Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities (5992 Views)

Nigeria Should Be Speaking Arabic Not English (because Its An Arabian Country) / The Most Commercialized/industrialized Non-capital Cities In Nigeria / Capital Cities Of West Africa States Are Coastal Cities Except Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Justcash(m): 12:38pm On Jul 04, 2011
I think it will be best for Nigeria to have four capital cities with different functions.

Abuja should be the Federal administrative Capital- Executive duties should be handled from there.
Lagos should be the Federal Commercial Capital- All commercial ministries and related federal institutions should be there.
Portharcourt should be the Federal Judicial Capital-All the federal judicial houses should be there.
Enugu should be the Federal Legislative Capital- All the federal houses of assembly should be there.

This will be strategic because it will aid the simultaneous presence of the federal government in every section of the country and the different arms of government can better serve as watchdogs against each other considering the distance. Moreover, it will also ensure that the nation will not be locked down if one federal capital is taken out by terrorists or even in a war.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Afam4eva(m): 12:48pm On Jul 04, 2011
You're right. Let's borrow a leaf from South Afria which has three capital cities. One should be the Executive capital(Abuja).The other should be our legislative capital(Enugu). Ibadan should be our judicial capital. Plus we shoulsdalso spread government parastatals to different zones.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Rgp92: 1:47pm On Jul 04, 2011
Good idea grin
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by AbuMaryam1(m): 2:48pm On Jul 04, 2011
@OP Abuja is a middle belt no more north, and don't forget we have north east north, central and north west i don't know what you want to give them

You just talk like Ghaddafi who says Nigeria should be divided on the bases of religious and ethnicity, grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Afam4eva(m): 2:53pm On Jul 04, 2011
Abu-Maryam:

@OP Abuja is a middle belt no more north, and don't forget we have north east north, central and north west i don't know what you want to give them

You just talk like Ghaddafi who says Nigeria should be divided on the bases of religious and ethnicity, grin grin grin grin grin grin

Who the capitals wil go to is a matter for another day. Infact it should be split between the three ethnic groups plus one in the middle belt. Making it 2 in the north and 2 in the south.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by step1: 2:59pm On Jul 04, 2011
At OP I agree with your suggestion but not everything

Sokoto should be a Legislative capital while Enugu should be the science and technology capital where they deal with industrialisation and inventions.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by chino11(m): 3:01pm On Jul 04, 2011
Onitsha should be Economic/Commercial hub Capital of Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Afam4eva(m): 3:07pm On Jul 04, 2011
step1:

At OP I agree with your suggestion but not everything

Sokoto should be a Legislative capital while Enugu should be the science and technology capital where they deal with industrialisation and inventions.

chino11:

Onitsha should be Economic/Commercial hub Capital of Nigeria

We're talking of government parastatals and not just capital of anything. If Enugu wants to be the capital of anything then the Enugu will have to do something for it to happen. It must not be explicitly given to them. Lagos is the commercial capital of Nigeria by it's achievement and not by appointment.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by GAR3TH(m): 3:11pm On Jul 04, 2011
And what will happen if we do have 3 capitals, nothing will change. it will still be the same nigeria with 3 capitals.

Kind of a waist of time, money and resources.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Afam4eva(m): 3:21pm On Jul 04, 2011
GAR3TH:

And what will happen if we do have 3 capitals, nothing will change. it will still be the same nigeria with 3 capitals.

Something will change but not much. At least we'll have development spreading to other parts of the country.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by hakanai(m): 3:35pm On Jul 04, 2011
Good idea but make it six!!!I have always thought of this.Just wondered if it would be acceptable to our kinda leaders.For me i would say even make it rotational.After every 8yrs another new set of six should be taken again for meaningful development.Until all meet an average development rate.
One for each geopolitical zone.so that people can throne there for Urban life style and also the capitals can funnel modernization easily to environs.
I will suggest 6 new capitals every 8 years.Starting as follows.

NC- Abuja
SS-PH or Cross river
NW-Kano
SE-Anambra
SW-Lagos or Ogun
NE-Gombe or Maiduguri
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by jason123: 3:44pm On Jul 04, 2011
haka_nai:

Good idea but make it six!!!I have always thought of this.Just wondered if it would be acceptable to our kinda leaders.For me i would say even make it rotational.After every 8yrs another new set of six should be taken again for meaningful development.Until all meet an average development rate.
One for each geopolitical zone.so that people can throne there for Urban life style and also the capitals can funnel modernization easily to environs.
I will suggest 6 new capitals every 8 years.Starting as follows.

NC- Abuja
SS-PH or Cross river
NW-Kano
SE-Anambra
SW-Lagos or Ogun
NE-Gombe or Maiduguri

Supported!!!

But I think the capital of the SS should be Delta because of its diversity. We have Igbo, Itsekiri, Uhrobo, Ijaw, Isoko etc . .

SE, I think Enugu
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by saintneo(m): 3:45pm On Jul 04, 2011
Chineke God! What will I not see being debated on Nairaland?
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Afam4eva(m): 3:46pm On Jul 04, 2011
jason123:

Supported!!!

