Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,691 members, 7,816,824 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY (829 Views)

A Killing Verse You Should See! What Is The Context? / Divorce Not Allowed, But It Is Better To Be Alive - Pastor Enenche ( Video) / RCCG Sunday School Student’s Manual April 8: Topic — Divorce - Not An Option (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY by AntiChristian: 4:10pm On Mar 16, 2022
In Matthew 19:3-9, Jesus was not speaking about polygamy. Rather, He is only answering a question about divorce. Indeed, the entire passage is about divorce, not polygamy.

"Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”
“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”
Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Matthew 19:3-9.

Indeed, in Matthew 19:8-9, Jesus simply repeats the Deuteronomy 24:1 "as it had been in the beginning", that God has always been against divorce of what He joined together. In Matthew 19:3, the Pharisees were asking about "every" reason for divorcing, but Jesus returned back with the only one allowed reason (the woman's "fornication / uncleanness"wink, as per Deuteronomy 24:1.

Polygamy is about marriage, whereas divorce is about breaking up marriage. Accordingly, Jesus was not speaking against pro-marriage polygamy in Matthew 19. He was instead addressing marriage-destruction of divorce. It was about divorce, not polygamy.

Taiwojon

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY by milliondollas(m): 4:37pm On Mar 16, 2022
MUSLIM ANIMAL YOU ARE FREE TO MARRY AS MANY WIFE AS YOUR WOMANIZING PROPHET MUHAMMAD
Re: The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:46pm On Mar 16, 2022
You need to think intelligently before you can grasp what happened that day!

The Jews often give their wives certificate of divorce in other to marry another woman (younger and none Israelites) Malachi 2:13-16

So when those women realized that their problem is not about divorce per say but that the man wants another or younger woman they will plead ahead that the man could take another woman instead of sending them away.

That's how it's connected to polygamy.
Ordinarily if Moses has insisted that it's only when their wives die that they can marry another, trust those stiff-necked people their women will be dying like fouls after all what does it cost a man to kill his wife? Matthew 19:8 smiley
Re: The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY by Dtruthspeaker: 8:41pm On Mar 16, 2022
AntiChristian:

"Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”
“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, [color=#990000]‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh.[color=#990000]Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife[kiss a certificate of divorce and send her away?”
Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

"His wife" all over the place not "his wives" or "any of his wives"!

But this evil will never hear!
Re: The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY by AntiChristian: 8:28am On Mar 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Open your eyes! The context is not of Polygamy but of Divorce! I wonder why Jesus will use wives when talking about divorce!

1 Like

Re: The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY by MiddleDimension: 6:16am On Dec 27, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

So you that ignored the plain words of Nathan to david that god gave him his wives, are now resorting to insisting on plain words. fraudster like you! Ole, thief barawo shege banza!

If jesus said his wife, well that's because he understands that in polygamy, the husband is joined to his wives individually and the two are one body individually.

How do I know this is the case?

LET ME SHOW YOU!

Christian marriage is like unto the relationship between god and the church, Israel or individual christian. He went further to prove this in the songs of solomon which is basically a romantic poem between a man and a woman where the man is the image of god, and the woman the image of the church, israel or the individual christian. The story of Hosea also illustrate how the christian marriage is a mirror of the relationship between god and his born again, israel or the church. God said to Hosea: go and get married; your wife will be unfaithful in the same way my people are unfaithful and have left me (hosea 1 vs 2). Just as god who is your husband is one with you the moment he gave you his spirit when you became born again, so too is he is one with your fellow believer when he became born again. since god can be the husband of two different believers, so too can a man be the husband of more than one woman, remember, christian marriage is likened to the relationship between god and his church, israel or the born again.
Re: The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY by MiddleDimension: 6:51am On Dec 27, 2022
AntiChristian:

Open your eyes! The context is not of Polygamy but of Divorce! I wonder why Jesus will use wives when talking about divorce!

absolutely!

YOU HAVE REALLY DONE SO MUCH FOR THESE PEOPLE. REMEMBER, EVEN WHEN JESUS WAS AROUND, THE 'BORN AGAINS', WERE THE ONES WHO CONTRADICTED HIM THE MOST.

1 Like

Re: The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY by Dtruthspeaker: 9:53am On Dec 27, 2022
MiddleDimension:

So you that ignored the plain words of Nathan to david that god gave him his wives, are now resorting to insisting on plain words. fraudster like you! Ole, thief barawo shege banza!

Every reasonable person can see that Nathan was simply saying

"After all the wives you have taken and appropriated to yourself and God has not Said any thing yet, yet, you still went ahead to take another wife even to the point of murder? So, you do this because God did not talk"

Which we see that it became too too bad for David because, now God had Spoken and everything scattered.

So, your insulting me was just a clear sign of your desperation to run away from the Pain Truth gives the guilty when it Comes!

MiddleDimension:

If jesus said his wife, well that's because he understands that in polygamy,

The Lord is always precise. When He wanted to say "wife" He Said it and if He intended to say "wives", He would have Said it., For remember, He is The Word, So He knows the value of Words!
Re: The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY by MiddleDimension: 4:50pm On Dec 27, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Every reasonable person can see that Nathan was simply saying

"After all the wives you have taken and appropriated to yourself and God has not Said any thing yet, yet, you still went ahead to take another wife even to the point of murder? So, you do this because God did not talk"

Which we see that it became too too bad for David because, now God had Spoken and everything scattered.

So, your insulting me was just a clear sign of your desperation to run away from the Pain Truth gives the guilty when it Comes!

The Lord is always precise. When He wanted to say "wife" He Said it and if He intended to say "wives", He would have Said it., For remember, He is The Word, So He knows the value of Words!

mtchew!!!
Re: The Context Is DIVORCE NOT POLYGAMY by Uniquekriss(m): 4:53pm On Dec 27, 2022
There's a page on FB that I've found so educating and wouldn't love to enjoy it alone. Please follow "The WORD Media-TWM" and get beautiful Christian contents plus daily devotionals of different denominations

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Join Illuminati To Be Rich And Powerful -registered Now! / Christian Started The Slave Trade!! / Spiritual Understanding Of Nigeria's Economic Woes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.