phinex(m): 10:49am On Mar 22, 2022
AbujaCitiBlog:

From the responses I am getting here, I realize that a lot of Nigerians are dumb. FCT is a federal ministry. That's the designation. It wasn't intended to be a state. It was carved out from 4 states. Indigenes were relocated and paid compensation. Get your facts right. It is just like Washington DC. Let's be guided. It was created as a novel place where every Nigerian will see himself or herself as having equal status. Nothing like indigenes here.

But self serving politicians are pushing ignorant youths to go and confront government.

The lone FCT Senator is desperate, he wants to hand over the baton to somebody but he needs a position for himself. That's why he is behind the push for Mayoral status for FCT

Wrong and misguided submission.

Government never fulfilled their financial obligations to the indigenes.

Infact, Obasanjo said the cost of relocating and compensating the indigenous people of FCT was more than what it will cost the government of the day to integrate them into the development of FCT.

Please do your research properly and asked questions before commenting ignorantly on issues you know nothing about.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yahaya Bello, Denies Dumping Tinubu, Says His Support For Tinubu Is Unwavering / If Obj Visits Me, I Will Pour Hot Water On Him - Mimiko's Mother / Presidency 2015: Judge’s Absence Postpones Verdict On Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.