But I think the capital of the SS should be Delta because of its diversity. We have Igbo, Itsekiri, Uhrobo, Ijaw, Isoko etc . .

You want Delta because it's your state of Origin. Although i want to agree with you. But you also have to understand that Rivers is also diverse. Though they're not equality distributed like Delta.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by kilometer(f): 3:48pm On Jul 04, 2011
GAR3TH:

Seconded!

Things will only change as per the subject if God destroy all the corrupt leaders.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by macmoyor(m): 3:49pm On Jul 04, 2011
In fact,every state should be capital,enough of these nonsenses in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by jason123: 3:51pm On Jul 04, 2011
afam4eva:

You want Delta because it's your state of Origin. Although i want to agree with you. But you also have to understand that Rivers is also diverse. Though they're not equality distributed like Delta.
@highlighted

grin grin grin. But that was not the main reason sha . . .
@the rest
I agree with you that Rivers state is diverse but not as diverse as Delta. In Rivers, we basically have two ethnic groups, Ikwerri and Ijaw but Delta state has more. I'm of the opinion that any capital should be as diverse as possible so as to prevent domination.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 04, 2011
:d :d :d
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by ektbear: 3:56pm On Jul 04, 2011
I don't mind this idea of a "capital" for each zone. Less emphasis on Abuja, more on the 6 zones.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by asscend: 3:56pm On Jul 04, 2011
Poster has made a good suggestion but as usual the usual ethnic bigotry of Naraland comes to play.

Why can't we do any thing without ethnic rubbish coming to play.

Sight an industry in the South, the North Complains, put one in the North the south complains.

No wonda Nigeria is the way it is with everyone claiming their state or region should have it while others are castigated.

When Nigeria does something good every one claims responsibility but when it is negative they start pointing is the North or its those Easteners,  etc,

Just read this thread and see selfishness at its highest with everyone arguing why it should be their state,
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Digriz(m): 3:59pm On Jul 04, 2011
Abuja,lagos,ibadan and enugu is okay.
Abuja- executives
Lagos-commercial as usual
Ibadan-judiciary
Enugu-legislative.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by asscend: 3:59pm On Jul 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't mind this idea of a "capital" for each zone. Less emphasis on Abuja, more on the 6 zones.

Thats a brilliant idea to help but remember that one region could display selfishness and say they will lock down that aspect to show that they are important,

However your idea is brilliant,
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by enyojo(f): 4:01pm On Jul 04, 2011
Kaduna will be Textile Capital ko?

grin grin grin grin

time-wasting thread kena
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by agitator: 4:02pm On Jul 04, 2011
and some people are saying we are running an expensive democracy.  undecided
Next others will cry marginalization and it will be 1 capital for each geopolitical zone.  grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by kemisuga(f): 4:06pm On Jul 04, 2011
saintneo:

Chineke God! What will I not see being debated on Nairaland?
I tire ooooh
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by abasifo(m): 4:09pm On Jul 04, 2011
so
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by olapluto(m): 4:12pm On Jul 04, 2011
I pity the OP. Let Ciroma and the 'wise men' catch you. You didnt mention Kano? Kaduna? Maiduguri?
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 04, 2011
Kano to become the Sharia Capital of Nigeria with Grand Khadis, Almajiris, Boko Haram etc

Very good idea!!!
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 04, 2011
The idea hasn't even started yet evreryone is already divided! And some are already clamouring for the best possible sector for their region,

Every region should be a whole and on it's on; able to support the remaining regions in case of disaster

That is how you build a strong nation!

A wise nation will see the idea as dead on arrival based on this nl replies alone,

You will give people power over each other in certain areas if this idea is ever considered,
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Afam4eva(m): 4:26pm On Jul 04, 2011
Regionalism will solve all this problems.
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 04, 2011
U guys are just creating another means of embezzlement for them

Plane Budget for plane ticket for the House of Assembly to fly to Enugu for meeting----1 billion naira yearly

From Abuja to Lagos which i think is more distanced, Budgets 2billion naira yearly for cost of plane ticket for meeting

Port Will be like 2 billion naira for plane ticket for meeting

I suggest this thread should be delete b4 any of them sees this topic raise it as a motion that they need 4 Capital cities
undecided
Re: Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities by Afam4eva(m): 4:37pm On Jul 04, 2011
odiaero:

U guys are just creating another means of embezzlement for them

Plane Budjet for plane ticket for the House of Assembly to fly to Enugu for meeting----1 billion naira yearly

From Abuja to Lagos which i think is more distanced, Budgets 2billion naira yearly for cost of plane ticket for meeting

Port Will be like 2 billion naira for plane ticket for meeting

I suggest this thread should be delete b4 any of them sees this topic raise it as a motion that they need 4 Capital cities
undecided

Why will they be flying to Enugu. Enugu will become the legislative capital so that's where they'll live. What will they be doing in Abuja.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We‘re On Top Of The Situation – GEJ: Visits UN House / It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan / CPC Denies Knowledge Of Buhari's 2015 Posters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.