Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,289 members, 7,836,276 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Why Nigerians Need To Reevaluate Value Matrix - Ekong Sampson - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Need To Reevaluate Value Matrix - Ekong Sampson (121 Views)

All Atikus And Tinubu Supporters Should Reevaluate Their Patriotism / Peter Obi Or Sampson Uchenna Charles: Who Is LP's Presidential Candidate? / Akpabio Sacks Anietie Ekong Over 'Ghana Must Go' Bag (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Nigerians Need To Reevaluate Value Matrix - Ekong Sampson by edikandavid(m): 9:08am On Mar 17, 2022
Recently, as often, a prolific writer, opinion leader and frontline aspirant for Eket Senatorial District, Rt Hon. (Barr.) Ekong Sampson, has philosophised the need for Nigerians to reevaluate the country's value matrix.

Barr. Ekong Sampson was a guest on AKBC Radio yesterday to lend his voice on a topic that needed serious public concern, "The Declining Value of Value in Akwa Ibom State". In such interesting and educating debate on "Udom's Legacies", a programme designed to examine the programmes, ideologies and projects that the Udom Emmanuel led administration in Akwa Ibom State will be remembered for after the expiration of its tenure, anchored by a broadcaster Michael Bush, Barr. Sampson said that the value matrix is an engaging metaphor that lowers the content of "our society".

According to the former two-term House of Assembly Member, the value matrix is not just restricted to Akwa Ibom State, it also challenges the sensitivities of all Nigerians.

"The value matrix is an engaging metaphor. The value matrix lowers the content of our society, and it raises basic questions as to, where we are headed. The value matrix is not only restricted to Akwa Ibom State. It's a bigger challenge. It challenges the sensitivities of all Nigerians. The questions are: where do we place our value system? How does our value matrix exist alongside the spectrum of sentiments? Between value and sentiment, which one should prevail?"

Dr Ekong Sampson linked the elements of value matrix to the present political period and the reality in the public domain. He added that beyond the excitement that flares the air, serious concerns needed to be raised about the distinction between aspirants who drive value and those that drive sentiments.

"We are living in interesting times. The drumbeats are are getting louder for politics. A number of aspirants are coming up and you can feel the excitement in the air. But beyond the excitement, we need to ask serious questions about our value matrix, because as a democracy, sometimes, I get worried. How secure is our democracy? How have we entrenched value that can drive our democracy?

The Onomkpoinam Mkpat Enin, called on the electorate to look at the content of the messages carried by different aspirants before deciding who has the requisite value to drive the democracy.

"The campaigns are now on. People are excited talking to and welcoming the aspirants. In the midst of these excitements, we also have to, as a collective, look at the content. What is the content of our emerging value system? What is the content of our message? I think we cannot isolate the message from the result. The electorates, the wider spectrum, have to ask these basic questions. This is very important, and it bothers me sometimes, because, unless we, ask these basic questions, we can be misled as a people and the masses will suffer."

Asked whether the declining value of culture has any impact on the value system in the society, Dr Sampson said "we are experiencing a drift from what used to be. Maybe it's because of the changing times that we are in. We used to have a profound value system that brought in peace. In the olden days, when the elements came together, our culture was protected. Our sensitivities were protected. Now we're having a steady deviation from what used to hold us together. Just as Chinua Achebe said that the white man has put a knife in the thing that held us together. Things fall apart. We need to look at those norms that held us together. We were so blessed when we saw culture as a bonding material. So, we need to go back to some of those cultural artifacts that were useful to our unity as a society."

Asked if it is the hardship that has taken the society away from the ball of value, Barr. Sampson said it was about the perception of Nigerians regarding why the economy is the way it is.

"I think it is how we are getting to perceive things. It is how we are getting to appreciate why we are where we are today. I am worried because the several trajectories of growth should challenge us to work hard. But we are giving so much attention to quick results. And our investment pattern is compromised. We need to invest in value, invest in substance, and we can get the results that we need."

Dr Sampson said that the value matrix has been compromised to the point that, value and content of the society do not matter to the people, adding that at meetings, these days, no one asks what the speaker is saying, rather, they are interested to know how much is given.

Barr. Sampson, once again, reiterated his political ideology that policy must be used to drive politics, but not the other way around.

He was of the opinion that the reason for the declining value of value is a two way thing, adding that the leaders should be blamed at one point, and, at the other point, the led should be blamed.

"I think it's a two way traffic. First, we, the leaders, have to manage our inclination, our made-belief. We always play to the gallery to impress the people. We know that our supporters may not be as alert as we are. We know what we're doing. We know that what we are really saying may not bring a long term result. But we say it to impress the people. We need to cultivate the right attitude. And we need to look at the parameters that will produce long term effects. The governed, on the other hand, need to ask basic questions that will give answers to the challenges faced in the society. Without value and content, we stand on fault earth.

"I had a discussion yesterday, with someone about Pst. Umo Eno. I told him to look at the content of the man's brain, not the colour of his skin, or his height. It reminded me about a poem I wrote sometime ago 'Vote for Me'. It was a satire, where I raised some basic questions. Don't vote for me because of my dance steps on the podium, which is sentiment. Vote for me because of the content of my brain. Don't vote for me because my grandmother and your grandfather worked together in the customs, or they used to sell fish together at Ibaka. Don't vote for me because my father and your mother were classmates in 1946. That's sentiment. Vote for me because of the content of my brain, because of the ideas that I have and because of my past records. And that calls for the issue of value.

In furtherance of the debate, Dr Sampson described zoning as an instrument that guarantees access to opportunities which should be encouraged.

He also reiterated his commitment to building bridges in Eket Senatorial District to marry the diversity of the area once voted into office as a senator.

He added that he was encouraged by the reception and acceptance his senatorial ambition has received since he started the consultations.

Scoring Gov. Udom Emmanuel on his legacies, Sampson lauded the governor for his Industrialization drive and numerous economic based project, adding that the governor's approach to time was one most important legacy and example he will leave behind.

(1) (Reply)

APM Urges Public To Disregard Rumor Of Selling Party / APC Crisis: Bello’s CECPC Insists On Akpanudoedehe’s Sack, Disclaims Buni’s Comm / Buhari, Osinbajo And The Bigotry Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.