Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,084 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Do You Believe In God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Believe In God (850 Views)

Poll: Do you believe there is God

Yes: 60% (3 votes)
No: 40% (2 votes)
I don't know: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / I Do Not Believe in God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe In God by apoti(m): 5:39pm On Jul 03, 2011
I'm not trying to sound weird, but truly this is one of the most controversial religious debates in the UK.

I coincidentally engaged in a hot debate on this topic with some guys today, and I was amazed at the various points raised during they raised.  That's why I'm raising it here, do you believe there is God? Whether you believe Him or not, please give reasons for your answers.
Re: Do You Believe In God by manmustwac(m): 6:00pm On Jul 03, 2011
Absolutely no way do i believe in (any) God. People say that God is real. I tell them and so is the sun but then no matter Where you are on this planet you can see the sun but then you can't say the samé about God
Re: Do You Believe In God by apoti(m): 6:43pm On Jul 03, 2011
manmustwac:

Absolutely no way do i believe in (any) God. People say that God is real. I tell them and so is the sun but then no matter Where you are on this planet you can see the sun but then you can't say the samé about God

Good point manmustwac, but have you ever considered how the sun came to be? not only the sun, the moon, the stars, the earth other planets and the universe as a whole. There has been no reasonable theory that explains their existence. Only the simple statement "God created them" made sense to me
Re: Do You Believe In God by manmustwac(m): 7:02pm On Jul 03, 2011
And evolution and the big bang theory makes a lot moře sense to me because it explains the existance of dinosaurs which is nót mentioned in the bible
Re: Do You Believe In God by apoti(m): 7:22pm On Jul 03, 2011
manmustwac:

And evolution and the big slam theory makes a lot moře sense to me because it explains the existance of dinosaurs which is nót mentioned in the bible

The evolution theory makes no sense at all, because if it is true the trend should continue, Man since his existence should have transformed into another creature, I've also not seen another creature evolving from goats or dogs. The big bang theory is even worse, telling me everything that exists today occurred by accident undecided

One of the main postulates in science is repeatability, if all these theories are not repeatable, then they are not true IMO
Re: Do You Believe In God by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 03, 2011
IMO God said let there b light and then there was a "big bang"
When it comes to dinosaurs, well all I can say is the bible didn't mention elephants or kagaroos either.
There is a God, thre is a heaven and hell. Just cos one denies it doesn't change the fact they are real.
Re: Do You Believe In God by Nobody: 5:40am On Jul 04, 2011
parisienne:

IMO God said let there b light and then there was a "big slam"
When it comes to dinosaurs, well all I can say is the bible didn't mention elephants or kagaroos either.
There is a God, thre is a heaven and hell. Just cos one denies it doesn't change the fact they are real.
Where is the heaven place that you speak of?

IMO, it has to be one of these Gods who created the universe for humans.

1) Mbombo of Bakuba mythology, who vomited out the world upon feeling a stomach ache;

2)Atum in Ennead, whose Fluid becomes the primal components of the universe

3)Ptah creating the universe by speaking. (Sounds like yahweh except he is from  ancient egypt. Interesting!)

4)El or the Elohim of Canaanite mythology

5) Ahura Mazda

6)Ngai - Supreme god, lives on the holy mountain Kirinyaga (Mount Kenya). (Maasai)

7) Zeus and his posse on mount olympus

coolMusikavanhu - "The Creator" (Shona people of Zimbabwe)

9)Chukwu - the supreme deity in Odinani

10) GOD.

apoti:

The evolution theory makes no sense at all, because if it is true the trend should continue, Man since his existence should have transformed into another creature, I've also not seen another creature evolving from goats or dogs. The big slam theory is even worse, telling me everything that exists today occurred by accident undecided

One of the main postulates in science is repeatability, if all these theories are not repeatable, then they are not true IMO

Or maybe you refuse to accept evolution and the big slam theory because they automatically take your god out of the equation. These are the only two theories that fundies have problems with, they will call it a theory but ignore the fact that other things they take for granted are also just "theories".  Maybe the germ "theory" of disease is also untrue because you can't see pathogens or maybe the theory of gravity is bullsh_t because no one has ever observed a graviton. There are plenty of evidence for evolution and if you look objectively without clouding your mind with ignorant religious ideologies and dogmas, you'll come to a sane conclusion.  Evolution or creation. We evolved( and still evolving) or we were created by some god from mud or dirt or Fluid or clot or whatever the primitive people who came up with these ideas thought.

You want further evidence that men create gods look no further than scientology.  L Ron Hubbard knew about science and technology so his "creator" flew to earth on a spacecraft that looked like a 757 while the ignorant nomads who told campfire stories to each other about god could only muster flying horses and an omnipotent, onmiscience god who made clothes for his first humans from animal skin.
Why? Because one god was created in the 20th century while the other was created over 3000 years ago so the technology each god had available reflects the knowledge of the people who created them.

Xeno has a spacecraft, Jesus and Persueus ride on flying horses. Different times, different amount of knowledge.

Religion gives you people an overbloated ego so that you think humans have a special purpose in the universe. Like Elwood Blues said, "we are on a mission from god"!!!

Humans are alive jsut because the earth's conditions is conducive for human life, that's all. I don't find a single reason to think some supernatural entities are out there somewhere and that they give a hoot about me.  You assumption that there is a god gives your life a meaning because you think there is an ultimate goal of eternal life awaiting you, that's nice but it's still wishful thinking.
Re: Do You Believe In God by Nobody: 5:43am On Jul 04, 2011
B@ng is now an inappropriate word?! The moderator must be a good christian!!!! lmao Trying to censor speech, they stay true to form!!!!

Big B@ng theory not big bang theory.
Re: Do You Believe In God by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:34am On Jul 04, 2011
manmustwac:

And evolution and the big slam theory makes a lot moře sense to me because it explains the existance of dinosaurs which is nót mentioned in the bible

christianity is not the only religion in the world. many Pagan religions have always maintained that other larger creatures existed long before humans. as for evolution, Pagan religions do not believe in adam n eve. also in Pagan religions lyk Hinduism, etc they have part-human/ part-monkey upright beings, which suggests that their ancient scholars already had an idea about evolution.

anyone who does not believe in evolution and dinosaurs in these days, must be deluded.
Re: Do You Believe In God by Jenwitemi(m): 6:16pm On Jul 04, 2011
The sun is God, then. There are people who worship it, especially in the ancient times. grin
manmustwac:

GOD is too nebulous a term. Anything and anybody can be a God.
Re: Do You Believe In God by thehomer: 8:00pm On Jul 04, 2011
apoti:

The evolution theory makes no sense at all, because if it is true the trend should continue, Man since his existence should have transformed into another creature, I've also not seen another creature evolving from goats or dogs.

Actually, your last phrase shows that you don't really understand what the theory of evolution says. That phrase would actually be evidence against evolution. I hope you realize that 5 million years ago, there were no Homo sapiens roaming the earth. Now, there are.

apoti:

The big slam theory is even worse, telling me everything that exists today occurred by accident  undecided

That isn't what the theory postulates.

apoti:

Yes it is one of them. Not the only one neither is it one that if it were not present, the theory would then be false. Consider the theory of continental drift, is it repeatable to show that Africa and South America were once one large continuous land mass?

(1) (Reply)

The Beast Revelation / Evolution For Creationists / Hell Explained By A Chemistry Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.