Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,735 members, 7,813,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) (2308 Views)

Dr. Bukola Bello: Mum Who Went Back To School After 4 Kids, Graduates With A PhD / Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America / Oluwaseyi Ajibade: Third Class LASU Graduate, UNILAG Best Graduating PhD Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by Wesmichael: 12:39pm On Apr 06, 2022
I just finished my PhD few months ago, so the whole experience is still very fresh for me. Here is what I learned in summary:

You must be passionate about the process : Its a very long process, so If its not about passion, the whole process becomes a burden…so find out the basic driving force for pursuing the PhD in the first place to know if the reason is good enough to keep you going amidst the challenges that may come with it.

Find below Kostas Hatalis submission on quora

Research takes a lot of time.

1. Expect to spend months, if not years, on a single project.

Expect to work on multiple projects beyond your dissertation work.
Expect to spend 4–8 years doing the PhD.

2. Don’t do a PhD to check off the box that you got all your “degrees”.
A PhD is nothing like a bachelor or masters. It is not about taking courses.

It’s about proving to yourself, and to the world, you can do cutting edge novel research.

3. Pick the right advisor. This is far more important then picking a good school.

Your advisor is the one that will guide all your work. They should be as knowledgeable, approachable, and helpful as possible.

Some advisors are slave drivers, having meetings almost on a daily basis and piling more and more work on your desk. Others are ghosts, where you rarely ever see them.

Some advisors know nothing about your research interests, while others are the leading authorities on it.It is up to you to find the best advisor. They should equally impress you as you do them!

4. You will experience different types of failure and frustrations, learn from them and move on fast.

These include paper rejections, lack of research ideas, failed experiments, criticism about your work, self doubt, etc.

You will experience far more lows then highs in the PhD. What will set you apart from others to succeed and graduate one day is how you dealt with those lows to move forward.

5. Expect to work very independently.

You must define your own research agenda and goals.

This comes as a surprise to a LOT of new students who expect that their advisors will layout work schedules for them, defining every detail of what they should do. Most advisors don’t do this, it’s your responsibility.

Your advisor is there to mentor, not baby sit, you.

6. Do not expect that getting a PhD will make you financially rich.

The #1 question I get asked by new students is how much money could they make if they get a PhD. In some cases, it can be a big salary boost.

But in most cases you will make more money by working in industry for the time it takes you to get the PhD.

If your goal is to get rich, then the PhD is not for you.

7. In general, the PhD is not for most people, and that’s okay.

Doing a PhD is about a passion for science and research. It’s about sacrificing many years to pursue that passion. Most people don’t have that drive, and that’s okay!

For 99% of jobs in industry, you don’t need a PhD.

The main job prospects after graduating are becoming a professor or working in a research lab. These jobs are not for everyone, it’s about what you love doing.

8. You will at times work 7 days a week, 10–14 hours a day. I have even slept in my lab space over night several times. A PhD is demanding intellectually as well as emotionally and physically.

A PhD is a lot of work for very little pay. If you have family depending on you financially, this becomes a challenge.

You will suffer from imposter syndrome, but the truth is you don’t need to be a genius to do a PhD.

A lot of people think the PhD is only for very “intelligent” individuals. But almost anyone can do a PhD. It just requires an immense dedication.

Many students, when they start a PhD, will suffer from imposter syndrome. I did, and many of my friends did too! At first you will be scared, feeling completely lost at times.

This is natural, no one expects new students to really know much. Don’t be afraid to admit what you don’t know. Learn how to be a good learner: reach out to others, ask as many questions as you can!

9. Do not get bogged down in the academic race to outdo others.
As you progress your PhD, you will start feeling pressure to produce more quantity than quality. A lot of people start thinking they need to publish more and more to look better.

Focus on doing 1 high quality publication instead of 4 low quality ones.

Some students also start feeling competitive with other researchers in their field. Some competition is healthy, but it can quickly become a distraction.

Don’t focus on being better than others. Focus on being better than your past self. Improve your own work rather than outdoing someone else’s.

