Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,490 members, 7,816,156 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Evidence Of Ikwerre Benin Origin- Ikwerre Was A Benin Word 'ikue' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Evidence Of Ikwerre Benin Origin- Ikwerre Was A Benin Word 'ikue' (187 Views)

"You Call Yourself A Benin Man, Yet You Stand Before Our Oba Wearing A Cap" / Wike Conferred With The Title "Dike Oha" Of Ikwerre Ethnic Group / Thugs Cart Away With Boxes In Ikwerre LGA Rivers State - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Evidence Of Ikwerre Benin Origin- Ikwerre Was A Benin Word 'ikue' by MyopicMods: 8:08pm On Mar 16, 2022
Evidence of Ikwerre Benin Origin- Ikwerre was a Benin Word 'Ikue'

The name "Ikwerre" used to identify the Iwhuruohna people was a misinterpretation of the Benin word Ikue' meaning 'I agreed'. This word came into use when an Igbo translator who came with British to Port-Harcourt during when British officials were embarking on a project in Port Harcourt told the Iwhuruohna people about the British intention to embark on a project in what is now Port Harcourt and Iwhurouhna people replied 'Ikue' meaning agreed. From that day, the Igbo translator started referring to them as Ikueee/Ikwerre people and the white men copied from there.

Permit me to name just few Ekpeye-Ogba-Ikwerre Benin ancestral names

names:

1. Owonda

2. Bekweri

3. Chinda

4. Chikaire

5. Omopi

6. Omosa

7. Osaripko

8, Ogbakiri

9. Omoku

10, Nsika

..All these are Ekpeye-Ogba-Ikwerre (Benin) names.

1 Like

Re: Evidence Of Ikwerre Benin Origin- Ikwerre Was A Benin Word 'ikue' by meccuno: 8:15pm On Mar 16, 2022
[s]
MyopicMods:
Evidence of Ikwerre Benin Origin- Ikwerre was a Benin Word 'Ikue'

The name "Ikwerre" used to identify the Iwhuruohna people was a misinterpretation of the Benin word Ikue' meaning 'I agreed'. This word came into use when an Igbo translator who came with British to Port-Harcourt during when British officials were embarking on a project in Port Harcourt told the Iwhuruohna people about the British intention to embark on a project in what is now Port Harcourt and Iwhurouhna people replied 'Ikue' meaning agreed. From that day, the Igbo translator started referring to them as Ikueee/Ikwerre people and the white men copied from there.

names:

1. Owonda

2. Bekweri

3. Chinda

4. Chikaire

5. Omopi

6. Omosa

7. Osaripko

8, Ogbakiri

9. Omoku

10, Nsika

..All these are Ekpeye-Ogba-Ikwerre (Benin) names.
[/s]
Re: Evidence Of Ikwerre Benin Origin- Ikwerre Was A Benin Word 'ikue' by ThankGodFriday(m): 8:24pm On Mar 16, 2022
MyopicMods:
[s]Evidence of Ikwerre Benin Origin- Ikwerre was a Benin Word 'Ikue'

names:

1. Owonda

2. Bekweri

3. Chinda

4. Chikaire

5. Omopi

6. Omosa

7. Osaripko

8, Ogbakiri

9. Omoku

10, Nsika

..All these are Ekpeye-Ogba-Ikwerre (Benin) names.[/s]

(1) (Reply)

Former Governor Of Kano State, Kwankwaso, Finally Dumps PDP / Omisore: Appointing Prime Suspect In Ige’s Murder Apc Discredit Probe- Soyinka / I Am The Only Youth In Nigeria That Can Jail Old Corrupt Politicians.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.