Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,289 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

11 Specific Reasons Why People No Longer Trust Pastors - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 11 Specific Reasons Why People No Longer Trust Pastors (296 Views)

8 Common Reasons Why People Die In Their Sleep / This Is Why People Hire Me! Learn This 3 Major Skills At Once / I Skipped Service Last Year ... My Name Is No Longer On The Portal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

11 Specific Reasons Why People No Longer Trust Pastors by Johndickson500(m): 7:52am On Mar 30, 2022
11 SPECIFIC REASONS WHY PEOPLE NO LONGER TRUST PASTORS Written by Bola Akin Francis John

If you read my posts regularly, you know my love for pastors and local churches.I was once a pastor, and I have great respect for those who lead God’s church. At the same time, my consulting work with churches and my speaking schedule have given me opportunities to speak with people who no longer trust pastors. I’ve written books on pastors, but I’m adding today some specific reasons I’ve heard more than once. I’m afraid that many people unfairly characterize all pastors based on only one or two examples; nevertheless, here are some of the more specific reasons they’ve lost their trust in modern societies:

1. A pastor lied to them. It takes only one pastor to commit this sin before a believer struggles to trust any pastor. One lie leaves deep scars.
2. They’ve known pastors who lived one way in the pulpit but another way outside it. Hypocrisy usually leads to distrust – and future pastors have to “earn” their credibility before church members trust them.
3. Some pastor hurt a family member. The emotional connection with family usually magnifies our anger when somebody we love is hurt. That kind of anger is difficult to get over.
4. Pastors have abused them. People no, longer trust pastors because they have been morally, financially and mentally abused, taken advantaged of by pastors.
5. They heard a pastor talk in off-color ways. Sometimes, this problem occurred in the pulpit. Pastors using hyperbole, exerggerations in the pulpit. More often, though, it was a “behind the scenes” conversation that depleted any trust.
6. They loved a short-term pastor who said to them, “I’m here for the long haul” even while he was talking with another church. This issue, of course, goes back to lying.
7. Some pastor dealt suspiciously with money. Perhaps nothing was ever proven, but enough concerns were raised that distrust set in. Money has a way of creating leadership turmoil.
8. They discovered the pastor’s sermons online—and with someone else first delivering them. Pulpit plagiarism is growing, even though it’s easy to get caught. Once again, one bad example makes it tough to hear any pastor without wondering about the source of every sermon.
9. Some pastoral candidate included false information on a resume. It happens, I’m afraid. A falsely beefed-up resume can lead to doubts not only about the candidate, but about other pastors as well.
10. They’ve seen a pastor treat his family poorly. They grieve when they see the pastor critique his spouse or berate his children publicly. His actions only raise questions about his personal walk with God.
11. The extravagant lifestyle of pastors. People stop trusting pastors when they discover their opulent, fastidious lifestyles. They reasoned that their living standard is way beyond their serious and sacrificial calling and commission.
In the last several years, trust in pastors have greatly waned in our societies. I’m not asking for other reasons to be added today. Instead, I’m asking you to take a moment and simply pray for your pastors.

Follow me on Facebook using Evangelist John Emmanuel

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Let That Your Smartphone Fetch You Dollars � � � / What is the one thing you need most right now? Let's discuss / What Edet Edem Akpan Told His Students On His POP Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.