10. And finally, don’t forget to have a life outside your PhD!
A lot students get sucked so much into their work they forget their own health or that there’s an outside world.

Eat healthy, exercise, do yoga, meditate, whatever gives you a healthy mindset and body.

Have an active social life: volunteer for charity, go to community events, go on dates or spend time with your partner, visit family and friends. Surround your self with people who love you. They are the ones who are there to pick you up if you ever fall.

- Culled from a FUTA Alumnus

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by omis234: 1:04pm On Apr 06, 2022
Waoh! This is so timely for me. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by ITbomb(m): 3:23pm On Apr 06, 2022
I think 80% of the success of the program depends on the right supervisor / advisor
They can be mentor for life or monsters of life

4 Likes

Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by Nobody: 3:36pm On Apr 06, 2022
Wesmichael:

I just finished my PhD few months ago, so the whole experience is still very fresh for me. Here is what I learned in summary:

You must be passionate about the process : Its a very long process, so If its not about passion, the whole process becomes a burden…so find out the basic driving force for pursuing the PhD in the first place to know if the reason is good enough to keep you going amidst the challenges that may come with it.

It’s about proving to yourself, and to the world, you can do cutting edge novel research.

3. Pick the right advisor. This is far more important then picking a good school.

Your advisor is the one that will guide all your work. They should be as knowledgeable, approachable, and helpful as possible.

Some advisors are slave drivers, having meetings almost on a daily basis and piling more and more work on your desk. Others are ghosts, where you rarely ever see them.

Some advisors know nothing about your research interests, while others are the leading authorities on it.It is up to you to find the best advisor. They should equally impress you as you do them!

4. You will experience different types of failure and frustrations, learn from them and move on fast.

These include paper rejections, lack of research ideas, failed experiments, criticism about your work, self doubt, etc.

You will experience far more lows then highs in the PhD. What will set you apart from others to succeed and graduate one day is how you dealt with those lows to move forward.

This comes as a surprise to a LOT of new students who expect that their advisors will layout work schedules for them, defining every detail of what they should do. Most advisors don’t do this, it’s your responsibility.

The #1 question I get asked by new students is how much money could they make if they get a PhD. In some cases, it can be a big salary boost.

But in most cases you will make more money by working in industry for the time it takes you to get the PhD.

Doing a PhD is about a passion for science and research. It’s about sacrificing many years to pursue that passion. Most people don’t have that drive, and that’s okay!

The main job prospects after graduating are becoming a professor or working in a research lab. These jobs are not for everyone, it’s about what you love doing.

8. You will at times work 7 days a week, 10–14 hours a day. I have even slept in my lab space over night several times. A PhD is demanding intellectually as well as emotionally and physically.

A PhD is a lot of work for very little pay. If you have family depending on you financially, this becomes a challenge.

You will suffer from imposter syndrome, but the truth is you don’t need to be a genius to do a PhD.

A lot of people think the PhD is only for very “intelligent” individuals. But almost anyone can do a PhD. It just requires an immense dedication.

Many students, when they start a PhD, will suffer from imposter syndrome. I did, and many of my friends did too! At first you will be scared, feeling completely lost at times.

This is natural, no one expects new students to really know much. Don’t be afraid to admit what you don’t know. Learn how to be a good learner: reach out to others, ask as many questions as you can!

As you progress your PhD, you will start feeling pressure to produce more quantity than quality. A lot of people start thinking they need to publish more and more to look better.

Some students also start feeling competitive with other researchers in their field. Some competition is healthy, but it can quickly become a distraction.

Don’t focus on being better than others. Focus on being better than your past self. Improve your own work rather than outdoing someone else’s.

A lot students get sucked so much into their work they forget their own health or that there’s an outside world.

Eat healthy, exercise, do yoga, meditate, whatever gives you a healthy mindset and body.

Have an active social life: volunteer for charity, go to community events, go on dates or spend time with your partner, visit family and friends. Surround your self with people who love you. They are the ones who are there to pick you up if you ever fall.

