Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,404 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

Taming Your Tongue - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Taming Your Tongue (196 Views)

3 Powerful Things Your Tongue Will Do To Your Life / How Do You Feel After Speaking In Tongue? / Speaking In Tongue; A Great Lie By Olakunle Allison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Taming Your Tongue by topshore(f): 11:55am On Mar 15, 2022
Scripture Text: James 3:2 - “We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.”[b][/b]

The tongue is certainly the most dangerous part of our body. “Death and life are in the power of the tongue” (Proverbs 18:21). “Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity” -Prov. 21:23. Words can make or break lives, relationships and churches. The line between information, gossip and slander is easily crossed. No-one can tame the tongue–except God, by His grace.

What is ironic in the human tongue, mine naturally included, is that “With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God” (James 3:9). Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! That’s like expecting to find poisonous water and fresh water coming out of the same fountain. Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water? Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you can’t draw fresh water from a salty spring” -James 3:8-12. It is contrary to the Spirit of God and the will of God. Sadly, no human can tame this wild tongue of ours so we must rely on God’s strength in trying to bridle it because it’s just about as hard as bridling a wild stallion. “No human being can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison.

James 3 scripture… it says that “No human being can tame the tongue?” What’s the point of trying if it can’t be done? Matthew 19:26 says that “Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.” The way to tame your tongue is by partnering with the Holy Spirit; these problems cannot be solved or transformed by mere willpower.

“Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit…For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks” -Matt 12:33-34

Why It is Important To Tame Our Tongue

Words have meaning. They can bring great joy and admonishment but they can also leave deep wounds where scars cannot be seen or easily be healed. One small word can do so much good but it can also do so much bad. The power of the human tongue is that it can make a child believe they’ll never amount to anything or they’ll feel encouraged by their parents and feel like they can amount to anything. The rudder on a great ship is so tiny compared to the vessel but that same tiny rudder can cause the whole vessel to sink.

1. Peter writes about the tongue as something we must do; keep it from evil and the “lips from speaking deceit.” It takes a cooperative work with the Spirit and Jesus strengthening us to keep this rebel member of the body. The tongue likes to move before the brain told it what to say. Peter puts it like this; if we love life and desire to see a good day then keep the tongue from evil (words) and lips from lying because “a lying tongue” is an abomination to God (Prov 6:17).

2. Do you claim to be religious but just can’t keep your tongue under control? James has a word for you; if someone really thinks he’s a religious person but lies and deceives, then that person’s religion is totally worthless. It’s one thing to say you’re a Christian but sometimes our words betray us; they reveal what’s in our heart. Jesus clarifies this point by saying “the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these things defile a man” (Matt 15:18) because it is “out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander” (Matt 15:19).

3. Saying rash words are deadly and poisonous. One second of restraint can mean avoiding a thousand days of regret. Spontaneous anger never ends well and the person who spoke the angry words nearly always ends up with regrets for what they said. The use of imagery is very vivid and compares to the deadliness of a quick thrusting of rash words with that of actual sword thrusts. This naturally injures the person on the receiving end however the tongue of the wise can often heal what the rash person has inflicted. The rash one is constantly cutting a path by mowing down everyone in their way on the way to what they want, however the wise person’s words can act as a balm that promotes inner healing.

4. Also, it is important to tame our tongue because it takes one tiny bit of gossip, one slip of someone’s confidential files, or some flash of anger in a moment to set a whole forest on fire. Smallness does not mean insignificant. Dynamite does come in small packages and nothing in the human body packs a punch like the human tongue. It can do so many great things but it can also do so many destructive things. Like the old Navy saying “loose lips sink ships” so a tongue can sink a marriage, a church, a relationship, a job, and just about anything else you can imagine. The tongue’s like a loose cannon on a wave-tossed ship. It can help but it can also quickly turn on you.

5. Solomon sees a gentle tongue as one that gives life but when used in a perverse or evil manner, it breaks the person’s spirit. At least it breaks their resistance to perversion. The tongue and the words used can be profanity-laced or grace-filled. The choice is purely up to the one which the tongue belongs too. It is a matter of personal choice so it is always best to remember that “The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouths of fools pour out folly” (Prov 15:2).

