Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

New puppy owner, Please I Need Help - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / New puppy owner, Please I Need Help (852 Views)

Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy / Just Bought This New Puppy / Petlanders .... Say Hello To My New Puppy.. Pet Dog... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New puppy owner, Please I Need Help by kingsley18(m): 9:53am On Mar 28, 2022
Good morning guys, I just got this 4 weeks mixed breed Alsatian dog (dad Alsatian, mom local Nigeria dog).

I'm actually a new dog owner and I've never owned a dog before, please I really need tips especially on feedings on how to train it to become a wonderful dog.

It will be bath, de-worm & antibiotic also the Admission of first distemper vaccine and green card today.

Please any useful information will be appreciated because I don't want it to grow and become a full local dog. I will be adding his photo too and also updates this post as the days goes by.

Re: New puppy owner, Please I Need Help by Legend2000(m): 10:17pm On Mar 28, 2022
Firstly don’t get it wrong. That’s a GSD local dog mix and not an Alsatian. A pure bred GSD is also an Alsatian only that German Sherperd was the name given to the dog by the Germans cause the dog originated from Germany, but during the war, the Americans took the dogs over to their countries and not wanting to name the dog according to an enemy name(German sherperd), they decided to name the dog Alsatian. I hope you gerrit.
About the food, you can get dog feed if your budget can cover that, or better still get leftovers from restaurants or hotels and feed the dog. With proper care, vaccinations and the likes, I am sure the dog is gonna grow into something great

1 Like

Re: New puppy owner, Please I Need Help by Emprexp: 12:47pm On Mar 29, 2022
Your dog can be great only if I want it too mixed or not
For feeding buy broken rice
Buy dry or wet food ( dog food) there are different kind of dog food eg, optimax, balance, diamond, booster etc. They all come both in dry and wet food. Get a good vet doctor who will b able to help with the vaccination (dhlpp, deworming and anti-rabies).. on your own you can teach him/her how to sit and fetch take the dog on a walk ( few days after taken the anti-rabies injection) n that should be when the dog is up to 4months that's when you should administer the injection then after that you do it yearly (once every year). If you want her to know just you and probably your family members get her a cage so that the dog won't be friends with strangers bath her once every month or twice to avoid cold, show her love it means a lot to them... Note this DO NOT � GIVE YOUR DOG ANY HUMAN FOOD NOT TO TALK OF LEFT OVER ITS VERY HARMFUL TO THEIR SYSTEM AND THEY WONT GROW WELL.
Re: New puppy owner, Please I Need Help by Emprexp: 12:55pm On Mar 29, 2022
And pls don't use rubber plate for feeding kindly buy the dog plate and get iron bucket for drinking water to avoid fungi and other bacteria.
Re: New puppy owner, Please I Need Help by kingsley18(m): 9:06am On Mar 30, 2022
Emprexp:
Your dog can be great only if I want it too mixed or not
For feeding buy broken rice
Buy dry or wet food ( dog food) there are different kind of dog food eg, optimax, balance, diamond, booster etc. They all come both in dry and wet food. Get a good vet doctor who will b able to help with the vaccination (dhlpp, deworming and anti-rabies).. on your own you can teach him/her how to sit and fetch take the dog on a walk ( few days after taken the anti-rabies injection) n that should be when the dog is up to 4months that's when you should administer the injection then after that you do it yearly (once every year). If you want her to know just you and probably your family members get her a cage so that the dog won't be friends with strangers bath her once every month or twice to avoid cold, show her love it means a lot to them... Note this DO NOT � GIVE YOUR DOG ANY HUMAN FOOD NOT TO TALK OF LEFT OVER ITS VERY HARMFUL TO THEIR SYSTEM AND THEY WONT GROW WELL.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate.

The dog was given a deworm injection a day before yesterday and vitamins by the vet. He is also coming to give him Distemper vaccine and also an antibiotics injection too.

So far he has been feeding well but he only eats chicken head, he refused to eat dog food that was recommended by the vet doctor or even our type of food, I even mixed it with the chicken head, he carefully selected just the chicken head and leave the other food. He only prefer to eat just meat and fish. I really want he to eat other food.

1 Like

Re: New puppy owner, Please I Need Help by Emprexp: 9:18am On Mar 30, 2022
My dog did same too but this is what you will do don't feed the for a whole day even the chicken head just allow hunger to deal with the dog a little he or she will be forced to eat when ever they see food and don't make them so addicted to eating chicken or fish and pls make sure the chicken is raw not cooked. Cooked food is bad for them (fish n chicken must be raw) and for your dog to have muscle buy (bullymax) it's a tablet once every morning. Note just for male dogs. Abeg no feed your dog human food else you won't like the structure of your Dog.
Re: New puppy owner, Please I Need Help by kingsley18(m): 9:31am On Mar 30, 2022
Thanks so much, i made a mistake of cooking the chicken head, let me wait for this one to finish, I'll try giving him raw chicken head and fish. Also this Bullymax can he start taking it, he's just 4 weeks plus old.

I really need help because I don't want it to grow and become a full Nigeria local dog.
Re: New puppy owner, Please I Need Help by Emprexp: 10:18pm On Mar 30, 2022
Yes he can start taking it cause the pills add to his growth too he's bones n muscles will form up as he grows there by making him strong n muscular. And watch him closely so that he won't go eating from the waste bin if you see him showing some kind of silly behavior just bit him he will know that what he is doing is bad n won't do it again. U will love your dog and his out come
Re: New puppy owner, Please I Need Help by kingsley18(m): 7:17am On Mar 31, 2022
Thanks for the help sir, I gave him raw chicken head and fish, he refused to eat the fish and the raw chicken. So I cook it a little with just water and he ate it. So I feel because the chicken head was a bit strong for him. I don't want him to get to just chicken head so I'm looking for another meals.

So far he has been a good boy, doesn't step out outside unless am going out then he'll follow me.

He only leaves my room to either poo or urinate.
Re: New puppy owner, Please I Need Help by Emprexp: 8:40am On Mar 31, 2022
I'm glad I could help but I'm actually a lady not a man n I'm glad it puppy is doing fine just don't let him get used to the cooked chicken if I can buy booster dry food for puppy it's like 9k I don't know how much dey sale in our area or u look for balance dry food mix it with milk n warm water (just 1 small cup) then smash the raw chicken head n add it to the food too so that he can get use to it cause the raw food helps more than the cooked food. Thanks for taking my little advice God bless u.

(1) (Reply)

What Kind Of Breed Is This / Why Do Dogs Lick? / Siberian Husky Puppies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.