Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

How Russia Rescued The Ruble - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / How Russia Rescued The Ruble (32524 Views)

War In Ukraine: How Russia Spied On A German General. / The Ruble Is Now The Worst-performing Emerging Market Currency Against The Dolla / Trump Salutes Soldiers Who Rescued An American Kidnapped In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by grandstar(m): 1:46pm On Apr 07, 2022
Svlla:
True

Latvia had just agreed to pay for gas with Ruoble, same with Hungary, Serbia, Turkey and Belarus if this continue and more EU joins to pay for gas in Rouble I believe it will strengthen the Rouble more

As for Rouble being the Potemkin currency, it depends on the Russian central bank and thier abilities also the Putin gamble of paying for gas with Rouble. If it works out then the Ruoble backed by gas and crude will definitely be a hard currency and several central bank in Europe, Japan, China and others will start stocking up a Rouble Reserve.

As for Russia gas supply in Europe, there's no immediate replacement of over 150BCM yearly of gas to Europe anywhere in the world.

To replace Russia gas with either the gas from US or building a pipeline from Qatar will mean these 3 things
1. There's someone somewhere not getting their gas and this may cause gas price to skyrocket.
2. Europe will have to pay more for American gas delivered to them in shipments from US, including logistics cost. Europe may have to pay up to 4times more for this gas. And still US won't be able to completely replace 150BCM of gas that EU gets from Russia
3. Gas infrastructure and pipeline from Qatar will take time to deliver and no matter the route, the nearly 7,000km gas pipeline will still encounter some encumbrances, and transit nations(Most likely Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Turkey, Central Europe nations) will be paid too.

GasRuoble may work, and it will for Russia and help their economy in the long run

modified
Current exchange
Dollar to Rouble 77
Euro to Rouble 83

This will not still stop the Russian economy from tanking.

Just like 1 + 1 =2 no matter how much differently you want it to go, these sanctions are going to devastate the Russian economy. As said, it is expected to contract by 8%. When you think that under Buhari, the worse contraction the economy has faced has not hit 3%, you can see the size of the problem.
Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by omohayek: 1:50pm On Apr 07, 2022
grandstar:

What injustice? Russian invades a sovereign country qandfd you celebrate it?

Did you know that Russia could have stopped Ukraine from joining NATO without firing a single shot? The invasion was totally unnecessary. Putin wanted more than he could chew and now he's paying a bitter price.

Stop using the phrase "Western slaves". It is bewildering that you support state controlled Russian media, a country with limited freedom of expression and where journalists and critics are murdered- including those living overseas?

The religious "harmony" in Russia which you highlight isn't the issue here. Chechnya, a Russia province which Russia bombed willy nilly is Muslim. The focus here is the injustice of invading a neighboring country simply because you're far more powerful.
The above is what I find most mystifying about those who applaud Putin's actions as a way of getting "revenge" against a supposedly anti-Muslim "West". It's either they are totally ignorant of just how brutal Putin's wars in Chechnya were, and how sweeping and harsh China's treatment of Xinjiang Muslims continues to be, or that what they object to isn't so much the systematic oppression and murder of Muslims per se, but that the oppressors happen to be "Western"; in other words, they think Russian and Chinese despotisms should be free to terrorize and kill as many Muslims as they like, as long as it makes Americans and other westerners upset.

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 1:53pm On Apr 07, 2022
Another hole in the sanctions is worth mentioning here: the sovereign debt carve-out. One of the biggest and most impactful sanctions on Russia was the freezing of its foreign accounts. Russia holds about $640 billion worth of euros, dollars, yen and other foreign currencies in banks around the world. About half that amount is located in the U.S. and Europe. The sanctions blocked Russia's access to that money, except when it comes to making the interest payments on its sovereign debt. The U.S. Treasury left a window open to allow financial intermediaries to process payments for Russia. That window is scheduled to close this month, but it has been a big help to Russia. Without it, Russia might have needed to raise dollars by selling rubles, which would have put downward pressure on the currency. And had it not been able to raise those dollars, it would have defaulted.

From the same article that many of you did not read because you are all headline readers..

The US allowed the rubble to remain relevant because they left open a loophole for Russia to pay their debt with seized funds and escape total collapse and default, but the US just took away that loophole so the calamity that Putin dodged is coming.

