Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Our Tenants Have Refused To Open The Gate Of Our Apartment Yet Causing Trouble - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Our Tenants Have Refused To Open The Gate Of Our Apartment Yet Causing Trouble (414 Views)

86 Rooms Where Tenants Paid ₦250,000 A Year Found Under Dolphin Estate Bridge / Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Tenants Have Refused To Open The Gate Of Our Apartment Yet Causing Trouble by ModelLook(m): 10:45am On Mar 27, 2022
Hello Landlords....

Please how do you handle your difficult Tenants?

Let me tell you the story. Some months ago, My Tenants went to report us to Mediation Centre at Local Govt after we returned half of the rent they paid. What happened?

They lived in our Apartment for two years. They live in a Mini Flat. A Big Room And Big Parlour, Two Toilet, Two Bathrooms and a Kitchen with rent of N170,000 per year somewhere at Ipaja-Ayobo.

My dad was building the house and built those rooms for himself as his personal room but he died in 2006 so when my mum got some money, an Engineer convinced her to convert those rooms and put out for rent to get money while we manage the remaining which she agreed. She finished the house and decided to convert those rooms to Mini flat and rent out.

My mum put the rent at 170K as we speak despite people telling us it's too small that it should be around 200K to 250K but because my mum is a working-class woman and doesn't solely depend on the proceeds of the Apartment like that so she just decided to leave it at that as her contribution to help society

We live in the same compound but our apartments are different but we are both under the same roof in the bungalow.

Their rent expired and they refused to pay last year June.

When his rent expired, my mum sent him a text message reminder that his rent has expired.

The next thing the tenant did was to send my mum a text message saying he will NOT be paying the rent until after two months.

My mum showed me the text message. I felt that was not right atall. Yes people owe rent but there is a way they go about it and it's not by sending just a text message to the owner of the house.

Before then, he came to us and said he can't be paying for light becos we share prepaid meter and we pump water with light. The government brought the prepaid meter while he was there so he saw it but before then, we used to pay post paid NEPA Bill and that was expensive. The prepaid meter was a huge relief to us.

He said we should connect his apartment line directly back to the NEPA Pole which we didn't agree becos NEPA has prepaid metered our house.

We told him we have applied for a second prepaid for his Apartment and even paid 10K as settlement to the officials just to get it but we are still waiting for it to come.

Ever since then, he stopped bringing his own money for Prepaid recharging. When we noticed we called electrician to cut his apartment off becos we can't be paying for light and water for a family of 5 (husband, wife and three children).

Now two things, he said he is not paying for rent and he would not be paying for Prepaid aswell. He wants NEPA from pole and wants to be collecting huge bill.

At that time, I began to feel that maybe he wants to move out and he is just trying to buy enough time to carry out his plans.

So he stayed for two months in our apartment without paying anything. No word from him. No physical explanation on why he is choosing to owe rent just that text message he sent yet he goes in and out of the house seeing us daily. We also choose not to go to his Apartment to start asking for rent. We were just watching him despite the fact that we needed the money at that time to do some projects but we endured and found an alternative.

After two months, one Sunday evening like that, my mum got alert of 170K. Immediately my mum returned back half of the rent and told him to start looking for a place to live.

The next day, this man ran to Mediation Centre to report us that we returned half of his rent. The Lawyers sent for my mum. My mum was shocked to get a letter from them.

When she got there, After the Lawyers heard my mum side of the story, they were on my mum's side completely. They backed her up and told her to request for what she wants immediately so they can carry it out.

She told them she wants the Tenant to leave the apartment peacefully.

The Lawyers told the Tenants to leave the Apartment and gave them a compulsory date. God was on our side. God backed us up.

The Lawyers also scolded him for telling my mum to give him light separately from NEPA Pole after we have been given Prepaid Meter from the Government especially now the Postpaid NEPA Bill is so much and keeps increasing day by day.

After the whole Mediation things, I'm sure they were disappointed that they lost.

Fast Forward to this Sunday morning, they came to tell us they are leaving and we should open the Main gate for them. My mum asked them to return the Keys to the Apartment locks which they refused.

