Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,212 members, 7,815,232 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy (921 Views)

Abeg Make Una Help Me Check Vin Number JTEGD21A050107378 / Help Me Check If This Is Genuine As Custom Paper / All-new 2019 Toyota Rav4 Unveiled (photos, Details And Price) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Victoronah1: 7:36pm On Mar 16, 2022
Hello everyone, please if you're a car guru, or mechanic, help a brother pay for this car, naija used. We agreed on 2.2million to pay tomorrow, car interiors are neat. No leakage as I took one of my Benz mechanic who checked under. Car is at 130k miles. I scanned it and found this issues using my OBD2 scanner.

The car is actually for my mum and I don't want her to be visiting mechanics like mumu. I attached a pic of what fault the scanner revealed.

Attached is also the vin number
JTMZK33V485019420

Also to add, car exhaust brings out smoke and water, and the mechanic said the engine is very sound

Thanks

Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by sben2308(m): 7:42pm On Mar 16, 2022
Whr is the pix of the car and others

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Victoronah1: 7:46pm On Mar 16, 2022
sben2308:
Whr is the pix of the car and others
okay. Here you go boss
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Victoronah1: 8:04pm On Mar 16, 2022
Hello
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by fineboynl(m): 9:09pm On Mar 16, 2022
I wouldn't advice because it's a V6.

Look for 4 cylinder since it's for your mother. But among all the car is neat.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Victoronah1: 9:14pm On Mar 16, 2022
fineboynl:
I wouldn't advice because it's a V6.

Look for 4 cylinder since it's for your mother. But among all the car is neat.
thank you. My mum drove an infinity V6 engine, so she is already familiar with the fuel ratio I guess. I'm more concerned on the price, if I priced it good?
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by fineboynl(m): 9:25pm On Mar 16, 2022
Victoronah1:
thank you. My mum drove an infinity V6 engine, so she is already familiar with the fuel ratio I guess. I'm more concerned on the price, if I priced it good?
direct toks is 4m to 4.5m depends on it sharpness and miles.

2.2m is fair enough that's if there is no problem. You might need a good technician to help you dignose it.

There are some of them here.

Cc: GAZZUZZ
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Victoronah1: 10:07pm On Mar 16, 2022
fineboynl:
direct toks is 4m to 4.5m depends on it sharpness and miles.

2.2m is fair enough that's if there is no problem. You might need a good technician to help you dignose it.

There are some of them here.

Cc: GAZZUZZ
thank you. Even the direct toks, doesn't come without a fault once you hook-up a scanner.
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Meya23(m): 12:49am On Mar 17, 2022
Victoronah1:
Hello everyone, please if you're a car guru, or mechanic, help a brother pay for this car, naija used. We agreed on 2.2million to pay tomorrow, car interiors are neat. No leakage as I took one of my Benz mechanic who checked under. Car is at 130k miles. I scanned it and found this issues using my OBD2 scanner.

The car is actually for my mum and I don't want her to be visiting mechanics like mumu. I attached a pic of what fault the scanner revealed.

JTMZK33V485019420

Also to add, car exhaust brings out smoke and water, and the mechanic said the engine is very sound

Thanks

I'm not a car guru but from what you have described I think it's a going to be a good buy at that price, they problems the scanner showed can be taken care of by a good technician. However, from the VIN check the last odometer is 168k miles, so it was definitely rolled back when it got to Nigeria in 2018.
You can go with a second trusted mechanic today to do your final checks before payment.
Godspeed!!!
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Victoronah1: 3:31am On Mar 17, 2022
Meya23:

I'm not a car guru but from what you have described I think it's a going to be a good buy at that price, they problems the scanner showed can be taken care of by a good technician. However, from the VIN check the last odometer is 168k miles, so it was definitely rolled back when it got to Nigeria in 2018.
You can go with a second trusted mechanic today to do your final checks before payment.
Godspeed!!!
thank you boss. 168k miles is alot,would you consider me paying 2.2 mil of a car with 168k miles, remember it's for my mum and I don't want to get her a car that will affect her.
can you give me the website where you checked the odometer?
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by sben2308(m): 5:16am On Mar 17, 2022
Victoronah1:

JTMZK33V485019420

Thanks

AV READ ALL COMMENTS BACK N FORTH ,PLS ENGINE PIX AND CLEAR/BOLD .2.2M IS FAIR BUT NOTHING WRONG IN NEGOTIATING TO 2M IF THEY ACCEPT. ALSO IF ITS LAGOS I DONT MIND HELPING OUT WITH INSPECTION CUZ MY MAIN CONCERN NOW IS JUST ENGINE ,INTERIOR VERY OKAY
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Victoronah1: 6:15am On Mar 17, 2022
sben2308:

AV READ ALL COMMENTS BACK N FORTH ,PLS ENGINE PIX AND CLEAR/BOLD .2.2M IS FAIR BUT NOTHING WRONG IN NEGOTIATING TO 2M IF THEY ACCEPT. ALSO IF ITS LAGOS I DONT MIND HELPING OUT WITH INSPECTION CUZ MY MAIN CONCERN NOW IS JUST ENGINE ,INTERIOR VERY OKAY
I'll snap engine this morning and send. Is there away I can send it over directly to you on WhatsApp for faster replies sir?
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by valarinz: 6:19am On Mar 17, 2022
Victoronah1:
thank you boss. 168k miles is alot, would you consider me paying 2.2 mil of a car with 168k miles, remember it's for my mum and I don't want to get her a car that will affect her.
can you give me the website where you checked the odometer?

