Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? (21966 Views)

Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople / WHY INEC Mocked Election Failed In Kano But A Success In Lagos And Delta State? / Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by honeric01(m): 1:51pm On Jul 04, 2011
This thread is dedicated to those who knows or wants to know more about Lagos's history.

On this thread, you can only do 2 things, [b]ask [/b]or [b]answer [/b]a question that is [b]ONLY [/b]on Lagos state (past and present issues/info/occurrence).

Hope we all find this thread to be beneficial at the end of day.

Regards cool
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by Afam4eva(m): 1:57pm On Jul 04, 2011
How did the Portugese name "Lagos" come about.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by honeric01(m): 2:00pm On Jul 04, 2011
1: The leader of Lagos youth movement (LYM) is?

2:  The first hospital in Lagos is the?

3:  Oga in Lagos is associated with?

4: The current Lagos commissioner for youth, sports and social development is?

5: Who founded the weekly news paper "eko akete"?
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by Afam4eva(m): 2:03pm On Jul 04, 2011
honeric01:

4: The current Lagos commissioner for youth, sports and social development is?

Ademola Adeniji Adele
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by KnowAll(m): 2:11pm On Jul 04, 2011
Is Afikuyomi still a commisioner in Fashola's new cabinet or not? I know he was once a senator and he was Tinubu's eye in the Lagos Cabinet, just wondering what his next step is?
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by Afam4eva(m): 2:15pm On Jul 04, 2011
KnowAll:

Is Afikuyomi still a commisioner in Fashola's new cabinet or not? I know he was once a senator and he was Tinubu's eye in the Lagos Cabinet, just wondering what his next step is?

That will be more like downgrading himself. You can't go from being a senator to being a commissioner.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by AndreUweh(m): 2:17pm On Jul 04, 2011
Is Lagos no man's land or all mans land?.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by Afam4eva(m): 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Technically it is Lagos people's land. But the problem now is: Who are the Lagosians?

1) Are they people who are either indigenes, people who were born in Lagos and people who have naturalized in Lagos.

2) Is is just indigenes?

3) Is it just Yoruba people?

4) Is it all Nigerians?

I go with the first option.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by step1: 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2011
afam4eva:

The Portuguese used Eko(which means Oko farmland in Awori) for trade of slaves, weapons, palm oil and others. They traded slaves from the Egba people in present day Lagos and that is why the Yorubas are found in Portugal colonises like Brazil etc.

Also, they traded weapon with the Ijebu's via lagos and with the yoruba close allays then the Binis. After some years, they then decides to change the name of the city from Eko to Lagos.

After the absents of the Portuguese, the name was changed back to Eko until the Bristish came and mapped the city as Lagos thanks to the Portuguese which they met. By which the Aworis were still under the Bini rule in those days.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by honeric01(m): 2:23pm On Jul 04, 2011
afam4eva:

The trade friendship they had with the binis who were coming to Lagos to trade then?

Or they named it after Lagos (their own city name too) because of the familiarity?  undecided
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by step1: 2:23pm On Jul 04, 2011
Andre Uweh:

No. Lagos like other cities around the world have indigenes that where leaving there and are still there. Lagos is an Awori, Ijebu and Egba land
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by jason123: 2:24pm On Jul 04, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Lagos is a Yoruba man's land. If anything then, Edo. But it is not a NO MAN's land.

You see, it is this type of silly propaganda that makes people insecure and react violently. How can you go to another man's land, live in peace and later decalre it a no man's land since they do not disturb your presence there??

We have had a capital (Calabar) before Lagos yet Calabar is not a no man's land but GREEDY people will call Lagos a no man's land. This foolish talk lead the the death of Hausas in Lagos.

My Igbo neighbours, respect is reciprocal. Respect the owners of the land and inturn, you shall be given respect. Because the Yorubas are calm does not give you the license to bully them. One day, they will be pushed to the wall (if this continues) and we will all regret it.

This is my opinion . . .
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by step1: 2:25pm On Jul 04, 2011
afam4eva:

Technically it is Lagos people's land. But the problem now is: Who are the Lagosians?

