Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,528 members, 7,812,643 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:47 PM

Is The Debating Culture Dead In Nigerian Schools? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is The Debating Culture Dead In Nigerian Schools? (228 Views)

Entire Family Members Dead In Abia (Photo) / 3 Sisters Went Missing, Found Dead In Neighbor's Pond In U.S.(Pics) / How Much Is The Cost Of A DNA Paternity Test In Nigerian Hospitals? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Debating Culture Dead In Nigerian Schools? by tolajay: 12:41pm On Mar 24, 2022
Growing up, participating and attending debates were a norm, right from the primary school.

I recall the day I blanked out at the Local Government Secretariat with the LG Chairman in attendance. I goofed big time, but I'm better off today. grin grin (You sef share your experiences below).

From the nomination process to the preparation, preliminary rounds, local governments rounds and state levels, school debates were always moments to expect and explore.

However, over the past 20 years, I haven't noticed much of such socio-academic activity. I had concluded that the debate culture in primary and secondary schools (perhaps nationally) had died in the country.

But guess what! This month - March 2022 - has been intriguing with a good line-up of student debates. Thanks to Nigeria Info Lagos, Paystack, Printivo, RLG, Obywezy and other partners I can't remember. shocked NB: This is NOT a promotional piece. I don't know any of the organisers nor partners. But I think it's noteworthy to mention them, cos without their support the show would not be aired.

I have been wowed by the display of intellectual sagacity and eloquence by a crop of Secondary School students in Lagos who have been participating in the 'I Beg To Differ' debate challenge on Nigerian Info, Lagos.

Some have been exceptionally starling, while others tried to get along. In all, I am wowed by their foundation and what they can individually achieve in life given their mental state.

Do you think the culture of debate is dying or already dead in Nigeria?

What can be done to resuscitate this important culture for social development?

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Dominique
OAM4J
Fynestboi
Richiez
olawalebabs

1 Like

Re: Is The Debating Culture Dead In Nigerian Schools? by jimmyolasun: 2:09pm On Mar 24, 2022
Who get time.. Marlians no dey debate.

Re: Is The Debating Culture Dead In Nigerian Schools? by Hamachi(f): 2:59pm On Mar 24, 2022
Yes
Re: Is The Debating Culture Dead In Nigerian Schools? by LordIsaac(m): 7:21pm On Mar 24, 2022
They trust expo more than any intellectual challenge you may place before them. Honestly, I won't blame them. Our rulers set the pace, they merely follow.

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo Volvo Truck 2005 For Sale / . / How many schools will Lagos state etc shut down? The children are not to blame!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.