Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,667 members, 7,820,342 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless (34783 Views)

Please, Advise Me On This Banking Job I Got / Mtn Epileptic Network Just Cost Me A Job / I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by chukwuibuipob: 1:03pm On Mar 15, 2022
sad
Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by kunletoks(m): 1:03pm On Mar 15, 2022
You did well.

It worked on your local machine but didn't when you pushed to netlify.

Someone with 10 years experience can also encounter the same issue you had.

Don't be discouraged.

Also nothing is that easy to be done within 24 hours.
Next time, maybe you should request for more time instead of agreeing to 24 hours.

Well done.

3 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Teettyllayho: 1:05pm On Mar 15, 2022
Try writing. You write well. And please stop being too hard on yourself or being negative.
Go to literature section and job section on Nairaland. You should get someone to hire you.

BUT

Read about the basics of writing online before you apply. And use GRAMMARLY to edit your jobs. You can manage that until you're good at programming OR you may fall in love with writing and leave programming..... All the best.

9 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by emmykk(m): 1:06pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:
Someone gave me a simple job of making an existing static site template responsive within 24 hours and I blew it. A simple task that should take few hours, it looked all good on my localhost only to test it on netlify and it turned out to be a disaster. I'm just so ashamed of myself.

I've been learning web dev since mid last year though its been a case of one month on three months off, I've been grossly inconsistent due circumstances beyond my control. I haven't even coded this year because I come back from my menial hustles with battered bones and weak muscles. You can imagine trying to code after offloading a trailer load of cement all day. I even had to use bet shops around for the gig amidst the pangs of hunger I felt while working coupled with the noisy and distracting environment I was working in which contributed to my legendary blunder.

At the age of 30 and unemployed I've always seen programming as my way out of poverty but it seems I'm not good enough. I'm painfully watching that little flicker of hope fizzle out before my tearful eyes. Which other skill can I dabble into product design?? I suck at designs reason why my frontend skills is below average... should I try backend?? I'm just confused, frustrated and down casted not knowing the next step to take while time is no longer on my side.

Life currently has no meaning and direction to me, I just seem to be flowing aimlessly with the flow. My situation is giving me sleepless nights and I now rely on drugs to sleep for even three hours a day.

I really need someone to talk to, I'm really tired of trying to work out things on my own. I'm 30, broke, lonely and depressed, single has been a constant in my life's equation cos I don't even like myself for who I am presently so I don't expect someone's daughter to like me in this my miserable state.

Someone should please show me the way, this dark tunnel is fast turning to a maze that I can't navigate on my own.

How can you be writing like this and be a cement offloaded seems you don't know you worth and can't think properly.

10 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by worldclass68(m): 1:07pm On Mar 15, 2022
It happens bro....life nah phase by phase..
Better days ahead surely.

U only Bleep up if u give up.....peace!!!
Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by sammirano: 1:07pm On Mar 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
What kind of laptop do you use? Invest in getting a better laptop. I know it might sound stupid to a lot of people but my coding skills and productivity increased tremendously when I got a better laptop and qtguru gave me an external monitor. I was using a folio before and coding from a tiny laptop screen was very frustrating. There's a whole lot you can miss if care isn't taken.

You also need to go back and learn responsive design really well. Its something a lot of devs do not know how to do well especially with vanilla CSS. Dont give up on coding though. Just keep getting better.

For future scenarios whenever you want to do responsive design use this viewports

max width (320px) to target this rubbish dual screen phones that have a small one sided screen

max width 479px for normal screen size phones

max width 767 px for normal screen size phones but in horizontal mode and also smaller tablets

max width 991px for tablet size like the ipad

max width 1100px for things like the ipad pro

the rest is your desktop screen size.

There are scenarios you might have designs for very large desktops and small laptop screens but that rarely happens anyway.

Also when testing your responsive design do not drag your screen to test. Use the device toggler in the google chrome devtools. Only drag your screen when you want to test out bugs at different breakpoints.

Besides you crying everyday is normal. Programming is very hard. I cry everyday when I am solving leetcode questions and sincerely regret my existence. It's so crazy and has completely destroyed my mental health that people think I am mad now.

And lastly do not be too hard on yourself. Nigeria is an absolute shithole of a demonic country to be in. You are lucky you even discovered coding and theres hope. What of those on 30k dead end jobs that cant do anything. You even have a laptop. What of those using their phones or worst coding on paper. Just keep at it. Its not easy.

