Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,545 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

First State Nysc Website Launched! - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / First State Nysc Website Launched! (1370 Views)

B15 Corps Members Verify Your Details On Nysc Website + Treatment of Complaints / Protest At Rivers State NYSC Orientation Camp Over Delayed Allowance / Lagos State NYSC Batch B 2014 (Stream I&II) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First State Nysc Website Launched! by biggjoe(m): 4:19am On Aug 04, 2007
check it out:

www.nasarawanysc.com

As it stands, it is the first state NYSC website in the country.
Im still gathering information from state NYSC officials and I will soon fill all the empty pages.
If you have your cricticisms, make them very objective. Its my first site and besides, the pages are still under construction.
Its my personal CDS project.
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by my2cents(m): 5:21am On Aug 04, 2007
1) There is a horizontal scroll in both IE and FF - consider reducing the width of your container table/div

2) Why is the left nav flashing? Not good

3) Do white pple attend NYSC (I saw a couple in your header)?

4) Move your CSS and JS code into external files.

I hope these help
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by Cactus(m): 2:40pm On Aug 04, 2007
I almost had a heart attack. This is absolutely horrible. flashing menu, poor user interface, horrible color scheme, borders, different heights for title bars include some padding, menu inconsistency

wtf look at your stylesheet you have id names from layer1 to layer35 or so. why not give real reasonable names. This is extremely horrible. phew
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by my2cents(m): 4:53pm On Aug 04, 2007
In addition, I wd like to add that if this is truly the first state nysc site online, then biggjoe, u might want to put in some more time in the event that ur site is used as the foundation upon which other state nysc sites r built.

Thanks,
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by Afam(m): 6:33pm On Aug 04, 2007
Considering the fact that this is his first website and he did not state that he is a professional comments should be as mild as possible. After all he came here to ask for criticisms that will help him.

My advice, look at websites you really like and see if you can make this website look like them. Start from there first and by the time you make progress a lot of things will begin to fall into place.
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by abhosts(m): 9:20pm On Aug 04, 2007
The intentions of this website raises some questions. Biggjoe stated that he built this website as his CDS (Community Development Service) Project. CDS as I know it, does not involve building a website for an organization that can easily afford it. Be that as it may, did the state chapter of NYSC consent to such a project considering the fact that it will be a mere duplication of the national website that has been functioning for some years now.

Bearing in mind the escalating trend of online scams we are experiencing in Nigeria, having such a project in the hands of an unauthorized individual might not be such a good idea. If this guy wanted to build a website that will serve the purpose of serving and intending corpers, why did he not name it nysctips.com or something? I hope that this website will not serve any malevolent purpose.
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by my2cents(m): 10:53pm On Aug 04, 2007
abhosts,

I did some googling but cdnt find the national NYSC site (I guess someone forgot to make it SEO-compliant wink). Do you happen to have that URL? I would like to look at it.

Thanks,
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by xanadu: 12:57am On Aug 05, 2007
Forums are one of the most effective ways of sharing information, learning and airing opinions on the web today - and rightly so too. I'm sure not a few of us have learned a lot from forums all over the web, Nairaland inclusive. One of the attractions of the Internet is the freedom to air our opinions. The question, as always with things liberty-related, is: how far can we go in the exercise of our right to air our opinion? Sometimes we get some very interesting and thought-provoking questions and answers on Forums. I find some entries in this thread particularly interesting. Take a look the following quote carefully:
check it out:

www.nasarawanysc.com

As it stands, it is the first state NYSC website in the country.
I'm still gathering information from state NYSC officials and I will soon fill all the empty pages.
If you have your cricticisms, make them very objective. Its my first site and besides, the pages are still under construction.
Its my personal CDS project.

Right. Simple (and I daresay, humble) request for 'objective' (doesn't the word 'constructive' come to mind?) criticism of a website's design. Then this reply comes:

1) There is a horizontal scroll in both IE and FF - consider reducing the width of your container table/div

2) Why is the left nav flashing? Not good

3) Do white people attend NYSC (I saw a couple in your header)?

4) Move your CSS and JS code into external files.

I hope these help

Ok. Now, compare the reply above to this one:
I almost had a heart attack. This is absolutely horrible. flashing menu, poor user interface, horrible color scheme, borders, different heights for title bars include some padding, menu inconsistency

wtf look at your stylesheet you have id names from layer1 to layer35 or so. why not give real reasonable names. This is extremely horrible. phew

Something to think about, eh?
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by Cactus(m): 2:49am On Aug 05, 2007
your interpretation of the word CONSTRUCTIVE or CRITICISM may be different from mine. As someone said we should give mild suggestions. well how is mild going to help. It is better to put everything down so you know what you have to deal with and you know what corrections and changes you have to make.

If you cannot handle the opinions of people what they suggest or comment about. well you can as well keep things closed. Whatever people write, either extremely great or extremely bad. everything is good depending on how you accept and what you do to make things better. Hopefully next time a link is submitted, the person involved will already have ideas as what not to do so as not to be given bad comments if you think of it that way.
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by opensource(m): 1:16pm On Aug 05, 2007
the site isn't nice at all man in as much as i will congratulate you for such good initiative and work i must put some things down for you to improve on so as to get a good stance in marketing that stuff

First i must say the site takes time to load , why probably because the flash files are heavy

The Menu on the left side is blinking light blue and black really horrible for a color combination beside its better of if its static because this aint and animation site or something like taht

Your images are nothin to write home about , the all are stress and thereby becoming blur and coas to the eyes

Your Menu bar sucks because when i do a Mouse Over event then corresponding Menu doesn't even cover the whole button rather it stays at the left side of teh button that isnt good at all.