Very wonderful pix
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by Visocrate(m): 4:35pm On Apr 06, 2022
After that you start answering a doctor
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by Nobody: 6:47pm On Apr 06, 2022
This information is very vital for nigerian students who thinks they'll finally make it in life AKA blow once they get a PhD, na only title wey you go dey answer shi shi you no go get, you fit get PhD still dey drive dangote truck, hunger fit finish you, you fit dey wear grandpapa trousers and bend bend boat mouth shoe.... las las school na scam you better go join mates enter HK

Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by dopedan(m): 8:18pm On Apr 06, 2022
Phd plus hunger omo yawa don gas, work smart like our fallen angel buhari no get waec look at where he is now, if ur phd is not to get cheques wats the essence? According to falz u hustle for one year me i made it on one endorsement
Wtf
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by jesmond3945: 8:49pm On Apr 06, 2022
ITbomb:
I think 80% of the success of the program depends on the right supervisor / advisor
They can be mentor for life or monsters of life
yes. If your supervisor is not supportive like mine did to me you would suffer.
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by MrHighSea: 8:54pm On Apr 06, 2022
Nigerian Universities should model the Phd like its BSc programmes regarding time frames.

In Bsc, I was sure if I pass all my courses and projects within stipulated time I'll graduate.
but,

In PhD and MSc, even to have a class depends on your lecturers and supervisors. To fix exam or defence na wahala. Upon self sponsorship. Due to money constraints, the fun part like travelling for conferences, conducting field research, opportunities to learn major softwares free/subsidized is not there.

Worse, the thoughts of graduating into a shitty job is demoralising. PhD holder in Federal University been paid 130k is pitiful.

With BSc, you can become anything. Manage, Supervise, Create.
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by Isokoboy(m): 10:27pm On Apr 06, 2022
Fp tins
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by LikeAking: 10:35pm On Apr 06, 2022
Ok, Nice one.

Op you go get better JOB and money with ur cert.

Just ans Amen.
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by ChemicalReaction(f): 11:49pm On Apr 06, 2022
Congratulations on your PhD, OP.

On a lighter note, this is rather discouraging and screams "Leave PhD for who gettam". grin grin
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by yuping(m): 12:30am On Apr 07, 2022
Wesmichael:

I , but the truth is you don’t need to be a genius to do a PhD.

s
This part are important to me.
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by duduade: 2:29am On Apr 07, 2022
Do you have a job OP

First sef you just come here talk talk plenty paragraphs

Very important points omittted

1. God and Favor foremost

2. A motivating Supervisor and Mentor

Without these two all those other things you listed won’t count!!!!
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by phemmyfour: 7:49am On Apr 07, 2022
Wesmichael:

No6 is the reason why many people are not interested in getting a PhD
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by DontBullshitMe: 8:18am On Apr 07, 2022
What's the benefit of a PhD only to die at 72?

What's the point really?
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by heniford2: 10:00am On Apr 07, 2022
PHD with no penny nothing nothing just prof 4 mouth na pure stupidity
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by edoairways: 1:09pm On Apr 07, 2022
Wesmichael your assertions are partially correct however it is generalistic. Some of the points made are applied to sciences not art and others. [i]If you are sound at master's level, PhD program might be easy[/i]
Re: A Phd Graduate Advises A New Phd Student (very Useful Advice) by stevejames1: 8:07am On Jan 06
As a PhD. graduate offering advice to new PhD. students, I emphasise the importance of academic integrity. Utilising an online plagiarism checker provided by assignment desks can be invaluable. It ensures that your research remains authentic and original. Embrace technology to safeguard your scholarly work, fostering a culture of honesty and originality. Trustworthy tools enhance your writing experience and uphold the academic standards we strive for. Remember, in the digital age, the power of an online plagiarism checker cannot be overstated. Safeguard your academic journey with this essential tool for integrity and success.

(1) (Reply)

A Cry From The Dungeons Of Yabatech / Is There Any Possibility, That There Will Be Secondlist In Abu Zaria Admission / When Is Your Exam Date,time And Name And Score If You Gotten Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.