1) Are they people who are either indigenes, people who were born in Lagos and people who have naturalized in Lagos.

2) Is is just indigenes?

4) Is it all Nigerians?

If you don't mind me asking. Are you an Awori or an Egba or an Ijebu? If not then you have no right to speak about the owners of Lagos and who there land belongs to.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by honeric01(m): 2:27pm On Jul 04, 2011
I am still waiting for answers to the rest of my questions o,

jason123:

Lagos is a Yoruba man's land. If anything then, Edo. But it is not a NO MAN's land.

You see, it is this type of silly propaganda that makes people insecure and react violently. How can you go to another man's land, live in peace and later decalre it a no man's land since they do not disturb your presence there??

We have had a capital (Calabar) before Lagos yet Calabar is not a no man's land but GREEDY people will call Lagos a no man's land. This foolish talk lead the the death of Hausas in Lagos.

My Igbo neighbours, respect is reciprocal. Respect the owners of the land and inturn, you shall be given respect. Because the Yorubas are calm does not give you the license to bully them. One day, they will be pushed to the wall (if this continues) and we will all regret it.

This is my opinion . . .

Please do not TURN this to a tribal war thread, be careful.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by jason123: 2:28pm On Jul 04, 2011
afam4eva:

2) Is is just indigenes?

4) Is it all Nigerians?

I think (1) will be the right definition in the future but as things(reality) are 2 and 3 is the current definition.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by step1: 2:28pm On Jul 04, 2011
At OP I have a question

Why did the Bini people leave Lagos around the 19th century ?
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by jason123: 2:29pm On Jul 04, 2011
honeric01:

Sorry if you think it is tribal but I just have to speak the SIMPLE TRUTH. If I do not say it, any person will . . .
I am out!!! Once again, I apologise . .
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by step1: 2:30pm On Jul 04, 2011
honeric01:

Jason was absolutely right with his post and I see nothing wrong in it. What was your question again?
Maybe I can answer it
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by Afam4eva(m): 2:36pm On Jul 04, 2011
jason123:

I think (1) will be the right definition in the future but as things(reality) are 2 and 3 is the current definition.

Jason is a closet tribalist. With your age and exposure this is the best you could come up with.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by jason123: 2:42pm On Jul 04, 2011
afam4eva:

Jason is a closet tribalist. With your age and exposure this is the best you could come up with.
Whatever you say man . . I really do not care. I alone , answer to my conscience. I am not even a Lagosian.
@ Highlighted
I think my opinion was right because you or anyone outside the Yoruba ethnic group cannot contest as the Chairman of a LG in Lagos and win or get close to 5000 votes not to talk the Governor of the state.
All the Igbos and very other ethnic group including mine that are in Lagos state's government are all through appointments. Even the appoint was based on the fact that they attend Fashola or Tinubu's church except for Ben who was chosen based on merit.

All in all, if you think my definition was inaccurate, in the next election, campaign for an Igbo man in Lagos and see or better still, give me reasons why my opinion was inaccurate . . .
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by honeric01(m): 2:44pm On Jul 04, 2011
step1:

At OP I have a question

Why did the Bini people leave Lagos around the 19th century ?

You can ask anyone, not necessarily me, it's meant for the public and those with answers would surely respond.

jason123:

Sorry if you think it is tribal but I just have to speak the SIMPLE TRUTH. If I do not say it, any person will . . .
I am out!!! Once again, I apologise . .

You could be saying the truth but for peace sake, I wouldn't want you to continue in this pace before the thread is hijacked by tribal E-warriors who can eat up a whole mountain without leaving their chairs/bed/computer.

step1:

Jason was absolutely right with his post and I see nothing wrong in it. What was your question again?
Maybe I can answer it

He might be right but for peace sake, it should not be discussed here.

