Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,954 members, 7,814,238 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

"It Will Hunt Me For The Rest Of My Life": Chelsea Midfielder Jorginho Admits - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "It Will Hunt Me For The Rest Of My Life": Chelsea Midfielder Jorginho Admits (396 Views)

Chelsea Italian Midfielder Jorginho Shows No Sign Of Slowing Down / Real Madrid Unveils Alaba With his Nigerian Father And The Rest Of His Family / Chelsea Sign Jorginho On A Five-year Deal From Napoli (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"It Will Hunt Me For The Rest Of My Life": Chelsea Midfielder Jorginho Admits by Sportcruz(m): 9:55pm On Mar 25, 2022
Tearful Chelsea midfielder Jorginho admits he'll be "haunted for life" by penalty misses after Italy exit.

Italy failed to qualify for the 2022 World Cup after a shock defeat to North Macedonia and Chelsea midfielder Jorginho feels responsible for missing from the spot earlier in the qualifying campaign.

The European champions were expected to brush aside North Macedonia in their play-off semi-final encounter, but were instead on the receiving end of a shock 1-0 defeat in Palmero.

Aleksandar Trajkovski – who ironically used to play for Palermo – scored the all-important goal in the 92nd-minute of play and it was a worldie from the winger, who plays for Saudi Arabian side Al-Fayha.

It’s because of the fact that Jorginho missed a penalty in both of Italy’s draws against Switzerland in the group stage.

Had the former Napoli man found the back of the net either home or away, Roberto Mancini’s side would have taken top spot.

Click here to watch the penalty https://sportcruz.com/football/it-will-hunt-me-for-the-rest-of-my-life-tearful-chelsea-midfielder-jorginho-admits-after-causing-italy-painful-exit/

That miss prevented Italy from qualifying for the World Cup automatically on the night and the team were then held to a 0-0 draw by Northern Ireland in their final match, which sealed their play-off fate.

After the defeat to North Macedonia, Jorginho admitted that his penalty miss from 12 yards against Switzerland will “haunt me for the rest of my life”.

It is difficult to explain what happened,” Jorginho told RAI Sport while visibly emotional, per Football Italia.

“It hurts so much. I’ll be honest, I am still incredulous. I don’t think we lacked creativity, as we always dominated matches and created so many chances. Unfortunately, we were unable to finish them off.

When asked about the aforementioned errors against the Swiss, Jorginho replied: “It hurts when I think about it, because I do still think about it and it will haunt me for the rest of my life. Stepping up there twice and not being able to help your team and your country is something that I will carry with me forever, and it weighs on me
People say we need to lift our heads and carry on, but it’s tough.”

Football can be a cruel, cruel game at times.

It is the second consecutive World Cup finals the Azzurri will miss, the first time in their history that has occurred.

Re: "It Will Hunt Me For The Rest Of My Life": Chelsea Midfielder Jorginho Admits by dawnomike(m): 10:08pm On Mar 25, 2022
It happened even to the greatest players...so, get consoled and move on back to chelsea
Re: "It Will Hunt Me For The Rest Of My Life": Chelsea Midfielder Jorginho Admits by Sportcruz(m): 4:16am On Mar 26, 2022
dawnomike:
It happened even to the greatest players...so, get consoled and move on back to chelsea
Yeah, like he said 'it's hard to move on' Every football dreams is able to help their country

(1) (Reply)

Ref Who Screwed Chelsea Against Barca In 2009 Admits He Should've Given A PK / Funniest Goal Celebration In History / Lionel Messi To Feature In Famous TV Drama Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.