Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,402 members, 7,861,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:48 AM

The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge (67201 Views)

Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo Conducts Inspection Of New 21 E-Gates At Lagos Airport / Tunji-Ojo Test Runs E-Gates At Abuja Airport (Photos) / Buhari's Daughter, Zahra Meets With Bill Gates At UN General Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by aribisala0(m): 3:22pm On Mar 15, 2022
DMerciful:
The SE has been marginalized for long and the only project the fg is doing in the SE will be paid by the Easterners while other fg projects built in other regions are toll free.

You brought a policy in 2021 to cheat the people already cheated. Why are there no fg tolls anywhere else currently? Dont we have roads already built by Bubu that needs tolling?
Well it is clear you have chosen to ferment is a stew of victimhood
First I did not bring the policy . I am not the government

Second What s "Easterner" I do not know what that means all Nigerians use all roads

This road is not yet operational and tolling has not started.
The FG plans to toll several roads not just this one and this is unlikely to be the first toll gate to start collection

Once again what is your proposal ? That the FG should not collect tolls across the country or exempt just this road?

You folk are not capable of logical or rational discourse because you are always emotional and sentimental

Tell us which road the FG has done in the SS or the SW ? Every one is marginalized
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by aribisala0(m): 3:29pm On Mar 15, 2022
DMerciful:
Where are the tollgates on Lagos-Ibadan road, Abuja kaduna kano roads?
The only FG tollgates that we have ever known have been in the SW . In the 80s till Obasanjo ended it.

At that time there was PH to Enugu Road which was not tolled in fact no other roads were tolled .

No one played victim

The FG has immediate plans to toll 12 roads .That has been shared on this thread so clearly you are being mischievous

2 Likes

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by DMerciful(m): 3:30pm On Mar 15, 2022
I thought you guys said Bubu has built roads across the country, why are there no tolls running currently?

Lagos-Ibadan will be tolled? Where are the tollgates?

Tolling is not the problem, every fg road should be tolled even the ones previously built insofar they'd require maintenance in the future.

You're trying to justify Eastern marginalization but failing to do so
aribisala0:
Well it is clear you have chosen to ferment is a stew of victimhood
First I did not bring the policy . I am not the government

Second What s "Easterner" I do not know what that means all Nigerians use all roads

This road is not yet operational and tolling has not started.
The FG plans to toll several roads not just this one and this is unlikely to be the first toll gate to start collection

Once again what is your proposal ? That the FG should not collect tolls across the country or exempt just this road?

You folk are not capable of logical or rational discourse because you are always emotional and sentimental

Tell us which road the FG has done in the SS or the SW ? Every one is marginalized

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by COMPAQ(m): 3:30pm On Mar 15, 2022
Rugaria:
No nation built on nepotism and sectionalism archives her full potential. Infact most promising states around the globe have imploded in the past, under the enermous weight of their iniquitous history full of tribalism, favouritism and grand injustices. This is so, because for the people of any given country to come together and galvanize their collective abilities towards modernizing their state, there must exist a sense of nationalism, patriotism and a common purpose. This can't happen when it has become a government policy to marginalize, antagonize and deprive a certain section that contributes immensely towards the economic growth of the country, her fare share of national projects and recognitions..

A case in point here is the over dramatized Second Niger bridge. In the history of this eternally convulsing amalgam, no project has been so dramatized, so politicized and so unashamedly utilized as a political football by the close minded political class in Abuja, at the detriment of the welfare and greater economic activities in the South East and the South South regions. The drama started way back during the military era, when the aging bridge built by the then Eastern government in the 50s, started to show signs of wear and tear. This bridge was bombed during the Nigeria - Biafra war and was extensively damaged as a result of the endless skirmishes there. For a long time, the bridge has been the only shaky link between the former Eastern Nigeria and the rest of the country. With the economic activities going on in such wonderful places like Onitsha, Aba, Port Harcourt, Owerri and the rest, the enermous economic importance/impact of this bridge can not be over emphasized..

