Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,496 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica (18939 Views)

Israel Adesanya Retains UFC Middleweight Championship After Beating Romero / Anthony Joshua Explains The Role Of Islam In His Life After Beating Andy Ruiz In / Picture Of Messi And Suarez In Their Dressing Room After Beating Liverpool. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by ogbiwa: 8:20am On Mar 28, 2022
Canada beat Jamaica 4-0 to reach their first men's World Cup in 36 years.

Victory in Toronto means Canada are assured of finishing in one of the top three places in the final stage of Concacaf qualifying for Qatar 2022.

Their last World Cup appearance came at Mexico 1986, where they finished bottom of their group without scoring.

Cyle Larin and Tajon Buchanan put Canada 2-0 up at half-time before Junior Hoilett and an Adrian Mariappa own goal sealed the victory.

It led to joyous celebrations from the sell-out crowd at BMO Field as Canada clinched World Cup qualification for only the second time.

English coach John Herdman, who led the Canadian women's team to successive Olympic bronze medals in 2012 and 2016, has guided Les Rouges to Qatar in his first qualifying campaign in charge.

"We just qualified for the World Cup, this is a legit football country," said Herdman, who last worked in England as an academy coach at Sunderland more than 20 years ago.

"When I first took over and I said, 'We're going to qualify for the World Cup', I don't think they believed us. I'm happy for them because all of these fans have waited and waited and waited, and hung in with us - and we're going.

"I think this country never believed in us because we've given them nothing to believe in. They believe now.

"This is the time for everyone to get behind football and unite because we can be a powerhouse."

The United States, Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama are all in contention for the final two automatic Concacaf qualification spots for the 2022 World Cup, which starts on 21 November.

Mexico and the US, who face El Salvador and Costa Rica respectively on Wednesday, need only a draw from their final qualification game to book their spots in Qatar.

Costa Rica, in fourth place, would need a big win against the US and for results to go their way to finish in the top three.

The fourth-placed country in the eight-team table earns a play-off against the winner of Wednesday's final of Oceania qualifying between the Solomon Islands and New Zealand.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60896263

6 Likes

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Sarsaproko: 12:05pm On Mar 28, 2022
Make dem go there go chop cain...This is not ice hockey..

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by EdgarBounce(m): 12:05pm On Mar 28, 2022
Easy comrade.
What about our Super Eagles?

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Mikelarteta(m): 12:05pm On Mar 28, 2022
Am so happy I will be playing at the World Cup. Am part of history to the Glory of God.

3 Likes

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Divinehub: 12:06pm On Mar 28, 2022
ArchiLimited:
After all the celebration now they'll get to the world cup only to be distributing points freely. That's how Panama declared national holiday after qualifying for russia, only to go there and finish bottom of the group with zero points

Easy comrade.

What about our Super Eagles?

22 Likes

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Lilchilz(m): 12:06pm On Mar 28, 2022
Celebrating as if them no go get -15 goals differences

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Afolavid: 12:06pm On Mar 28, 2022
So proud of you my boys! The Best Team in North America smiley

Good to see Canada is gradually taking over Men's football

7 Likes

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by JEFFERSON016(m): 12:06pm On Mar 28, 2022
Group stage assured
Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Mikelarteta(m): 12:07pm On Mar 28, 2022
ArchiLimited:
After all the celebration now they'll get to the world cup only to be distributing points freely. That's how Panama declared national holiday after qualifying for russia, only to go there and finish bottom of the group with zero points
It’s ok not everybody can distribute free points even if you like to distribute. We don qualify that’s the most important thing for now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Obagofixxy: 12:07pm On Mar 28, 2022
Congrats to una, e no easy
Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Triangles1(m): 12:07pm On Mar 28, 2022
Bonus for Brazil and France.

4 Likes

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by kenzysmith: 12:07pm On Mar 28, 2022
Nigeria group CANADA. ARGERTINA. AND SERBIA second round sure 4 us

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Tdotraptors1: 12:08pm On Mar 28, 2022
Yes o. Qualified in style.

Time to book plane tickets to Qatar to support Canada and hopefully, Nigeria.

Canada, USA and Mexico are also joint hosts after Qatar in 2026 - Automatic qualification.

4 Likes

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by timefarm(m): 12:09pm On Mar 28, 2022
Congratulations to the team.
We are with you.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Whazar(m): 12:09pm On Mar 28, 2022
These ones go flog super chickens ehn

1 Like

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by BigBelleControl(m): 12:09pm On Mar 28, 2022
Alphonsus David will overrun Ola Aina if they put us in the same group.

3 Likes

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by lexy2014: 12:10pm On Mar 28, 2022
ArchiLimited:

You are in the spirit
Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by adedolapoololade(m): 12:11pm On Mar 28, 2022
Mikelarteta:
Am so happy I will be playing at the World Cup. Am part of history to the Glory of God.
Congrats bro
Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Michael547(m): 12:11pm On Mar 28, 2022
Awesome.
I'm available for your car inspection and scanning
Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Nubski2021: 12:12pm On Mar 28, 2022
Walk over for Nigeria in the world cup...my faith tells me Nigeria na em go win this world cup

8 Likes

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by tonididdy(m): 12:12pm On Mar 28, 2022
I doubt if SE go qualify
Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Ilamina(f): 12:12pm On Mar 28, 2022
Fcck.k Jamaica tho

Wicked, arrogant people like Ghanaians

4 Likes

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by Tywo2018: 12:12pm On Mar 28, 2022
Migrants makes a Country if not for migrant country that works. Congratulations

6 Likes

Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by MrSensor(m): 12:13pm On Mar 28, 2022
Common Canada.
Re: Canada Qualify For Their First Men's World Cup In 36 Years After Beating Jamaica by AUMAN: 12:14pm On Mar 28, 2022
Let them be put in the same group with Ghana and they will chop goals.That game na sure over 2.5 goals.When I say Ghana it is obvious Nigeria is crashing out tomorrow

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Liberia Vs Nigeria: International Friendly 1- 2 (Full Time) / Vincent Kompany Leaves Man City After 11 Years To Join Anderlecht / Wike Buys A Bus For Rivers Angels (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.