Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,912 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Am I Raising A Spoilt Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Raising A Spoilt Child? (434 Views)

See How I Spoilt My Wife On Her Birthday. PHOTOS. / What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? / Is She The Most Spoilt Child In The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Am I Raising A Spoilt Child? by AMumAndMore(f): 4:06pm On Apr 04, 2022
✍� Are you raising a self sufficient kid?

I just heard a lady say to another lady "That child is too young to be doing that chore"

It blew my mind! Putting into consideration that the said child is aged about 7.

Did we forget that assigning chores to kids teaches them responsibility and improves on their self esteem?

Yes! it is imperative that as adults, we keep the ages of the kids in mind when assigning chores to ensure they are not overwhelmed. And while your children will likely need reminders to do their assigned work, setting the right tone from the beginning and maintaining it helps keep kids motivated and can prevent common conflicts.

Dear Mamma,

Getting started on kids chores does take a bit of up-front work. But if it’s approached with the right attitude and tone, kids are likely to take on household tasks with ease. And soon chores will simply be a normal part of your daily routine.

Hey Mamma,

Are at a loss at what age appropriate chore to assign to your child?

Then I've gotcha!

https://amumandmore.com/house-chores-for-children/

Dear Mamma,

At what age did you start assigning chores to your kids and how did they fall into the routine?

We'd love to know in the comment section.

Love, Laugh, Learn, Lead and Live Life to the Fullest.

Stay FabulousFabulous!

©️Viv

Re: Am I Raising A Spoilt Child? by Cousin9999: 8:27pm On Apr 04, 2022
As long as the parent isn't trying to dump their responsibilities on the child, there's nothing wrong with giving them age-appropriate little chores. But it should be seen more as teaching them life skills, and making them into healthy people, not just chores for "responsibility." For example, a 2 year old being taught to pick up toys and pack them away after playing. Another example, a 5 year old being a helper while you're cooking (e.g. get vegetables from the fridge, throw stuff away), and teaching them how to make things without requiring them to do real cooking labor (safety concerns). At 8, a kid is old enough to help do their laundry, cook basic things, and help a little more in the kitchen.

You don't want to raise a person that keeps a nasty house, can't cook themselves a decent meal, and thinks basic adult responsibilities are not their job or "hard." Even calling it "chores" contributes to a poor attitude. Kids are naturally curious and your behavior/attitude has strong influence. Feed curiosity, and model the right attitude.
Re: Am I Raising A Spoilt Child? by Kobojunkiee: 12:24am On Apr 05, 2022
Over the weekend, I watched a show on Netflix called Old Enough, a show about Japanese parents sending their toddlers on errands and I am convinced that it is appropriate to start kids to do appropriate chores really early as it helps them appropriately engage their minds and learn through very good problem solving skills early in life. undecided

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lady Dies Hours After Giving Birth To Quadruplets - She Has Been Barren For 7 Yr / Lady Flogged By Her Boyfriend In Kwara Requested They Should Not Jail Boyfriend / Marriages That Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.