Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Chicago Cubs Defeats Brewers 5-4 On The Opening Day Encounter - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chicago Cubs Defeats Brewers 5-4 On The Opening Day Encounter (121 Views)

2023/24 Premier League Opening Day Fixtures / Nigeria Vs Cote D’Ivoire: WAFU Women's Cup Finals (5 - 4) Penalty (Full Time) / Photos From The Opening Ceremony Of African Athletic Championship In Asaba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Chicago Cubs Defeats Brewers 5-4 On The Opening Day Encounter by candace128: 4:58pm On Apr 08, 2022
David Ross, the manager of the Chicago Cubs, stormed into the postgame news conference room, ready to field a question before answering his own.

Ross, delighted, inquired, “Who has Nico in the first-homer pool?”

Despite the cold weather on opening day versus the Milwaukee Brewers at Wrigley Field, Ross had plenty of reasons to smile. Kyle Hendricks wanted to start things off right, so he put up a vintage performance. Corbin Burnes, the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner, was knocked out of the game after the fifth inning thanks to Nico Hoerner’s go-ahead two-run homer.

In front of 35,112 fans, the Cubs did enough against Burnes and the Brewers bullpen to win 5-4. In his Cubs debut, David Robertson earned the save.

Despite the fact that it is only one game in a lengthy, six-month season, opening day feels different whether it is a player’s first or sixth, as it is for catcher Willson Contreras. He said it gave him chills to think about Thursday being his sixth consecutive opening day with the team. The approaching free agent brought his entire family to Wrigley Field for the game, which he described as an emotional occasion.

“I was almost crying when I stepped out there,” Contreras added. “This site holds such a particular place in my heart for me.”

The ambiguity surrounding Contreras’ role in the Cubs’ future hovers large over the season’s long-term consequences. The Cubs, too, must figure out which guys can be more than simply a stopgap until they can build a championship-caliber squad. Hoerner and Nick Madrigal have a chance to prove that they are key components of the future. They bring a contact-hitting element to the table that was sorely lacking last season. Both players will have to overcome their injury histories and establish themselves as a consistent presence in the lineup.

It would be a good complement to Hoerner’s game if he could get some pop out of his bat.

“Of course, everyone wants to hit more home runs, and that’s something I can help with,” Hoerner said. “It’s not something I can force, but it will happen over time.”

Hoerner hit the first home run of the season, both for the Cubs and for Major League Baseball as a whole. His two-run blast was his first in 324 plate appearances, dating back to Sept. 21, 2019. Hoerner had gone 93 games without hitting a home run, which was the fifth-longest stretch by an active position player. He was aware of how long his home-run drought had lasted, but it wasn’t on his mind.

To hit the Cubs’ first home run, Hoerner said, “a lot of things have to match together.” “I’ll have to consult Ian Happ on how to deal with the publicity.”

In 2018, Happ hit the first home run in MLB. While he didn’t hit a home run on Thursday, his three-hit game, which included two doubles, was a nice sight after a difficult first half in 2021, during which he didn’t have a multihit game until May 2. After the Brewers knotted the game in the top of the seventh, Happ’s two-run double put the Cubs back in front.

Hendricks put the Cubs in a good position to win Game 1.

Hendricks, who is coming off a career-worst season, stated during spring training that he had a lot to prove. In his season debut, the veteran delivered. Hendricks, who had a changeup that consistently confused Brewers batters, left with the lead after 51/3 innings, striking out seven batters, walking three, and allowing only one run.

He regularly maintained his fastball command down in the zone during his spring outings, something he mostly concentrated on. Hendricks was happy with how he performed.

“My changeup played off of a lot of excellent curveballs at the proper times,” Hendricks said. “Overall, really good at being aggressive and establishing the tone.” “I’d still like to improve: a leadoff walk, a 0-2 hit batter, and yet another terrible walk.” All I have to do now is clean up those three items.

“It’s something I can definitely grow on.”

Hendricks’ changeup resulted in 13 strikeouts, the most he’s had on the mound since July 9, 2018. (also 13). Hendricks, who had a short spring, gave the Cubs precisely what they needed.

Burnes held the Cubs attack at bay for four innings, allowing only one hit. With four straight balls in play in the fifth, they eventually broke through.

With a single to left field, Seiya Suzuki got his first big-league hit and demonstrated his knowledge with heads-up base running. When the Brewers couldn’t make a play on a popup from Jason Heyward’s bat near second base, it went for a hit. Suzuki sprinted from first to third on the play, scoring the Cubs’ first run on a sacrifice fly by Patrick Wisdom.

Suzuki said through a translator, “I (was) just looking out for the wind, but what I was thinking in that moment was attempting to advance bases, and that’s what I was able to do.”

Suzuki, who batted sixth, went 1-for-2 with two walks and a strikeout in his Major League Baseball debut.

Suzuki added, “I was overjoyed to see everyone wearing my shirt.” “However, I need to achieve those results in order to meet those expectations.” As a result, I’d like to continue working.”

On April 7, 2022, fans flock to Wrigley Field for the Cubs’ season opener.

(1) (Reply)

EPL Top 4 Battle: Manchester United Vs Chelsea FC / Real Madrid Vs Manchester City 8pm Today / Lukaku Has A Chelsea Future And Could Start Against Wolves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.