I will advice you to study more on css that would do lots of work to your tables formating , dont use pixel try use % and use javescirpt to check browser and format the page , its sucks on diff browsers

the naming paramenters are bad , why use a .asp extension for information pages that has nothin to do with server side

I think I should stop here or you might kill me

but my friend and fellow webmaster / programnmer lets do some more home work

beside ooooooooooooooooo

many nigerians have slow or average internet speed

so consider providing a fast website withj little or no flash
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by my2cents(m): 5:56pm On Aug 05, 2007
opensource,

if only biggjoe coded to web standards, there would be no need to use javascript to do browser-sniffing. The whole point of introducing web standards is to prevent us from doing that.

I remember back in the day when I had to sniff for netscape 4 (including .1, .2, etc). As if that wasn't bad enough, I would have to sniff for netscape on a mac and netscape on a pc. To this day, I go into cardiac arrest when I think of the number of CSS files I had to maintain shocked shocked shocked That is how web standards was born.

In conclusion, there is no reason (except for that one weird time when you are having problems with things looking 100% b/w browsers) to code for more than one browser.
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by opensource(m): 11:27pm On Aug 06, 2007
@my2cent there you are getting it wrong all i said could have been deduced to one word which is " DHTML " I am sure you know what that means.

you dont have to do all those stuff from browser to browser thats old way of coding.
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by my2cents(m): 11:42pm On Aug 06, 2007
opensource,

not to deviate from the original topic but you have left me utterly confused cool

No need to explain yourself. I would rather remain confused. Let's stick to the topic. If need be, we can introduce another one for our purposes.

Thanks,
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by RuuDie(m): 9:55am On Aug 07, 2007
well bigjoe. . . great idea u've come up with; i did something similar 4 my local community while i was serving, can't say twas' particularly touche' like that but have a look at it and lemme' know what u think and if it helps u in anyway. . . a lot has changed since the service days and we're tryna' update stuffs, so 4 now there's only the index page!

hadejiakopa.8m.net
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by Cactus(m): 3:27pm On Aug 07, 2007
do the people in the picture actually look like that in real life or it is just my eyes deceiving me eh ehe he.
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by webmaster3: 3:29pm On Aug 07, 2007
Whats is the Meaning of using white folks pictures. Do they Attend NYSC and i really dont know the idea of using flashing menus(terrible). The website is quite poor and i feel you should dedicate more time and resources into it since its gonna be the first state NYSC website. Think about that and lay a foundation for others.
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by tundewoods(m): 5:24pm On Aug 07, 2007
First of all let me correct the impression that what you have created is the first state nysc website in Nigeria.That is totally untrue.I presume that you are oblivious of the fact that there have been similar personal initiative projects in the past.Lagos corpers had a similar thing way back 2000 when the web was more or less still like a myth in Nigeria.

I even personally built one over 6 years ago when i served in Ekiti as a CD project.It was more of a portal that enabled my fellow IT driven corpers to post their profiles it also had a photogallery & forum.

Yes i must confess that i dont i don't feel your design at all as well content layout but i will tell you a secret.

Try to keep it simple,improve on the visual design and enure that your content is database driven.Dont expect to get any recognition for this or financial returns.(Honestly im telling you from experience)

You may not value this website now until when all you folks serving together will part after your passing out parade.Using the project as reunion thing will be a better direction to chart hereby encouraging your collegues to register for free leaving their contact details.

But please go back to your drawing board and probably take after the visual layout of http://classmates.com
Re: First State Nysc Website Launched! by ants(m): 5:43pm On Aug 08, 2007
@ tundewoods, i somehow saw the url of a website built for NYSC Ekiti wen i was serving last year but up till today i couldn't get to view the site or portal, is it dat i got the wrong url or the portal was not uploaded or the domain (or whatever has expired), ? dats just by-the-way

with regards to the site, let me say good job (just to encourage u ssah) but look into the following
1. the colour combination and graphics generally is bad (why don't u involve someone who's good in graphics to help u)
2. pls place ur javascripts and stylesheets in another file so that when someone goes to view source all he sees in pure html, but u can leave it if it would cause too much headache
3. there's too much information on the homepage (too much text, too much colour, too much pictures)
4. make the layout a perfect rectangle, if u understand what i mean, don't make some part of the layout stick out
5. flashing menu or side-links, no way, work on it pls, remember this is a corporate website not an entertainment website
5 ,

in fact, just pull it down and go back to redesigning the layout for the site, get someone who can use firework or photoshop to do a layout for u then follow it to develop/design ur site, dats if u understand me

just go through wat others have said and i believe u'll get a good site. ciao

(1) (Reply)

(3) NYSC Corps Killed In Choba Rumuochakara Busstop @ About 8.30pm On Thursday. / The Perfect Escape- A Post NYSC Experience / Holding An Office During Camp Wat Are the Criteria ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.