It's against this backdrop, that one is overwhelmingly alarmed at the disdain with which the federal government has carried on with this project over the years. Firstly, under Babangidas administration, a drawing of the bridge was made with plans for a rail crossing. But nothing happened as it rgards construction proper. Obasanjo came in and only laid the foundation stones few hours to his abdication of office in 2007, which was basically nothing but a taunt" to those who considered the bridge an essential project to them! The plan for the rail lines over the bridge was also shelved. Jonathan did start the project but suggested a partnership between the construction companies, the state government and the federal government as it regards the funding. Then came Buhari, whose administration saw the second Niger bridge as the most convenient project to use as a balancing act for his brazen but shameful display of bigotry and classic igbophobia.

The bridge will now have almost a dozen Toll Gates!! This will be the first and only project built under any administration since the coming of civilian rule in 1999, that will demand that those using it will pay for all bills incurred during construction! Ofcourse, it's mainly the people of the South East. There are many projects in the North being handled as we speak, by the federal government that have bigger cost outlays when compared to the second Niger bridge but whose total cost are shouldered entirely by the federal government, even if it means borrowing! A good example is the nearly One trillion Naira Abuja - Zaria - Kano road. Infact, Nigeria has gone on to borrow billions of dollars to erect highways and railways and pipelines to Niger republic, another country! Nigerians as a people will collectively pay for these projects in another country, while the South Easterners, who are going to be the main users of The second Niger bridge, will pay through their noses for EVERY cent used to build that bridge!

"Fellow Nigerians", Is this fair??

Below is The Muhammadu Buhari Toll gates at the yet to be commissioned second Niger bridge:

Bros calm down!! Have those in Lagos not been paying tolls on Lekki - Epe expressway for years? Before Obasanjo cancelled tolls on roads, were there not tolls on expressways nationwide? As part of the Highway Development & Management Initiative launched by Fashola recently and which should be concluded this year, are not about 12 other road across the country not going to be tolled??

So what's this nonsense about it being only SE?? Besides the old Niger bridge is there as an alternative route if you do not want to pay the toll.
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by christistruth01: 3:31pm On Mar 15, 2022
DMerciful:
Why are there no other fg bridge being tolled? Why start with the East?

Lekki Toll gate on Lekki Expressway and Bridge in Lagos is FG Property

It is Tolled to recover the money the State spent on rehabilitating it
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by DMerciful(m): 3:32pm On Mar 15, 2022
Answer the question. Where are the tollgates on Lagos-Ibadan road? Where are the toll gates in Abuja, Kaduna kano roads?
aribisala0:
The only FG tollgates that we have ever known have been in the SW . In the 80s till Obasanjo ended it.

At that time there was PH to Enugu Road which was not tolled in fact no other roads were tolled .

No one played victim

The FG has immediate plans to toll 12 roads .That has been shared on this thread so clearly you are being mischievous

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by DMerciful(m): 3:36pm On Mar 15, 2022
Olodo. Those are Lagos state govt projects
christistruth01:

Lekki Toll gate on Lekki Expressway and Bridge in Lagos is FG Property

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by aribisala0(m): 3:38pm On Mar 15, 2022
DMerciful:
I thought you guys said Bubu has built roads across the country, why are there no tolls running currently?

Lagos-Ibadan will be tolled? Where are the tollgates?

Tolling is not the problem, every fg road should be tolled even the ones previously built insofar they'd require maintenance in the future.

You're trying to justify Eastern marginalization but failing to do so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBw_JOE0Ktk

Which guys? Guy stop talking like a tout.

Address me directly and do not put words in my mouth.

I am neither part of nor a spokesman for the government

On this thread someone has shared the FG plans to toll several roads
You deliberately ignored that because it does not fit into your victimhood narrative.
The FG has plans to collect toll from several roads that are already existing

Therefore I can only tell you the bitter truth: YOU are a liar and deliberately trying to push a dishonest agenda.

Where are the tollgates on the Lagos Ibadan expressway ? That is a childish question borne out of dishonesty
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by christistruth01: 3:40pm On Mar 15, 2022
DMerciful:
Olodo. Those are Lagos state govt projects

Lekki Expressway and Bridge is a Federal Highway rehabilitated by the State the effect is the same as using loans the money needs to be recovered so that other new roads and bridges can be Built
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by ednut1(m): 3:41pm On Mar 15, 2022
SpecialAdviser:

So your problem is that we didn't cry earlier? I see. Until I see them toll every Federal roads, this is evil.
there is nothing evil in tolls. In canada where i stay they have tolls too. Its optional to use just like this second bridge. The first bridge still dey there for free
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by ednut1(m): 3:41pm On Mar 15, 2022
christistruth01:

Lekki Expressway and Bridge is a Federal Highway
false. Its a state road originally built by jakande.
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by DMerciful(m): 3:43pm On Mar 15, 2022
When you've been cornered, you start insulting.