The US postponed the collapse of the rubble, but they just pulled the rug so if you are jubilating that the rubble is still relevant, be ready to cry for putin because the end is coming.

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by BlackBaron: 1:59pm On Apr 07, 2022
Artificial bubble, it's the same way our CBN exchange rate is quoted at a certain figure but the reality on ground is the reverse.

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 2:04pm On Apr 07, 2022
Russian borrowers can't keep paying interest rates of more than 20% for long, if they can even conceive of borrowing at that rate. Growth will be stifled — the Russian economy is already expected to contract by more than 8% this year — and industry will slump.

Russia is the world's biggest producer of natural gas, as well as the biggest exporter, but it's not the only source out there, and buyers of Russian gas could pivot to new suppliers. The U.S. is already sending shipments to Europe. There's talk about supply coming from the U.K., Norway, Qatar and Azerbaijan. Israel is mulling the idea of a pipeline. The countries that buy large amounts of Russian gas probably couldn't all wean themselves off it overnight, but if Russia insists on making this move, it risks turning one of its biggest revenue streams into a trickle. In short, the problem with creating a facade, as Russia has done with its currency, is not just that it might collapse — it might also collapse on you.

The only thing saving putin right now is Europe buying his oil, but that's only temporary because they are all securing energy deals in other countries.

Tricks and currency manipulation are just masking the pain and impending calamity that's coming like a freight train and, it's simple. economics.

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by InoGetJoy: 2:07pm On Apr 07, 2022
blackboy:
Yes, rescued the Ruble but lets be sincere give me the choice of Ruble or USD or even GBP or Euro the Russian Ruble will be the least of my choice and many of us.

Putin is evil. His invasion of Ukraine is a failure and has cost massive loss of lives. All because of his ego and greed and lust for power. What he has destroyed lives and properties is priceless.

I pray Nigeria's neighbours do not behave like Putin. If countries have issues let them learn to talk.

One leasson learnt is Nigeria and every country needs to have a strong army . Would Russia have invaded USA if USA was their neighbour or would Putin have invaded Ukraine if Ukraine was militarily strong? But e shock them.

Children have died. Let him fight USA or BRitain or even China because they offended him or a threat to him. He wont. Putin is a cowa
Lolz...you no even sabi anything about this war and you're busy ranting
Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by Nahunger(m): 2:07pm On Apr 07, 2022
Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by gambojimeta: 2:11pm On Apr 07, 2022
Svlla:
True

Latvia had just agreed to pay for gas with Ruoble, same with Hungary, Serbia, Turkey and Belarus if this continue and more EU joins to pay for gas in Rouble I believe it will strengthen the Rouble more

As for Rouble being the Potemkin currency, it depends on the Russian central bank and thier abilities also the Putin gamble of paying for gas with Rouble. If it works out then the Ruoble backed by gas and crude will definitely be a hard currency and several central bank in Europe, Japan, China and others will start stocking up a Rouble Reserve.

As for Russia gas supply in Europe, there's no immediate replacement of over 150BCM yearly of gas to Europe anywhere in the world.

To replace Russia gas with either the gas from US or building a pipeline from Qatar will mean these 3 things
1. There's someone somewhere not getting their gas and this may cause gas price to skyrocket.
2. Europe will have to pay more for American gas delivered to them in shipments from US, including logistics cost. Europe may have to pay up to 4times more for this gas. And still US won't be able to completely replace 150BCM of gas that EU gets from Russia
3. Gas infrastructure and pipeline from Qatar will take time to deliver and no matter the route, the nearly 7,000km gas pipeline will still encounter some encumbrances, and transit nations(Most likely Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Turkey, Central Europe nations) will be paid too.

GasRuoble may work, and it will for Russia and help their economy in the long run

modified
Current exchange
Dollar to Rouble 77
Euro to Rouble 83
Nairaland thrives on fake news

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by InoGetJoy: 2:14pm On Apr 07, 2022
like1:

There is no way he planned well, for sure he miscalculated. He didn't see it coming, now he is pausing and halting operations, to save Russia's economy first, save his seat and his country. He didn't calculate well enough. This is actually the game plan of the west, as they wouldn't want any physical war with any one, as everyone looses, even if you win your opponent and he/she surrenders.

