Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,246 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) (2232 Views)

Salary Is Slavery Series:business & Life Mistakes To Avoid (3) / Salary Is Slavery Series: Business And Life Mistakes To Avoid / Salary Is Slavery: See The Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) by bestads(m): 2:51am On Jul 01, 2011
GET GOD INVOLVED

Our next mentor, a fascinating real estate billionaire, is in the queue, as I hinted in my last article. I felt impelled, however, to let you in into some very valuable thoughts emanating from my circle of mentors and advisers. They should help you to maximise whatever tips you might have picked from my series on how to invest wisely in 2010. They say it is the little foxes that spoil the show and you would do well to guard against that small stuff that can throw spanners into your life’s works.

Over the past couple of weeks, I had been paying scheduled visits to some of my mentors and a number of my advisers. My goal basically, was to pick their brains. I wanted to find out what I had missed out in few areas over the years so that I could correct them. I had not seen a couple of them for an upward of 10 months even though we chatted occasionally on phone. What I found out were quite revealing, and I believe they would help you too to normalise few things that have gone wrong either in your business or personal life.

I have been able to distill their observations and comments into about 30 nuggets that you should not only read, but you should make your commandments for life and business. I believe the tips were genuinely and frankly shared with me. Just before I start out on the tips, let me share these observations with you.

During my discussion with one of mentors (He is a consultant of international repute who just retired a few years back) in his office in Ikoyi, Lagos, I asked why he had not shared with me before what he was now sharing, his reply was surprising: “My advice is available to those who ask for it. I could not advise you on what you did not ask me about.” That to me is a very big lesson. It means that help is always available to those who care to ask for it. It also means you can be consumed by adversity in the midst of wise counsels. I hope that sinks. Always ask for help when you need one. It can be in the area of career, business and life generally.

The second observation: I had gone on appointment to see another mentor (sorry, business coach!) to discuss a few issues. He listened to me attentively, but surprisingly, he did not answer any of my questions. He observed that I had not been following most of the advice he had been giving to me without getting back to him on my reason for that. He said he would like to play the role of a coach and not a mentor and what that would mean was that he would give me an assignment and I would have to discuss my progress on that before giving me another one. His concern was that a protégé could go off tangent even in the face of multitude of counsellors. The highpoint of the meeting was that he asked me to close my diary for a week to attend a coaching class he would be organising. I was there at his instance for a week, (9.00a.m. to 4.00p.m. daily). Listening to him pours his heart out on many life and business issues, it was a feeling of regrets that enveloped me. I was saying to myself, I had access to this person all those days and I was never able to access such incredible nuggets of wisdom from him. In any case what I picked in those five days were enough to last a lifetime. They form part of the 30 nuggets I would be sharing with you in the next few weeks as the time permits before I bring our next mentor on stage. Let us get going.

TIP 1: Failure to give spiritual matters prioirities over material things. My business coach who is in the same line of business as I am was very emphatic on this issue of spiritual imperatives. His words: “I have tried all the sides and I can tell you that any man who does not take spiritual issues very seriously is wasting his time. I don’t care what it is you believe in. You must believe that there is an unseen force that has a hand in how your life turns and you would do well to learn how to relate with that Higher Power. You should believe this: that everything your hands can touch; everything your nose can smell; everything your eyes can see and, indeed, everything your senses can perceive is only a fraction of the possibilities. Far more things that you can imagine exist outside the physical plane and it is your responsibility to learn how to tap into that realm.”

There are spiritual laws governing the universe and that is why you observe that certain things happen on their own accords. You don’t have to pray for rain to fall; rain would come down when the cloud is full. Night and day come on their own, whether you cooperate with it or otherwise. Animals know how to ride on the laws of nature to maximise their existence. It is only human beings that try to work against the laws and, of course, this belligerent attitude has dire consequences.”

When I asked him to explain some of the spiritual principles one can apply he offered this: “Meditation is one of them. You must build this into your daily activities. At the end of everyday, spend some time, about 30 minutes or so, to reflect on what happened during the day and when you can afford it spend time alone to reflect on what you are doing, your life, your business and everything. If you do this regularly you would discover that you have access to information that you thought was not immediately available to you”.

“The truth is that every one has a solution to whatever challenge he or she might face at any time if only he would take time to think and look within. Unfortunately, most people run helter-skelter at the slightest appearance of a challenge. They do not know that help is available to those who desperately and diligently seek it.”

Next week, we are going to look at few more tips.
Re: Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) by shedraq1: 5:25pm On Feb 06, 2012
watch out for part three
Re: Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) by drmax(m): 4:30pm On Feb 16, 2012
Very interesting. Keep it coming please.
Re: Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) by tysa(m): 8:08pm On Feb 17, 2012
i know this, but unfortunately rarely practice it, thanks for refreshing my memories, bravo, more of this please, tayo_1806@yahoo.co.uk

i'll appreciate if i can get this in my mailbox, thanks
Re: Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) by vicoloni(m): 8:06am On Feb 18, 2012
thanks for this refreshing piece. victoroniyire@yahoo.co.uk is my mail box ad if you dont mind to share more with me.
Thanks.
Re: Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) by PasNet: 3:09pm On Feb 18, 2012
Telecoms Training Scholarship seminar, @ Kings Crown Business School

PasNet Technologies and Emmanson Solutions in patnership with Kings Crown Business School, Presents 2012 Telecoms Training Scholarship for Graduates, Undergraduates, and Job seekers, get an opportunity to work in a Telecoms/I.C.T firms, 80% Garanteed, Come for the next Workshop
Venue: 148/150 Bode Thomas Street, Surulere, Lagos
Date: 24th-26th Feb. 2012 by 12 P.M daily,
call 07043618474 for more info

Re: Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) by bestads(m): 8:24pm On Jul 13, 2012
i want to continue this series because our youths need to become entrepreneurs and not job seekers
Re: Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) by joyceok: 6:11am On Dec 28, 2013
bestads: i want to continue this series because our youths need to become entrepreneurs and not job seekers

Pla revive these inspirational articles in 2014
Re: Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) by bestads(m): 1:31pm On Dec 28, 2013
joyceok:

Pls revive these inspirational articles in 2014

see https://www.nairaland.com/1571612/salary-slavery-series-business-life#20513667
Re: Salary Is Slavery Series:business And Life Mistakes To Avoid(1) by bestads(m): 10:21pm On Mar 31, 2016
this will be renewed

(1) (Reply)

Massive Oil & Gas Recruitment At Top Onshore/offshore Oil & Gas Co (57 Positions / 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview / Please Advice Is This Job Or Poverty!!!!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.