My mum sent them a message to repair all they damaged in the house weeks back becos we got information that they damaged their toilet after a plumber came to work in the compound. They refused to give a peaceful answer and started raising their voices this early morning. My mum was also angry too.

The husband and wife teamed up to start causing trouble with my mum this morning. The wife even called my mum a witch.

Now they have parked out, they did not even give us the keys to the Apartment locks and did not return the Main gate small entrance keys to us but just left it on the mouth of the gate and went their way.

Is this how some people live in people's houses?
Is this how some people treat landlords and landlady's that give them their own apartments to live in?
This is how people carry problems to houses they are moving into.

I'm happy they have gone and I give all glory to God almighty.

But now, We would have to start spending money to call Welder to break the Apartment locks of the back entrance gate just for us to enter the house through the back. I have not entered the Apartment to see if they repaired their damages.

P.S: The agent that brought them told us NOT to collect Damages from them so we did not. He said that if we collect damages, most tenants will use the opportunity to purposely spoil and damage things in your Apartment and later say "After all we paid for Damages".

Right now, We are just tired but I know that their Karma is waiting for them anywhere they go to.

My question now is

Landlords in the house, how do you manage your Tenants living in the same house with you?

Right now, we plan on not putting the Apartment for rent at least for now.

This is becos I don't have the energy to be talking to tenants. My mum doesn't have the energy aswell. We don't have the energy for drama. We just want peace but some tenants are just problematic and are just ready for trouble everytime.

Admin please move to Frontpage.
Re: Our Tenants Have Refused To Open The Gate Of Our Apartment Yet Causing Trouble by Xscape1993(m): 10:53am On Mar 27, 2022
So pathetic dear. Some human beings are not normal human beings my dear. Just leave them to God and natural law. Don't let this wrong act distract you from attending to good tenants.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenants Have Refused To Open The Gate Of Our Apartment Yet Causing Trouble by dollynnn(f): 11:46am On Mar 27, 2022
Some tenants in Nigeria are nothing but headaches!
Dear Op, thank God they have finally packed out. Going after them to make them pay for the damage done to the house isn't worth it.
Your mum just has to "shine" her eyes and scrutinize the next tenant that will show interest in the house. Your mom should state out her terms and conditions clearly and the next tenant should pay for damages before such tenant packs in.
Re: Our Tenants Have Refused To Open The Gate Of Our Apartment Yet Causing Trouble by habsydiamond(m): 12:09pm On Mar 27, 2022
Op.. U guys are lucky.. At least he paid in two months.. Have u ever seen tenants that will be living for years without pay. Some will even tell u, that u can't do anything. When it comes to tenants it's by grades oo some are craxy, some are crazier while some are the craziest. Na level. Just look for better people give una house.. Try doing background check to be on the safer side
Re: Our Tenants Have Refused To Open The Gate Of Our Apartment Yet Causing Trouble by pasuma(m): 1:12pm On Mar 27, 2022
my advise, do not open it yourself, go back to mediation office and get them to open it, it will cost you less. cos if the tenant wants to come up with claims on some items he left behind you have the govt backing

ModelLook:
Hello Landlords....

Please how do you handle your difficult Tenants?

Let me tell you the story. Some months ago, My Tenants went to report us to Mediation Centre at Local Govt after we returned half of the rent they paid. What happened?

They lived in our Apartment for two years. They live in a Mini Flat. A Big Room And Big Parlour, Two Toilet, Two Bathrooms and a Kitchen with rent of N170,000 per year somewhere at Ipaja-Ayobo.

My dad was building the house and built those rooms for himself as his personal room but he died in 2006 so when my mum got some money, an Engineer convinced her to convert those rooms and put out for rent to get money while we manage the remaining which she agreed. She finished the house and decided to convert those rooms to Mini flat and rent out.

My mum put the rent at 170K as we speak despite people telling us it's too small that it should be around 200K to 250K but because my mum is a working-class woman and doesn't solely depend on the proceeds of the Apartment like that so she just decided to leave it at that as her contribution to help society

We live in the same compound but our apartments are different but we are both under the same roof in the bungalow.

Their rent expired and they refused to pay last year June.

When his rent expired, my mum sent him a text message reminder that his rent has expired.