Can't believe the bolded part

168k miles is a lot for a 2008 model car? Are you kidding me?

And to top it all, you are still contemplating on the 2.2m price, so you really wanted to buy a car with 50k miles for 2.2m

Classic naija folks : champagne taste, zobo budget. Good luck in your quest for low mileage Toyota RAV4 with lower mileage

4 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by fineboynl(m): 6:30am On Mar 17, 2022
The original mileage should be close to 200k by now. Most local mechanic don't know anything other than the engine sound.

There might even be a little retouch on the body and repaint you won't even notice.

Look at the photo of the car at time of sales Dec 6 2017, Manufacturer and imported from Japan. Sold for $5,591. Last odometer readings 168,372.

Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by sben2308(m): 7:40am On Mar 17, 2022
Victoronah1:
I'll snap engine this morning and send. Is there away I can send it over directly to you on WhatsApp for faster replies sir?

Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by talktimi(m): 7:57am On Mar 17, 2022
What you should be bothered about here is the health of the engine and transmission. I don't know how to diagnose codes but from the looks of that car, I would pick it fast. Contact Gazzuzz or any other trusted mech to interpret those codes and cost implication of repairs because cars are only going to get waaaaaaay more expensive within a month, spending a few thousands now on repairs will be a good steal
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Grupo(m): 7:58am On Mar 17, 2022
Victoronah1:

JTMZK33V485019420

Thanks

The bolded, what do you mean by that?

Shouldn't a car exhaust bringing out smoke be a red flag?

Can you describe the type of smoke? If it's steam as a result of condensation that happens early in the morning, then you are safe. But even steam will clear up after a few minutes.

You just have to be sure that engine is not consuming oil.

Also, exhaust bringing out water has nothing to do with health of engine.
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Victoronah1: 9:01am On Mar 17, 2022
talktimi:
What you should be bothered about here is the health of the engine and transmission. I don't know how to diagnose codes but from the looks of that car, I would pick it fast. Contact Gazzuzz or any other trusted mech to interpret those codes and cost implication of repairs because cars are only going to get waaaaaaay more expensive within a month, spending a few thousands now on repairs will be a good steal
thanks, i think the car is good, but of course my mum thinks naija used cars are all bad and even a car more than 100k miles is death sentence
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by 9icetoo(m): 9:16am On Mar 17, 2022
valarinz:

Can't believe the bolded part

168k miles is a lot for a 2008 model car? Are you kidding me?

And to top it all, you are still contemplating on the 2.2m price, so you really wanted to buy a car with 50k miles for 2.2m

Classic naija folks : champagne taste, zobo budget. Good luck in your quest for low mileage Toyota RAV4 with lower mileage
My brother, e shock you too abi? ���
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by talktimi(m): 9:28am On Mar 17, 2022
Victoronah1:
thanks, i think the car is good, but of course my mum thinks naija used cars are all bad and even a car more than 100k miles is death sentence
wrong assumption, if she needs a car less than 100k miles, she'll have to go after very recent models or fall into the trap of rolled back odometers. Naija used cars depends on the maintenance of the past owner, what we pray for is an owner who has good maintenance culture but even if you're buying direct toks, you'll still have to set money aside for one repair or the other. I'll advice you to get a very good mechanic with proper scan tools who will give the vehicle a proper look over again to ensure engine and transmission are in top shape and if you have to bother about the structural integrity or rust, mummy will enjoy the car at the end of the day if it passes those tests
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Victoronah1: 3:49pm On Mar 17, 2022
Thanks to everyone who contributed, unfortunately my mum didn't like the car as she claimed it's Nigerian used so it's automatically bad. Lol, that she wants American used. Hahaha I weak shaaa.
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by Ogetogeo(m): 5:25pm On Mar 17, 2022
Please can you share the dealer contact?
Re: Please Help Me Check 2008 Toyota RAV4 I Want To Buy by fineboynl(m): 5:58pm On Mar 17, 2022
Ogetogeo:
Please can you share the dealer contact?
the car is on Jiji. But in Enugu.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry Sport 2013 / Pls Help Check This VIN / Which Toyota Model Is This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.