So now he will be very busy replanning and rescheduling to save his economy first, then the physical war will be pending.

The west is definitely smarter, they know no one gains in war, this is what Putin should have done, tactically cripple Ukraine and achieve his aim, that any physical war in this century will be frowned at by all, especially in Europe.

Europeans get sense die and they like themselves too. Not like us wey we no even like ourselves and want our own good.
lolz......thes Europeans you're hailing miscalculated thoroughly. They never expected things will turn out this way even with their sanctions. Riots are breaking out in European cities around the world, but you wont see it on mainstream media. US of A that is pushing for more and more sanctions are buying Russian gas from the back and selling to Europe at an inflated rate. In the end, Russia will come out stronger
Lolz....learn to read between the lines

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by grandstar(m): 2:15pm On Apr 07, 2022
omohayek:

The above is what I find most mystifying about those who applaud Putin's actions as a way of getting "revenge" against a supposedly anti-Muslim "West". It's either they are totally ignorant of just how brutal Putin's wars in Chechnya were, and how sweeping and harsh China's treatment of Xinjiang Muslims continues to be, or that what they object to isn't so much the systematic oppression and murder of Muslims per se, but that the oppressors happen to be "Western"; in other words, they think Russian and Chinese despotisms should be free to terrorize and kill as many Muslims as they like, as long as it makes Americans and other westerners upset.

The vast majority of them are very shallow and believe that their anti-western stance and pro-Putin support paints them as intelligent, by seeing beyond what the Western media wants us to see.

We are the gullible ones, ready to swallow hook, line and sinker whatever the West wants us to believe.

Putin need not have a fired a shot if he did not want Ukraine to join NATO. To buttress my point, which nation will recognize Taiwan as a sovereign country? That's what China has long achieved, even in the days when it was desperately poor. I doubt there's any nation with a GDP of up to $1b that recognizes Taiwan as a country today.

2 Likes

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by grandlexuz(m): 2:32pm On Apr 07, 2022
blackboy:
Yes, rescued the Ruble but lets be sincere give me the choice of Ruble or USD or even GBP or Euro the Russian Ruble will be the least of my choice and many of us.

Putin is evil. His invasion of Ukraine is a failure and has cost massive loss of lives. All because of his ego and greed and lust for power. What he has destroyed lives and properties is priceless.

I pray Nigeria's neighbours do not behave like Putin. If countries have issues let them learn to talk.

One leasson learnt is Nigeria and every country needs to have a strong army . Would Russia have invaded USA if USA was their neighbour or would Putin have invaded Ukraine if Ukraine was militarily strong? But e shock them.

Children have died. Let him fight USA or BRitain or even China because they offended him or a threat to him. He wont. Putin is a cowa

You analysis should be let the Americans, Brits, etc attack Russia for attacking Ukraine. Do we now say the Western countries are cowards like Zelenksy tagged them
Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 2:33pm On Apr 07, 2022
UpLoyo:

Why bother helping their ignorance? These brain dead clowns were begging the US to help punish Nigeria during end sars. I wonder why they didn't call upon Russia. They have no concept of how sanctions works except their beer parlour analysis. A currency that's worth 10 cents grin

Many of them are unexposed to anything meaningful outside their villages so it's hard for them to comprehend what is going on.

Russia is in so much trouble that its only savior is the west and specifically the US.

When the US allowed Russia to make the first bond payment and avoid default, they thought Putin go see sense because of that gesture even though many inside and outside the US criticized the US for allowing Putin to dodge that economic calamity, but not anymore.

He can play all the tricks in the world with his bastardized rubble, but he can not dodge the calamity heading his way.

2 Likes

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 2:35pm On Apr 07, 2022
The pain is coming, just wait for it..... grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by bakar007: 2:37pm On Apr 07, 2022
Benny6944:

OP USA gave till 22nd of this month. why can't they buy?? any reason?
Officially the US has been Russian oil import for few weeks now

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 2:39pm On Apr 07, 2022
Sanctions neva bake in well well, the Moscow lunatic is already losing money and crying, just wait, the real crying and wailing is about to start...