Correct. Useless laptop can make u a dullard.

2 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by djseanjohn77: 1:07pm On Mar 15, 2022
Making mistakes and failing is all part of the process of getting to the desired mark. In life, there is simply no shortcut, forget the Nigerian ideology. Believe in yourself, your present situation does not determine your tomorrow unless you give in. Live positively. I think part of your problem is you already are envisaging a supposed endpoint when you are yet to hit the mark rolling. Patience is a virtue.
Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by worldclass68(m): 1:08pm On Mar 15, 2022
It happens bro....life nah phase by phase..
Better days ahead surely.

U only fvck up if u give up.....peace!!!
Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by victorazy(m): 1:08pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:
Someone gave me a simple job of making an existing static site template responsive within 24 hours and I blew it. A simple task that should take few hours, it looked all good on my localhost only to test it on netlify and it turned out to be a disaster. I'm just so ashamed of myself.

I've been learning web dev since mid last year though its been a case of one month on three months off, I've been grossly inconsistent due circumstances beyond my control. I haven't even coded this year because I come back from my menial hustles with battered bones and weak muscles. You can imagine trying to code after offloading a trailer load of cement all day. I even had to use bet shops around for the gig amidst the pangs of hunger I felt while working coupled with the noisy and distracting environment I was working in which contributed to my legendary blunder.

At the age of 30 and unemployed I've always seen programming as my way out of poverty but it seems I'm not good enough. I'm painfully watching that little flicker of hope fizzle out before my tearful eyes. Which other skill can I dabble into product design?? I suck at designs reason why my frontend skills is below average... should I try backend?? I'm just confused, frustrated and down casted not knowing the next step to take while time is no longer on my side.

Life currently has no meaning and direction to me, I just seem to be flowing aimlessly with the flow. My situation is giving me sleepless nights and I now rely on drugs to sleep for even three hours a day.

I really need someone to talk to, I'm really tired of trying to work out things on my own. I'm 30, broke, lonely and depressed, single has been a constant in my life's equation cos I don't even like myself for who I am presently so I don't expect someone's daughter to like me in this my miserable state.

Someone should please show me the way, this dark tunnel is fast turning to a maze that I can't navigate on my own.

It seems your problem is that you want it very quick. Slow down.

1 Like

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Tzar(m): 1:10pm On Mar 15, 2022
You are one of the few Nigerians I respect. You made a mistake, took responsibility and hopefully learnt from your mistakes.
God will bring better opportunities your way for your honesty.

4 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Nobody: 1:11pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:

Now return back to all the negatives you said about yourself and change to positives. The reason you are still on that same spot is because you see nothing good about yourself or your situation. You are 30 and you blew a website gig, and so what?

Brood over it for 48hrs, pick the lessons and keep moving. It was just one set back.

Go back and read my articles and you will discover that my English writing skills is a disaster. It’s getting better now sha.

What happened? I kept learning and kept getting better. So it can only get better.

It’s your get out of poverty card. It won’t be easy bro. You can only get better.

Shalom

2 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Adek15(m): 1:14pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:

if only you knew what you're destined for all these while. You're a writer. A fictional writer.

On the flip side, your story is more like mine in many cases except the trailer offloading gig and being single to stupor.

Unlike you though, I've decided to settle for backend Web development and I know it will take more time than I envisioned because of my inconsistencies and my suffering from ADHD but I'll get there.

My advice is don't give up in life, every hustler has a payday

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by 15ssDRIVE(m): 1:16pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:

Those frustrations comes only,when you are very close to success. You need no one yo talk to you,talk to yourself.

1 Like

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Donchyke007(m): 1:18pm On Mar 15, 2022
I really don't know what coding entails but what I can relate to is that feeling you are experiencing at the moment. All I can say is never ever give up on your aspirations no matter how hard it seems. My "breakthrough" came at 31yrs(so I thot) and then I came crashing down into the mud 3yrs down the line. This was due to reasons beyond my control and I must say the next 3yrs that followed was the roughest I ever faced as an adult. I could barely feed bruh not to talk of going into a serious r/ship. But I never lost hope! NEVER!! The main breakthrough came from where I least expected. I was in my late 30's bro. Don't panic but be smart and know that all you need is one genuine opportunity. Be patient, it will come eventually. This life nor balance just know say this fan go blow come ya end soon as long as you don't lose hope.

