Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,052 members, 7,821,626 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? (859 Views)

Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination / My First Experience With Racism / My Encounter With Racism In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by AllKnowing: 8:44pm On Apr 08, 2022
To our Nigeria peeps abroad, what is your personal template for handling racism at work/ school, in Church/ parties, and on the streets?!

cc: justwise
Lalasticlala
Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:55pm On Apr 08, 2022
so long as it doesnt stop you from living your life the way you see fit, ignore it...plain and simple.

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by ednut1(m): 8:56pm On Apr 08, 2022
Same way you deal with tribalism here

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by TheMan3: 9:05pm On Apr 08, 2022
Kingozymandias:
Charity begins at home.. this trash should have been how do you personally deal with tribalism.

tribalism and racism is same spirit.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by Cousin9999: 9:08pm On Apr 08, 2022
Legal system.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by kennethfranc(m): 11:18pm On Apr 08, 2022
Make I Japa-nese fess

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by meobizy(f): 11:28pm On Apr 08, 2022
I’m in London visiting. The most racist people here are your very own Nigerians. Once a Nigerian doorman sees you he’ll start trying to form getting rid of pests to satisfy white employers. As a younger person it affected me for a day but now their actions don’t phase me. I realize they live a bottom of the barrel life here with worse living conditions back home. At least I will go back to live in luxury and disregard their meager existence.

Indians? Those liverless clowns can’t look me in the face. I hear they racially abuse older black women. Here any young person will spark back at them, sending the idiot cowering.

Bottom of the barrel whites show themselves only in other locales. The ones in London are used to having blacks around. I distance myself from racist whites or try to make fun of them, however now I don’t have the time. If anyone tries nonsense, I’ll just yell “I’m from Oxley” to quiet them.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by AllKnowing: 12:19am On Apr 09, 2022
meobizy:
I’m in London visiting. The most racist people here are your very own Nigerians. Once a Nigerian doorman sees you he’ll start trying to form getting rid of pests to satisfy white employers. As a younger person it affected me for a day but now their actions don’t phase me. I realize they live a bottom of the barrel life here with worse living conditions back home. At least I will go back to live in luxury and disregard their meager existence.

Indians? Those liverless clowns can’t look me in the face. I hear they racially abuse older black women. Here any young person will spark back at them, sending the idiot cowering.

Bottom of the barrel whites show themselves only in other locales. The ones in London are used to having blacks around. I distance myself from racist whites or try to make fun of them, however now I don’t have the time. If anyone tries nonsense, I’ll just yell “I’m from Oxley” to quiet them.

Google didn’t give me much to go by. What does this [Oxley] mean?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by dasparrow: 2:42am On Apr 09, 2022
AllKnowing:
To our Nigeria peeps abroad, what is your personal template for handling racism at work/ school, in Church/ parties, and on the streets?!

Lalasticlala

Nowadays, I don't let it bother me. I just see racists as miserable human beings who have mental health issues and low self esteem. I also avoid them like the plague that they are since racist people are toxic anyway. I have boycotted businesses that are racist. In other words, I don't shop in them. I have stopped going to churches that have a persistent problem with bigotry.

If the racist happens to be an employer, start prayerfully looking for another job. If the racist is a classmate, avoid them as much as possible if you can. Don't move into racist neighborhoods. If a racist approaches you and starts to talk nonsense, you can either ignore them and keep walking or respond and give them a piece of your mind. It all depends on the situation. You just have to use wisdom. Ideally, don't move to a very racist country to begin with to avoid stories that touch.

8 Likes

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by meobizy(f): 5:11am On Apr 09, 2022
AllKnowing:

Google didn’t give me much to go by. What does this [Oxley] mean?
Take am as you see am.
Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by TheManOfTheYear: 10:39am On Apr 09, 2022
meobizy:
Take am as you see am.
Explaining wouldn't take anything away from you though.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by meobizy(f): 10:53am On Apr 09, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Explaining wouldn't take anything away from you though.
No Time.
Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by TheManOfTheYear: 11:22am On Apr 09, 2022
meobizy:
No Time.
I don't care anymore.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Apr 09, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
I don't care anymore.
I don't think she's anywhere near UK free her grin
Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by TheManOfTheYear: 4:58pm On Apr 09, 2022
leody:

I don't think she's anywhere near UK free her grin
I swear. Just coming here to drop lies

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by AllKnowing: 11:11pm On Apr 09, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
I swear. Just coming here to drop lies

90% of the Nigerian population are Billionaires on nairaland

1 Like

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by sharpman1(m): 4:09am On Apr 10, 2022
AllKnowing:

Lalasticlala

I have NEVER personally experienced racism. However, I experienced lots of tribalism when I was in Nigeria.
Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by Originalsly: 4:20pm On Apr 10, 2022
Confront it when it shows up. It is largely subtle racism because one can easily be in legal trouble if open... as in calling one Black.... nigger.... etc. Confrontation as in going in a store and they single you out to basically ask why you there... what you want.... while others just storm in. Browsing would be my response ... but yet they will block you.. What are you trying to get?.... Nothing in particular... browsing... can you excuse me? .... which they will because the company can be answering in court as to why I was not allowed in and others were. They would then closely follow you around and to that I would react according to my mood...If I need your help I'll let you know...... I do not need a shopping assistant/personal guard....do you mind? ..... walk to a far end of the store to draw the worker away from her post..... or wall fast suddenly stop and turn around hitting the person in the process.
At the workplace... take note of what the person/management says/does... the date.... after a string of similar actions and having enough evidence to show a pattern .... contact EEO .... a Federal agency that investigates such practices. To those that say I'm just at work for the money... not to make trouble.... must think about why you have the job in the first place and segregation would be still in place if it were for people like yourself... not standing up for your rights and make the next generation face less racism.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Personally Deal With Racism? by AllKnowing: 8:50am On Apr 23, 2022
ednut1:
Same way you deal with tribalism here

No lies! Tribalism in Nigeria is a topic for another day.

(1) (Reply)

URGENT !!!! Canada School Study Fees Payment / British Embassy And Old Passport / I Want To Verify H-2b Visa Which Is Issue From Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.