He lost $3.6 Billion last month, imagine his loss this month, next month and 6 months from now when sanctions enter full swing... grin grin

Shey you no won learn, the West go force you to learn grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 2:40pm On Apr 07, 2022
bakar007:

Officially the US has been Russian oil import for few weeks now

If you mean BAN, you are wrong, not before April 22nd.

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by andy82: 2:45pm On Apr 07, 2022
God1000:
More sanctions are coming, the ruble isn't off the hook yet

Forget that thing. Which kin yeye sanctions. America buy 100000 barrels everyday from Russia and resell to Europe. No be Europe be the mumu.

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 2:49pm On Apr 07, 2022
andy82:

Forget that thing. Which kin yeye sanctions. America buy 100000 barrels everyday from Russia and resell to Europe. No be Europe be the mumu.

That ends April 22, less money going inside Putin's pocket starting 2 weeks from now.

Start crying for putin in advance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by bakar007: 2:52pm On Apr 07, 2022
plaindealer:

If you mean BAN, you are wrong, not before April 22nd.
Same US threatening to sanction India and others buying Russian crude is buying same and you re trying to defend what really?

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by pansophist(m): 3:00pm On Apr 07, 2022
Funflipper:

Now for the lovers of everything western, I will ask you on simple question. Please tell me how exactly has the west made your life good? I want to know.

I can drive at any time of the night feeling 100% safe because i know there are no armed robbers on the highway. My fundamental rights are 100% protected and can never be jailed for even insulting the president. I have the right to defend myself and my family so if an intruder breaks into my house, I will shoot that person to pieces but in naija, you are at the mercy of the intruders because the police will only show up (that is if they even do) when they are done raping people's wives and daughters in their presence. We can go on and on but we have other things to do but in summary; If i didn't cross over, I would have been marooned in Hell (Nigeria) with all the restrictions coupled with insecurity. Life is good when you are in the right place.

Mtcheew. Smh

Are you enjoying these rights in Nigeria or in the west? Please read to understand, not read to respond. Besides, those rights are an illusion, as long as you do not threatened the powers that be.

3 Likes

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 3:00pm On Apr 07, 2022
bakar007:

Same US threatening to sanction India and others buying Russian crude is buying same and you re trying to defend what really?

Keep crying, just save some tears for your oga putin because he needs a lot of tears and buckets to cry inside,, grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by adamusuleiman1: 3:07pm On Apr 07, 2022
andy82:

You are not current with the news.
Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 3:09pm On Apr 07, 2022
adamusuleiman1:

You are not current with the news.

...but they are the loudest.
Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by Juleeee: 3:16pm On Apr 07, 2022
Brendaniel:
Do not underestimate a man who doesn't talk much...

Funny but true.
Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 3:20pm On Apr 07, 2022
Now, the real pain and long-term damage to the Russian oil economy is the total ban relating to oil and gas investments, we are talking about billions of dollars of investment money, now it's all gone.

Even China pulled out because China sef is sacred of western sanctions.

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 3:23pm On Apr 07, 2022
This is another major ban .....

Oil money that putin is temporarily collecting can not stop the bleeding because other areas of his economy and foundation are crumbling very fast..

1 Like

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by Horus(m): 3:25pm On Apr 07, 2022
UpLoyo:
[s][/s]

Go and tell your father now. He can buy Rubles now with his pension and you can have some inheritance of $13 when the time comes.

Only fools duck when truth is thrown at them grin
Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by Holaomoakin(m): 3:29pm On Apr 07, 2022
Aftermath nko? Do me I do same!
Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by Horus(m): 3:33pm On Apr 07, 2022
US : Sanctions will drag Russia economy to 15 years back....
Russia : What sanctions? “Hahahahahahahaha !!!

2 Likes

Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by digitite: 3:34pm On Apr 07, 2022
Currency Speculators made money in the difference of 55rubles.
Which Country is next ?
Re: How Russia Rescued The Ruble by plaindealer: 3:35pm On Apr 07, 2022
putin don suffer sha..

This is just the beginning, shey you no won learn, you go learn by force. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Joe Biden: Details Of The 17 Executive Order / ECOWAS Issues Last Warning To President Jammeh Ahead Of Barrow's Swear-in / Xi Jinping Is Suffering From Cerebral Aneurysm - Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.