6 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by peacettw: 1:18pm On Mar 15, 2022
You learn from your mistakes and move on.
This has happened to the best of us who incidentally are all still learning.

Remember, there are always new things to learn in the tech industry
Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Andercruz: 1:19pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:

Don't hate urself. Don't abuse urself further.
God be your center of focus.
That failure should awake you to more practical diligence in programming....go back and drill urself further on programming.
The failure is a challenge, so wake up immediately and tackle the challenge headlong.

1 Like

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Africlegend: 1:19pm On Mar 15, 2022
You know the number of people that came here because of your headline? Copywriting may be your strength. Pursue it.

3 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Success957: 1:22pm On Mar 15, 2022
Bro please I want to learn programming
qtguru:
Spend more time reading and praciting , there is the internet and Youtube, understand what it is you are reading, also programming is not something you read, it's the more you practice.

1. Keep updated with newer tech
2. Join a community
3. Watch Youtube
4. Practice if possible code 10 hours a day

Took me 2 years of coding everyday to be good and some months before I could get a job, It took tensazangetsu20 some months. Times are different, it is so much easier that no one has an excuse unless they are learning programming the wrong way.

talk with tensazangetsu20 ASAP if he can advice you. also your mental fortitude matters, if you are defeatists Programming is going to be hard for you.

Coding is a tough skill don't let any bootcamp romanticize coding, it is tough. You have to put in alot
Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by GboyegaD(m): 1:23pm On Mar 15, 2022
Don't beat yourself too much. Just keep on pushing. You failing on that assignment has just taught you not to approach another job from same manner.

If you have friends who are into programming, stay around them when they work to learn a thing or two.

1 Like

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by gaby(m): 1:23pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:

I wish you, strength bro. This too shall pass, believe me.

Every human has these times at some point in their lives.

I call it, " the process to the promise'.

Keep grinding legit, you'll come out stronger, remember these times, shake your head, and laugh your ass off for real.

Peace and love..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Rubyventures: 1:24pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:

Hey, You are too hard on yourself, give yourself a break.
Things are hard for a lot of people. You need to get rid of all the negativity and concentrate on the positives.
After reading your story all I see, is a young man with loads of potential but doesn't know it because he is his own worst enemy and he keeps knocking himself down at every little mistake. Who doesn't make mistakes?
Stop this or you will lead yourself to the road of self destruct and not able to come back.

2 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by alyarmouk(m): 1:25pm On Mar 15, 2022
You are already one step ahead by identifying your flaws.
Take it easy on yourself and prioritize your time. Find time to rest too.

3 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by mildteddy(m): 1:27pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:

Bro calm down.

Send me a DM.
Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by mixmastering: 1:29pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy

The only PERSON who can help you is the same ONE the sons of darkness may want to discourage you from going close to, so that you can end up in despair. GOD.

We were not created to navigate life alone.
GOD did not create you to try and navigate life all by yourself. HE designed you to depend on HIM.
Just the way a sim card will not work without network.

The LORD is our light and salvation.
How can you navigate a dark life without GOD The Light?

Do you know the meaning of,
The LORD is my Shepherd?

Have you cried to GOD daily to direct your steps?

Do you know that if you had committed the process into GOD's hand, the job you were given, HE would have brought the error to your mind way before the Client would have spotted it?

And who told you time is running out for you?
Times and seasons are in GOD's hands:

HE said, I will give you the former rain and the latter tain in the first month.

HE said, I will restore unto you all the years the locust, the canker worm, the Caterpillar, and the palmer worm have eaten, and you will eat in plenty and be satisfied and praise the name of The LORD your GOD who hath dealt so wonderously with you.

Do you even know these promises of GOD for you in Scripture so that you can hold GOD to it and say to HIM, I will not let you go unless you bless me?

When last did you pray and study the Bible?
And you want the sons of darkness and all the wicked ones to just leave you alone?

Power respects power.

When the power of JESUS CHRIST is on you, the power of darkness will always bow to it when they come and try you, failure, despair, lack of motivation etc will disappear.

For me, you have even made progress, because you have just learned one new way to do the same job better a next time.

You need to learn to see challenges and say to it, I will overcome you. I am the winner because greater is HE that is in me than he that is in the world and the TRY AGAIN.

You are not supposed to give up in the face of challenge but to rise up above it.

Now, go and practice more so that if that same job comes your way in the future, you will do it excellently.
That is the way to win in life.