The next thing the tenant did was to send my mum a text message saying he will NOT be paying the rent until after two months.

My mum showed me the text message. I felt that was not right atall. Yes people owe rent but there is a way they go about it and it's not by sending just a text message to the owner of the house.

Before then, he came to us and said he can't be paying for light becos we share prepaid meter and we pump water with light. The government brought the prepaid meter while he was there so he saw it but before then, we used to pay post paid NEPA Bill and that was expensive. The prepaid meter was a huge relief to us.

He said we should connect his apartment line directly back to the NEPA Pole which we didn't agree becos NEPA has prepaid metered our house.

We told him we have applied for a second prepaid for his Apartment and even paid 10K as settlement to the officials just to get it but we are still waiting for it to come.

Ever since then, he stopped bringing his own money for Prepaid recharging. When we noticed we called electrician to cut his apartment off becos we can't be paying for light and water for a family of 5 (husband, wife and three children).

Now two things, he said he is not paying for rent and he would not be paying for Prepaid aswell. He wants NEPA from pole and wants to be collecting huge bill.

At that time, I began to feel that maybe he wants to move out and he is just trying to buy enough time to carry out his plans.

So he stayed for two months in our apartment without paying anything. No word from him. No physical explanation on why he is choosing to owe rent just that text message he sent yet he goes in and out of the house seeing us daily. We also choose not to go to his Apartment to start asking for rent. We were just watching him despite the fact that we needed the money at that time to do some projects but we endured and found an alternative.

After two months, one Sunday evening like that, my mum got alert of 170K. Immediately my mum returned back half of the rent and told him to start looking for a place to live.

The next day, this man ran to Mediation Centre to report us that we returned half of his rent. The Lawyers sent for my mum. My mum was shocked to get a letter from them.

When she got there, After the Lawyers heard my mum side of the story, they were on my mum's side completely. They backed her up and told her to request for what she wants immediately so they can carry it out.

She told them she wants the Tenant to leave the apartment peacefully.

The Lawyers told the Tenants to leave the Apartment and gave them a compulsory date. God was on our side. God backed us up.

The Lawyers also scolded him for telling my mum to give him light separately from NEPA Pole after we have been given Prepaid Meter from the Government especially now the Postpaid NEPA Bill is so much and keeps increasing day by day.

After the whole Mediation things, I'm sure they were disappointed that they lost.

Fast Forward to this Sunday morning, they came to tell us they are leaving and we should open the Main gate for them. My mum asked them to return the Keys to the Apartment locks which they refused.

My mum sent them a message to repair all they damaged in the house weeks back becos we got information that they damaged their toilet after a plumber came to work in the compound. They refused to give a peaceful answer and started raising their voices this early morning. My mum was also angry too.

The husband and wife teamed up to start causing trouble with my mum this morning. The wife even called my mum a witch.

Now they have parked out, they did not even give us the keys to the Apartment locks and did not return the Main gate small entrance keys to us but just left it on the mouth of the gate and went their way.

Is this how some people live in people's houses?
Is this how some people treat landlords and landlady's that give them their own apartments to live in?
This is how people carry problems to houses they are moving into.

I'm happy they have gone and I give all glory to God almighty.

But now, We would have to start spending money to call Welder to break the Apartment locks of the back entrance gate just for us to enter the house through the back. I have not entered the Apartment to see if they repaired their damages.

P.S: The agent that brought them told us NOT to collect Damages from them so we did not. He said that if we collect damages, most tenants will use the opportunity to purposely spoil and damage things in your Apartment and later say "After all we paid for Damages".

Right now, We are just tired but I know that their Karma is waiting for them anywhere they go to.

My question now is

Landlords in the house, how do you manage your Tenants living in the same house with you?

Right now, we plan on not putting the Apartment for rent at least for now.

This is becos I don't have the energy to be talking to tenants. My mum doesn't have the energy aswell. We don't have the energy for drama. We just want peace but some tenants are just problematic and are just ready for trouble everytime.

Admin please move to Frontpage.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Architect Needed / Buy 1 Plot And Get 1 For Free. Pls Call Eunice Ekaette / Oniru Renovation And Construction Diary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.