Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,513 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. (5197 Views)

My Yam Farm Diary. / My 2022 Farm Diary / Wet Season Maize Farm Diary Of An Agric Undergraduate Final Year Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 9:15pm On Mar 14, 2022
Good day nairalanders. Today I want to start posting progress on my new farm project. This isn't my first farm project, however I've been dealt with several blows in my farming expedition. I started out with Pineapple farming, which is still going good by the way. this should be the 15th month since I planted the pineapples. I also tried my hands on Plantain/Cassava farming, however Fulani herdsmen have been a constant headache for me on that farm during the dry season, as they burnt and ravaged that farm this January "Pictures would be posted to show the damage".

But due to the burning passion and desire I have for farming, I've decided to go ahead with another project, but this time, it would be vegetable based farming.

I intend engaging in potato vine multiplication and ugu farming. The vine multiplication would enable me have enough vines to sell to farmers for the incoming rainy season, and also give me the opportunity to plant my own sweet potatoes, without worrying about where to source for vines. Here are picture of work done so far. Wish me luck in this journey my fellow nairalanders, I would make sure to post picture of progress as we kick start the project this weekend. Thanks for viewing

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 9:18pm On Mar 14, 2022
Clearing of the field in progress

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 9:19pm On Mar 14, 2022
There were so many stumps on the ground, so we had to burn the ones that are hard to clear. It’s been few weeks of intensive work and planning
Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 9:21pm On Mar 14, 2022
Planting few of the ugu seedlings while waiting for the potato vine cuttings to arrive

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by GoodnessMILAYO(f): 9:54pm On Mar 14, 2022
Good I hope you update regularly
Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 1:24am On Mar 15, 2022
GoodnessMILAYO:
Good I hope you update regularly

So help me God I would
Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by IamAsiri: 5:45am On Mar 15, 2022
austin4real:
Planting few of the ugu seedlings while waiting for the potato vine cuttings to arrive

Did you grow the seedlings inside sacks?
Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 9:43am On Mar 15, 2022
IamAsiri:

Did you grow the seedlings inside sacks?
I got the seedlings from a farmer friend, who has already grown them from pods

1 Like

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by dazmillion: 11:53am On Mar 15, 2022
How big is the fenced plot in the pictures? did you buy the land? how profitable is exotic vegetables (lettuce/carrot/cabbage...)

1 Like

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 4:26pm On Mar 15, 2022
dazmillion:
How big is the fenced plot in the pictures? did you buy the land? how profitable is exotic vegetables (lettuce/carrot/cabbage...)
The land has 4 and half plots in total. I borrowed the land to use from a family member due to the fact that it’s fenced and has appropriate security. I don’t really know much about the the highlighted vegetables you asked, but I’m sure the internet has loads of materials you can consult to make your findings.

1 Like

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by MrDigitalVentur: 6:01pm On Mar 15, 2022
Great
Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 11:14pm On Mar 23, 2022
Sorry it’s been long I updated the thread. Last week Saturday, I received the sweet potato stems and started planting on Sunday. We are still on the job right now and I can say it’s been quite tedious and I never envisaged how stressful this could have been. But we are making gradual progress so far.

1 Like

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 11:15pm On Mar 23, 2022
Spreading out the vines, as they need air to cool down from the long trip down to my farm.

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 11:29pm On Mar 23, 2022
I didn’t have sufficient space to store my vines, hence I had to improvise on a make shift shade. I should have left some trees to provide shade for the vines. But we move.

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 11:32pm On Mar 23, 2022
Vines stored inside of the building in the farm. I tried keeping them alive by sprinkling water on the plants as often as possible.

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 11:35pm On Mar 23, 2022
Progress

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 11:37pm On Mar 23, 2022
Sneak peak of how the ugwu plants are doing.

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 11:44pm On Mar 23, 2022
We’ve still got a long way to go with planting.

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 11:47pm On Mar 23, 2022
Plant spacing used is 0.2m x 0.1 meters.

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 9:40pm On Mar 27, 2022
We are finally done with the planting. Took a total of 5days to finish planting 260 bundles of vine cuttings.

Next step is constant wetting of the field

2 Likes

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by Highways: 6:12am On Mar 28, 2022
I was currently selected for a short course on Potato sector development by the OKP scholarship and will be starting in May.... Keep up the work... Following the potato planting

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 3:21pm On Mar 28, 2022
Highways:
I was currently selected for a short course on Potato sector development by the OKP scholarship and will be starting in May.... Keep up the work... Following the potato planting

Thanks for viewing my thread sir. I promise to keep the thread updated as much as I can. I’m also interested in such programs. Really hope I can be eligible to participate in such in the nearest future.

1 Like

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 3:24pm On Mar 28, 2022
I did a quick stop today at my other farm sites, and it appears the weeds in the pineapple farm has started sprouting rigorously. I would have to do something about it as soon as possible. My cassavas are looking quite okay.. Pictures attached.

1 Like

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 3:27pm On Mar 28, 2022
More

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 3:28pm On Mar 28, 2022
Cassavas

1 Like

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by Kehfie(f): 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2022
Great job. More grease to your elbows.

1 Like

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by Corrections: 4:07pm On Mar 28, 2022
Good job u doing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 9:34pm On Mar 28, 2022
Thanks all
Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by anoda(m): 7:37am On Mar 29, 2022
I nor wan manage two farms at once, so as soon as my maize hit stability, na cocoyam and potato next. Ur're blessed.
Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 4:21pm On Apr 01, 2022
Update!!!
The past couple has been quite stressful, being that I have to constantly be wetting the field every evening for most part. But the effort has been worth it. Most of the potatoes have started bringing out green leaves. Also the Ugu vegetables are doing pretty good.. however the sun has not been merciful for the past couple of days now..

Praying for the financial might to be able to get the drip irrigation solution.. Abeg anyone that is selling cheap oooo!!! Help a brother

1 Like

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by austin4real(m): 4:22pm On Apr 01, 2022
More

Re: My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. by strenghtt: 3:32am On Apr 02, 2022
The wetting or irrigation system can be made to function automatically saving you the stress you go through every day. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Double Your Catfish Business In 6 Months / Palm Oil Business Is At Risk In 2018 / Cucumber Farming In Nigeria: Beginner’s Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.