1 Like

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Borntodie: 1:31pm On Mar 15, 2022
Just don't give up.
Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Premiumwriter: 1:32pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:

try freelance writing
Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Techguy96(m): 1:34pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:

Honestly frontend is not easy, I nor go lie for you, especially building a responsive website.

U need to take ur time to study responsive design to be good at frontend.

Also using tools like bootstrap or material ui will be alot better than using vanilla css.

I nor even dey bother use vanilla css again. Everything I do now is bootstrap. I'm currently learning react with material ui tho.

Omo nothing in this life is easy, we just have to push to the end.

As long as u have life, u can't give up. I follow a guy on Twitter who went on to study computer science in his 40s, he was already married with kids. Dude still got a job after graduation.

The founder of KFC didn't achieve success till he was around 60yrs. One just have to keep trying as long as u have life.

3 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by Kimjongun: 1:34pm On Mar 15, 2022
Calm down bro. This is part of the process.
Today I am confident as a software engineer, but I have made unreasonable mistakes in the past too.

I think you are putting too much pressure on yourself, you just started learning last year and you expect to start building something perfect this year? Calm down baba

1 Like

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by maak400: 1:35pm On Mar 15, 2022
For a guy who can write so well like this, I really feel for you bro. Learn WordPress design, it's easier than coding. I was also stuck with learning front end development, till I decided to learn WordPress and look for a job with it. I got a 50k job to manage myself for a while. I proceeded to learning digital marketing to improve myself, and I later got another job of 80k. I am still learning front end development slowly, I have covered HTML5, CSS and I'm currently learning JavaScript. With time, I'll get there. Don't loose hope, because I was just like you, depressed at some point, but now I am a much better and happier person.

2 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by joinnow: 1:37pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:

You should have use 2.5k to sort your challenge out on Fiverr but it took you 24 hours yet no result. Next time if you can do it just outsource and pocket the difference.i know you charged the person more than two thousand Five hundred naira no bi so.
Every expert was once a leaner.
Go back to the drawing board and figure out what went wrong. Focus on not to repeat same mistake. You can then down load 10 YouTube videos on how to make static website responsive. Watch and master it. The easy way to master it is create a mind map then practice practice practice.lastly get a mentor e get why
IT mentor
Spiritual mentor
Etc mentor

3 Likes

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by haggai247: 1:37pm On Mar 15, 2022
Supremedrizzy:

So you one use one year abi coding this is the most outrageous tale ever told.

Mr Man you have gat to give it all you have if you know it's your only way.

Stop pity party because truly no one really cares...it's just the truth.

No get your bum out there and go get results.

Read the entrepreneur guide to getting your shit together by John Carlton.

although it's about copywriting but I'll pull your head straight.

Or Dan Kennedy no bs time managing for entrepreneur.

If you want success you gat to chase it like your life depends on it like OXYGEN.

Or search mk82 on nairaland read his thread it has everything anyone can use to succeed in Nigeria provided you take action.

You want success, you have to control your time and your destiny.

Motion beats meditation Gary c halbert.

Take action no pity party.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless by ekerintee: 1:41pm On Mar 15, 2022
You need to forget what you lost and prepare for a beginner job.even rich people make losses too.Programming is not as easy as people think it's and not what everyone can go into.it requires a high level of reasoning and you have got to be in a good frame of mind.if your mind is troubled,you can't write any meaningful line of code,U need to be consistent if U want to b a programmer,a code that worked last year may not work this year due to update and new versions.so when U leave coding for sometime,U may have to struggle to come back.You need other experienced programmers around you that you can contact when you run into problem and also encourage you.dont wait for jobs to come,work on personal project that you can showcase and also build your confidence.have project and write proposals to potential clients.coding is not as easy as what those one month bootcamp claim.it takes time and practice and consistency.age of 30 is still young ,some start at an older age.dont be too in a haste to get rich as you think programmers are.i think you should start with front end if you are into webdevelopment and then maybe backend .Programmers are not magicians ,it's lots of thinking ,research,Google work and positive attitude.dont stay alone , socialize too

quote author=Supremedrizzy post=111045037]Someone gave me a simple job of making an existing static site template responsive within 24 hours and I blew it. A simple task that should take few hours, it looked all good on my localhost only to test it on netlify and it turned out to be a disaster. I'm just so ashamed of myself.

[/quote]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

EFCC 2016 Recruitment Result Is Out. Names Of Successful Candidates Published / She Sent This Message To Her Recruiter Barely A Week After Interview / 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.