Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Who Owns Lagos? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Who Owns Lagos? (2348 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? / Why Do Some Set Of Persons Think They Owns Mr & Mrs Nairaland Contest / Who Owns Ebeano Supermarket In Lekki Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Owns Lagos? by maasoap(m): 10:58pm On Jul 01, 2011
Lagos State is located in South-West region of Nigeria. This region is dominated predominantly by Yorubas but sometime you would hear some Nairalanders (most especially NLers from the South-South) saying that they wouldn't allow Yorubas to claim Lagos just the same way Hausas are laying claim to Abuja. Then I remember this popular saying: Lagos is no man's land. Who owns Lagos?
Re: Who Owns Lagos? by HighChief4(m): 11:05pm On Jul 01, 2011
Its no man's land
Re: Who Owns Lagos? by maasoap(m): 11:14pm On Jul 01, 2011
I'm just curious to know because I'm from the region and we're used to believing that is part of Yoruba land.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? by obowunmi(m): 11:52pm On Jul 01, 2011
Why does everything need to be tribalistic ? I tire for una oo
Re: Who Owns Lagos? by maasoap(m): 3:07pm On Jul 02, 2011
Sorry Sir, you got it wrong. It's not about tribalism but it is about examining distortion of facts and attempt to re-write history. Just tell us how it is or simply how you believe it is.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? by obowunmi(m): 3:14pm On Jul 02, 2011
Ok: I'd say the yoruba do but now, Las-gidi is one hell of a melting pot. Probably foreigners own lagos than Nigerians do. Chinese and whites.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? by luvinhubby(m): 5:13pm On Jul 02, 2011
Aworis are the original, riverine-dwellers, owners of Lagos. Portuguese exposed it, Ijebus, egbas & Oyos are "Omo-odos"
Re: Who Owns Lagos? by luvinhubby(m): 5:19pm On Jul 02, 2011
The yoruba`s took over when the oyibos left, hence names like Jones, Glover are common in lagos.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? by step1: 9:10pm On Jul 02, 2011
Nigerians own Lagos but the original occupants are the Awori and I am fortunate to be a Lagosian Awori myself. We Awori are a sub-group of yoruba and are coastal people. dwelling in Lagos and part of Ogun state.

The south-south people that you are talking about do not know there history and are just trying to pull your legs. Lagos is surrounded by ogun and ondo state before getting to any South-south state so why can't they claim Ogun and Ondo.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jul 03, 2011
The statement "Lagos is no man's land" is mostly used by thoughtless and ignorant personalities who aren't contended with their heritages, and are consequently pleased with being exiled as a 'born throw away' in another mans land. We refer 2 such ignoramus as 'Oloju kokoro'.
I can't just imagine the meaning of that phrase which I mostly hear from the mouth of the Easterners. Only persons with the highest degree of insensitivity will refer to a place like Lagos with such an ultimate degradation.
This reveals that many Nigerians don't read. At least any reasonable person would have read the colonial history in Nigeria, and must have seen that they actually met some people in the province, and not an empty land. I've got no time for history.
This made me recall what a Learned European once said: "If you intend to hide a thing from a black man, hide it inside a BOOK. He will never see it". I now see a candid reason why Lagos now adopts a strict measure in admitting people into their University and Civil service. I for a time criticised the logic in segregating between a Lagosian and an non-Lagosian, especially in cases of admission into Lasu and Alausa. I now see that, that is the best measure to command respect for Lagosians by making the mumus realize that Lagos is some peoples land.
The major catalyst behind this apprehension is that Lagos as a commercial capital city inhabits everybody, regardless of where you are from. And that Lagosians doesn't have that bad culture of discriminating against others.
Why not say Abuja or Port Harcourt is no man's land and you face a befitting consequence.
NB: Please, this reply is not directed to non-Lagosians who are resides in Lagos with utmost good faith.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? by step1: 10:40pm On Jul 03, 2011
Law prince:

The statement "Lagos is no man's land" is mostly used by thoughtless and ignorant personalities who aren't contended with their heritages, and are consequently pleased with being exiled as a 'born throw away' in another mans land. We refer 2 such ignoramus as 'Oloju kokoro'.
I can't just imagine the meaning of that phrase which I mostly hear from the mouth of the Easterners. Only persons with the highest degree of insensitivity will refer to a place like Lagos with such an ultimate degradation.
This reveals that many Nigerians don't read. At least any reasonable person would have read the colonial history in Nigeria, and must have seen that they actually met some people in the province, and not an empty land. I've got no time for history.
This made me recall what a Learned European once said: "If you intend to hide a thing from a black man, hide it inside a BOOK. He will never see it". I now see a candid reason why Lagos now adopts a strict measure in admitting people into their University and Civil service. I for a time criticised the logic in segregating between a Lagosian and an non-Lagosian, especially in cases of admission into Lasu and Alausa. I now see that, that is the best measure to command respect for Lagosians by making the mumus realize that Lagos is some peoples land.
The major catalyst behind this apprehension is that Lagos as a commercial capital city inhabits everybody, regardless of where you are from. And that Lagosians doesn't have that bad culture of discriminating against others.
Why not say Abuja or Port Harcourt is no man's land and you face a befitting consequence.
NB: Please, this reply is not directed to non-Lagosians who are resides in Lagos with utmost good faith.

Very well said. In fact God bless you for you statement. It is very thought provoking to our ancestry land called a no-man's-land. I think the government most especially the Lagos state government need to do something about this event taking place in Lagos.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? by Chosen4ever: 2:38am On Oct 19, 2013
[size=14pt]The great miracle crusade(ONLY GOD CAN DO THIS) holds this weekend, 19th & 20th October 2013, at the Lord's Chosen International HQ church, Ijesha (Ijesha B/stop) tHE G.O. will be ministering in the power of the Holy Ghost. Be there!!
[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9o3E2-V04U

The two-day great international miracle crusade starts today - 8.00am daily

(1) (Reply)

The Romance Section Is So Boring Now / Card Fraudsters Find Big Hole In Cashless policy / Police Man Died An Hour Ago In Onitsha Nkpor Accident (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.