Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Nigerian Travellers Decry Extortion At Kenya Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Travellers Decry Extortion At Kenya Airport (275 Views)

Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra / US-Iran Face-Off: Tougher Screening Awaits Nigerian Travellers / Gay Lions Getting Intimate At Kenya's National Park (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Travellers Decry Extortion At Kenya Airport by shakespere: 9:59pm On Mar 13, 2022
NIGERIAN TRAVELLERS DECRY EXTORTION AT KENYA AIRPORT

The short message app twitter was on Sunday agog with Nigerians recounting their extortion and ill treatment at the Jomo Kenyatta international airport by the country’s immigration and police.

Many Nigerians lamented the unfair profiling and exhibition of xenophobia by the Kenya authorities, sharing many horror stories of detainment for endless hours for refusal to part with hundred dollar bribes.

Deportation, loss of connecting flight, and daily hounding of Nigerians especially in Nairobi are said to standard routine.

‘I was held for close to three hours before one of them (immigration) asked me to pay fifty dollars, so I won’t miss my flight’ says Godfrey Nwannekah
Another Nigerian Micheal Enema also recounted his ordeal ‘Yes, they brazenly ask for money at the point of entry in their airport in the name of money for tea.’

Instances of planting drugs on Nigerians also came up, so they could be extorted.

Labeling authentic document like the yellow card as fake was recounted as another means of extortion. Nigerians living in Nairobi are not also spared, with frequent burst and arrest going on every time.

Whilst some Kenyans apologize for the conducts of their authorities, many supported the practice, saying many Nigerians living in Kenya are known to be in the illicit businesses, and are flamboyant.

‘…My colleague and I were singled out to be searched by their security operatives, they later apologize after sighting our ID card and reasons for coming to Kenya’ Segun Ojo says.

Arising from the frequent embarrassment at the Kenya airport, Nigerians on the short message app called on the government to help restore the dignity of Nigerian passport and to interface to stop the frequent occurrence.

https://thegomagazine.com/2022/03/13/nigerian-travellers-decry-extortion-at-kenya-airport/

(1) (Reply)

3 Cities In China Impose One-sided Lockdowns As New Covid Cases Declare Openly / Passport / University Of Ottawa Undergraduate Scholarships For Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.