Biblical Verses That Talks About The Importance of Taming Our Tongues

“The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing” -Prov 12:18

“Set a guard over my mouth, LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips” -Psalm 141:3

Psalm 34:12-13 – “Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days, keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies.”

Proverbs 10:11 – “The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life…”

Proverbs 10:19 – “Sin is not ended by multiplying words, but the prudent hold their tongues.”

Proverbs 10:21 – “The lips of the righteous nourish many…”

Proverbs 10:31 – “From the mouth of the righteous comes the fruit of wisdom, but a perverse tongue will be silenced.”

Proverbs 11:12 – “Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue.”

Proverbs 12:18 – “The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”

Proverbs 15:1 – “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”

Proverbs 15:4 – “The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit.”

Proverbs 16:23-24 – “The hearts of the wise make their mouths prudent, and their lips promote instruction. Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.”

James 3:8 “But no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.”

Proverbs 18:21 “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.”

Proverbs 12:18 “There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”

1 Peter 3:10 “Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit.”

James 3:5 “So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire.”

James 1:26 “If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.”

Proverbs 15:4 “A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.”

How Can You Tame Your Tongue?

1. DEDICATE YOUR HEART, MIND, AND TONGUE TO THE LORD, DAILY
Seek holistic purity. Pray that God would protect your mind from thoughts that lead to words of destruction. Offer all the words of the day ahead to Him with praise. Hebrews 13:5 says, “Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise–the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.” When we choose praise, we “sacrifice” slander, gossip, fear-based words, and the language of hell. Luke 6:45 says that, “The mouth speaks what the heart is full of!” What are you filling your heart and mind with?

2. PRAY THAT GOD WOULD GIVE YOU AN AWARENESS/CONSCIOUSNESS OF YOUR WORDS
Someone once said, “Taste your words before you spit them out!” Acknowledge your need for discernment and God’s grace to help you remain conscious of your words. Be intentional. If you’re supposed to speak up, do it with boldness. If you are supposed to remain silent, do it with boldness. Psalm 19:14- “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength.” Take responsibility for the words that come out of your mouth.

3. SURRENDER UP YOUR “RIGHT” TO COMPLAIN
You and I are not entitled to the act of complaining, especially not in front of your friends, coworkers, and strangers. No one enjoys hearing it, and the people that seem to don’t have your best interests in mind. If people don’t engage you or agree with you when you complain about yourself and others, it is because you are making them uncomfortable.

4. ASK FOR FORGIVENESS FOR ANY UNLOVING WORDS OR ATTITUDES
“Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way” James 3:2. Spend some time with the Lord repenting and asking for forgiveness regarding language or words that you have spoken that are offensive. Commit to working on changing the way you speak in order to demonstrate His love to the world.

5. PRACTICE SPEAKING WORDS THAT WILL ENCOURAGE, COMFORT, EDIFY, AND INSPIRE
Ask God to guide you to speak words that will honor Him and accomplish His purposes. The goal is to SPEAK LIFE. This means that you try practicing Ephesians 4:29 which says, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” To encourage means to give support, confidence, or hope. To comfort means to soothe, console, or bring freedom from pain. To edify means to cultivate, develop, and build up. And to inspire means to motivate, excite, energize, and to “breathe into.”

In conclusion, what was on the tongue of the psalmist should be on ours too as he wrote, “I cried to him with my mouth, and high praise was on my tongue” (Psalm 66:17) so “my tongue will talk of your righteous help all the day long” (Psalm 71:24). There is no greater use for the tongue “because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Rom 10:9).

If you would like to give your life to Christ, say this short prayer:
"Lord Jesus, I come before You today, come into my life, take control of my life, and change my world, in Your name I pray, amen".

Congratulations!!!

God bless you.

Peace!

Ref: https://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com

(1) (Reply)

All The Fagots On Here / A Word In Due Season - Saturday, April 9th 2022 / Breaking News: General Overseer Of OPM Ministry Offer To Train Late Deborah Sibl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.