You guys have gone to town to shout how Bubu has been completing roads across the country. I asked for toll gates on these roads and you start running from pillar to post.

The second niger bridge is being built by Easterners because they'd pay for it, deal with it!
aribisala0:

Which guys? Guy stop talking like a tout.

Address me directly and do not put words in my mouth.

I am neither part of nor a spokesman for the government

On this thread someone has shared the FG plans to toll several roads
You deliberately ignored that because it does not fit into your victimhood narrative.
The FG has plans to collect toll from several roads that are already existing

Therefore I can only tell you the bitter truth: YOU are a liar and deliberately trying to push a dishonest agenda.

Where are the tollgates on the Lagos Ibadan expressway ? That is a childish question borne out of dishonesty

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by christistruth01: 3:43pm On Mar 15, 2022
ednut1:
there is nothing evil in tolls. In canada where i stay they have tolls too. Its optional to use just like this second bridge. The first bridge still dey there for free

In London the Dartford Bridge is tolled anybody who doesn't want to pay can use the Rotherhithe Tunnel or London bridge
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by aribisala0(m): 3:44pm On Mar 15, 2022
DMerciful:
Answer the question. Where are the tollgates on Lagos-Ibadan road? Where are the toll gates in Abuja, Kaduna kano roads?
They will arrive in due course. The road is not complete yet is it?
Fashola said in the video

that toll collection will not start till the road is motorable

So to talk of marginalization we should wait till construction is complete and toll collection starts
It is legitimate to be watchful if you are fearful of discrimination but talking prematurely just reveals your lack of "sophistication" grin.

Toll collection has not started so wait till that starts before whining
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by B2Bmen: 3:44pm On Mar 15, 2022
BabalawoPikin:
nothing will happen. The elections will come and go.. BAT will be sworn in. And voila! Everything will become new... We are going lasigidi way grin
just as abiola was sworn in
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by OfoIgbo: 3:44pm On Mar 15, 2022
Taiggarr:

Disappoint me

Your father is WRETCHED!!!

Son of a semi literate Peasant..

Look at this Urchin kid...

As per the bolded, we don't share the same father.

All this your anger, just because Buhari could not complete a simple bridge in 7 years and yet he expects GEJ to complete the same bridge in 5 years.

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by DMerciful(m): 3:44pm On Mar 15, 2022
Go sidon jare. You're not informed! No fg road or bridge is being tolled!
christistruth01:

Lekki Expressway and Bridge is a Federal Highway rehabilitated by the State the effect is the same as using loans the money needs to be recovered so that other new roads and bridges can be Built

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by christistruth01: 3:46pm On Mar 15, 2022
ednut1:
false. Its a state road originally built by jakande.

DMerciful:
Oga, they've built tolls on 2nd NigerBridge before completion so why not build tolls on those ones? Or are they going to build the tolls after commissioning?

Lekki Expressway and Bridgeis a Federal Road

How many Expressways belong to the State ?

It was the FG that gave Lagos state permission to use the Lekki Toll gate to recover it's investment on rebuilding the abandoned Federal Road

Anybody who doesn't want to pay should go and use the old Niger Bridge

Shikena

We are praying for at least 2 more Bridges to be built over the Niger to Onitsha within 5 years and you are dragging Toll gate money you are not serious
How will the new bridges be built
..go and sit down!!

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by aribisala0(m): 3:46pm On Mar 15, 2022
DMerciful:

You guys have gone to town to shout how Bubu has been completing roads across the country. I asked for toll gates on these roads and you start running from pillar to post.

The second niger bridge is being built by Easterners because they'd pay for it, deal with it!
Once again stop talking like a tout

Which guys are you talking about and when did I join them?

Who are Easterners? Nigerians paid for the bridge and all Nigerians will pay the tol

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by DMerciful(m): 3:46pm On Mar 15, 2022
In Canada, they'll not toll one section of the country.

