Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,149 members, 7,849,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:38 AM

OPINION: Sentimentality Is A Sign Of Low IQ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPINION: Sentimentality Is A Sign Of Low IQ (346 Views)

Prophet Iginla Warns Against Tinubu’s Muslim-Muslim Ticket, Says A Sign Of War / Oshiomhole Makes 'Sign Of Cross' Before Casting Vote During Edo Election / Osun Rerun: White Handkerchief As A Sign Of Vote Buying (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: Sentimentality Is A Sign Of Low IQ by swagficient(m): 7:37am On Mar 30, 2022
I believe people who think and act with emotions should not be blamed. They simply lack the power to see beyond their nose.
Ethnic, religious, family, etc sentiments are due to their inability to think wider than what they see.
You might say greed play a long role too, but, I believe greed itself is a big sign of low thinking faculty.

There are multiplier effects to every of our actions, both short and long term. If people could only see negative effects of their actions today, maybe they won't have acted the way they did.

Abi what do you think?.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Sentimentality Is A Sign Of Low IQ by Puremind1225: 7:44am On Mar 30, 2022
You are somehow right but not entirely,
Re: OPINION: Sentimentality Is A Sign Of Low IQ by NOwazobia: 8:38am On Mar 30, 2022
If you are critical in your thought, you would have known that the denial of sentiment is actually the sign of low IQ, and not being sentimental at all.

Sentiment is a fused aspect of the human nature. For every choices you make, another is forgone. Good or bad sentiment I can agree but not standalone sentiment.

The sentiment against being sentimental is actually a sentiment. It could have a negative or a positive impact.

Now you made mentioned of being emotional as a sign of low IQ; but I take emotions as a strong part of IQ. If we should always use Logic or rationale in judging everything or most thing, then I bet you, I can find what is right in everything that is wrong.

Terrorism is evil and bad (emotions).
But they are doing it for their survival and religious course, so let's support them (Reason).

Why do you always appoint your kinsmen all the time, we won't take it this time around (emotions).
But it makes sense because they are the one in power, and your people never voted him (reason).

Please, don't underrate emotions because it is the highest form of intelligence if properly channelled, and you don't even know that your post is more of a product of emotions than reason.

Though, sometimes it is very hard to distinguished emotions from reason as they are complementary in nature.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Sentimentality Is A Sign Of Low IQ by plaetton: 8:39am On Mar 30, 2022
swagficient:
I believe people who think and act with emotions should not be blamed. They simply lack the power to see beyond their nose.
Ethnic, religious, family, etc sentiments are due to their inability to think wider than what they see.
You might say greed play a long role too, but, I believe greed itself is a big sign of low thinking faculty.

There are multiplier effects to every of our actions, both short and long term. If people could only see negative effects of their actions today, maybe they won't have acted the way they did.

Abi what do you think?.
I agree 100%.
I spend a lot time arbitrating and reconciling family and friends entangled in one lingering conflict or another.

At the end , I find that at the root of every conflict, personal, relationships, family, political and national, lies cascades of unnecessary, illogical sentiments.
And I spend a lot of time wondering why people cannot see things and issues in broader , longer term perspectives, and why they seem unable to simply calculate and forsee the inevitable chain-reactional consequences of their actions.

The chain- reactional consequences of every action can be deduced with almost mathematical precision, but cascades of unnecessary sentiments blurrs people's vision,and they end up in a repetitive cycle of negative action and negative consequences.
Nigeria being the best example .

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Sentimentality Is A Sign Of Low IQ by plaetton: 8:51am On Mar 30, 2022
NOwazobia:
If you are a bit critical in your thought, you would have know that the denial of sentiment is actually the sign of low IQ, and not being sentiment at all.

Sentiment ruled the world, and your post is an example of a sentiment. But your low IQ won't allow you see this.

Lol.
Sentiments rule the world ??.
That's probably why life is haphazard in those parts of the world where Sentiments rule.

A correction to your statement would be that high IQ people employ Sentiments to rule the majority low IQ people.

You can easily distinguish between the nations whose leaders , politics and culture are beholden to Sentiments and those nations who's leadership, politics and culture are beholden to rationality and common sense. Their standard of life indices tell the story.
Re: OPINION: Sentimentality Is A Sign Of Low IQ by NOwazobia: 9:04am On Mar 30, 2022
plaetton:

Lol.
Sentiments rule the world ??.
That's probably why life is haphazard in those parts of the world where Sentiments rule.

A correction to your statement would be that high IQ people employ Sentiments to rule the majority low IQ people.

You can easily distinguish between the nations whose leaders , politics and culture are beholden to Sentiments and those nations who's leadership, politics and culture are beholden to rationality and common sense. Their standard of life indices tell the story.
edited. read the post again.

You are actually speaking out of sentiment and emotions. Sentiment is a complex term, and you are just touching it at the surface.

Though, sentiment have a lot to do with the state of our nation but it's far from the tribal and religious banters that happens here all the time.

Corruption is the major cause of our nations. You may say that sentiment and emotions made the masses voted Buhari, but is the Igbo man governing the Igbo state performing as expected, what about the Yoruba man governing the yoruba state, and the Hause/Fulani man governing the Hausa state, and the Southern man governing the Southern state...? Are they outstanding in their leadership? sadly no.
Re: OPINION: Sentimentality Is A Sign Of Low IQ by RightToReject(m): 9:51am On Mar 30, 2022
The fact that you, just like a lot of other people, do not know that acting on emotion and being sentimental does not mean the same thing/ought not to be interchangeable, makes your post, however noble your intention seems, quasi-whack.

Yes, people who think and act on sentiment simply lack the power to see beyond their nose; a typical sign of low IQ, but it is not automatically the same for people who act on emotion since acting on emotion entails instant expression of inner thoughts rather than sucking of thought. Sucking of thought is an act of disingenuousness and the hallmark of sentimental people that make them treacherously dangerous.

Of course, greed, self-centeredness, selfishness, feeble-mindedness are components of low IQ. It is one of those diseases that no amount of formal education can cure.

Emotion is a complex psychological state such as fear, anger, or happiness, while sentiment is a mental attitude produced by feelings. Emotions are raw, while sentiments are organized.

There is nothing wrong with being emotional, provided that you operate on a philosophy that is rooted in the principle of justice and fairness. However, there is everything wrong with being emotionless (not giving to instant acting on emotion), when you operate on a philosophy that is rooted in expediency, which most sentimental people are known for.

4 Likes

Re: OPINION: Sentimentality Is A Sign Of Low IQ by orisa37: 10:07am On Mar 30, 2022
Puremind1225:
You are somehow right but not entirely,

He is entirely. Sentimentality is a FAILURE and so SATANIC.
SATAN IS A FAILURE.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Sentimentality Is A Sign Of Low IQ by Investigative: 10:42am On Mar 30, 2022
having no emotions is also sentiment
Op
Having high IQ is the ability to analyze action and reaction from a neutral perspective if not
Every action has a solid reason,so do every reaction

(1) (Reply)

"Why I Am Running For President", Osinbajo / Tunde Bakare Leads Yoruba Fake Prophecies Against Igbos Because Of Presidency / Govs Wike, Tambuwal - Support Peter Obi Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.