Scroll downward.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by honeric01(m): 2:49pm On Jul 04, 2011
6: Which Muslim missionary society was founded by L B Augusto in Lagos?
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by Afam4eva(m): 2:49pm On Jul 04, 2011
jason123:

Whatever you say man . . I really do not care. I alone , answer to my conscience. I am not even a Lagosian.
@ Highlighted
I think my opinion was right because you or anyone outside the Yoruba ethnic group cannot contest as the Chairman of a LG in Lagos and win or get close to 5000 votes not to talk the Governor of the state.
All the Igbos and very other ethnic group including mine that are in Lagos state's government are all through appointments. Even the appoint was based on the fact that they attend Fashola or Tinubu's church except for Ben who was chosen based on merit.

All in all, if you think my definition was inaccurate, in the next election, campaign for an Igbo man in Lagos and see or better still, give me reasons why my opinion was inaccurate . . .

Have you ever come across the Nigerian constitution? If you haven't then that explains your use of conjectures. If you don't know something just ask. An Igbo contested against Fashola in the 2007 governorship election. he wasn't stopped by anybody because the constitution does not prevent him from doing so.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by Afam4eva(m): 2:51pm On Jul 04, 2011
honeric01:

He founded the Ahmadiyya Movement i think.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by step1: 2:52pm On Jul 04, 2011
honeric01:

Anwar -Ul-Islam movement of Nigeria founded in 1916

http://www.anwarulislam.com/beginning.asp
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by tpia5: 2:53pm On Jul 04, 2011
@ honeric01

the portuguese town called lagos was a shipping and slave port which also supplied many of the sailors who visited the gulf of guinea- lagos in particular.

Its not yet clear if lagos was also named for that town.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by iragbijile: 2:54pm On Jul 04, 2011
jason123:

This is my opinion . . .

Very well said.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by step1: 2:54pm On Jul 04, 2011
honeric01:

He might be right but for peace sake, it should not be discussed here.

Scroll downward.

I hope I have answered your question
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by tpia5: 2:56pm On Jul 04, 2011
@ step1

which mass exodus of benin are you referring to. A better question would be when did the portuguese exit lagos and before then, who did they interact with while there.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by jason123: 2:57pm On Jul 04, 2011
afam4eva:

Have you ever come across the Nigerian constitution? If you haven't then that explains your use of conjectures. If you don't know something just ask. An Igbo contested against Fashola in the 2007 governorship election. he wasn't stopped by anybody because the constitution does not prevent him from doing so.
Guy, the constitution is different from the reality. In as much as the constitution allows such, why has he (the Igbo man) never won outside his states Even an Ngwa man has not ruled abia state. Or has an Ijebu man ruled Osun state The constitution does not dictate the reality.
Btw, how come no other ethnic group in Nigeria says the "lagos is a no man's land" except the Ndigbo To me, it is very suspicious, to say the least. Why can we not allow things to happen naturally. During Jakande's era, when Igbos were at the peak of their game in Lagos, he made sure their was none in his cabinet. But when everyone was quiet, we have two Igbos in Lagos state's cabinet. Why can't we allow things to happen naturally instead of forcing it

Guy, this is my last response to this. I have to respect Honeric and stop derailing his thread. Andre knew what he was doing by popping up that question.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by tpia5: 2:58pm On Jul 04, 2011
@ topic

during the era of the pepper trade, who was lagos engaging in trade with - was it the portuguese?

Why is there relatively little information about this period.
Re: How Well Do You Know Lagos And Her History? by honeric01(m): 3:01pm On Jul 04, 2011
afam4eva:

He founded the Ahmadiyya Movement i think.

step1:

Anwar -Ul-Islam movement of Nigeria founded in 1916

http://www.anwarulislam.com/beginning.asp

You're both right, the former is the new name while the latter was the old name.

tpia@:

@ honeric01

the portuguese town called lagos was a shipping and slave port which also supplied many of the sailors who visited the gulf of guinea- lagos in particular.

Its not yet clear if lagos was also named for that town.

Well you're also not clear nor sure, so lets wait until we find someone with a clearer reason.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Commissions Road Projects In Zamfara (photos) / Even If Allegations Against Onnoghen Are True, CCB, Was Wrong … – Atiku / "It is null and void": Edison Ehie Faults Rivers Assembly's Overriding Of Fubara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.