Where in Canada do you stay because in British Columbia, i have never seen any tolls, not even on transcanada highways
ednut1:

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by aribisala0(m): 3:47pm On Mar 15, 2022
christistruth01:

Lekki Expressway and Bridgeis a Federal Road

How many Expressways belong to the State ?

It was the FG that gave Lagos state permission to use the Lekki Toll gate to recover it's investment on rebuilding the Federal Road

This is wrong

It is not a Federal road and FG did not give permission

The state and even local governments are well within their rights to toll roads
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by Parachoko: 3:47pm On Mar 15, 2022
Miracle2022:
Is lekki not toll? Even the so called railway in Niger will be toll. No matter what buhari do to you people you will continue to hate him. Tafawa Balewa build the first Niger bridge but what did you do to him. You killed him! There is nothing they will do to you that you will not wail.
Mr man, you are free to wail till you die like Ojukwu. Who cares?
I've never seen where a railway iss tolled before o shocked
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by AsampeteNwaanyi(f): 3:48pm On Mar 15, 2022
Atiwaye:
Idiot useless boy you reported me last time the bastardbanned indeed report me again I don't care useless boy go and get job.
mynd44 lalasticlala seun

Rule 2
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by DMerciful(m): 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2022
Tolls have not been built, is it after commissioning they'd put tolls? You're not making sense!
aribisala0:
They will arrive in due course. The road is not complete yet is it?
Fashola said in the video

that toll collection will not start till the road is motorable

So to talk of marginalization we should wait till construction is complete and toll collection starts
It is legitimate to be watchful if you are fearful of discrimination but talking prematurely just reveals your lack of "sophistication" grin.

Toll collection has not started so wait till that starts before whining

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by aribisala0(m): 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2022
DMerciful:

https://guardian.ng/news/streetlights-four-tollgates-underway-for-lagos-ibadan-expressway/
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by ednut1(m): 3:52pm On Mar 15, 2022
DMerciful:
In Canada, they'll not toll one section of the country.

Where in Canada do you stay because in British Columbia, i have never seen any tolls, not even on transcanada highways
highway 407 in GTA ontario is tolled. Was charged twice for using it, i now set my google maps to avoid tolls. The fg have said they are bringing back toll. When the bridge is completed and other are not tolled then you can scream and complain. For now mechunu.

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by DMerciful(m): 3:52pm On Mar 15, 2022
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by aribisala0(m): 3:53pm On Mar 15, 2022
DMerciful:
Tolls have not been built, is it after commissioning they'd put tolls? You're not making sense!
Who told you tolls have not been built
https://punchng.com/man-lcci-warn-as-fg-tolls-lagos-ibadan-abuja-lokoja-enugu-pharcourt-roads-others/

Stop the propaganda
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by DMerciful(m): 3:55pm On Mar 15, 2022
You're sure this is a transcanada highway built by Canada central govt or Ontario provincial govt? How come transcanada ways are not tolled in BC?

Are there no existing fg roads now that can be tolled? Why start with the East?
ednut1:
highway 407 in GTA ontario is tolled. Was charged twice for using it, i now set my google maps to avoid tolls. The fg have said they are bringing back toll. When the bridge is completed and other are not tolled then you can scream and complain. For now mechunu.

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by aribisala0(m): 3:55pm On Mar 15, 2022
DMerciful:
Will? SMH.

Where are the tolls being built?
Stupid question

On the Road
Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by DMerciful(m): 3:56pm On Mar 15, 2022
Still in the future grin

Give it a rest bro
aribisala0:
Who told you tolls have not been built
https://punchng.com/man-lcci-warn-as-fg-tolls-lagos-ibadan-abuja-lokoja-enugu-pharcourt-roads-others/

Stop the propaganda

1 Like

Re: The Evil Toll Gates At Onitsha Second Niger Bridge by warlordd(m): 3:56pm On Mar 15, 2022
Praise President Buhari for building the bridge and blame former president Goodluck Jonathan for the tollgates.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Seyi Makinde: I Used Carrots, Vitamin C, Blackseed Oil, Honey To Fight COVID-19 / What Nigerian Soldiers Saw At Dikwa (some Graphic Photos) / Photos From Scene Of Ebonyi "Suicide" Bomb Attack (Graphic Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.