Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,463 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

We Are Made In God's Image: How? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / We Are Made In God's Image: How? (2294 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / God Created Man In His Own Image, How True Is This Statement? / Let Us Make Man In Our Image, How Many Were They (god) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Are Made In God's Image: How? by doyenn(m): 2:26pm On Aug 06, 2007
Let's start in giving ourselves the benefit of being a Nairaland user.On this religion thread I would like to talk about little on this religion so that people shld please take this as lessons and not arguments.I want us to be reasonable in whatever question one need to ask and also know that there is no question that does not have an answer.

I would begin by asking us "WHAT DO WE REALLY KNOW ABOUT OURSELVES" or WHAT IS A HUMAN BEING THAT MADE GOD REFERRED TO US AS BEING MADE IN HIS IMAGE". After going through this we would learn one thing or the other that would definitly change our old ways.

This is question one and I want us to say whatever we may understand about it.There is no creature or existence without reasons.

I would tag this as question 1
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Seun(m): 2:50pm On Aug 06, 2007
Correction:
Only we men are in the image of God. Women are made in the image of man, that is why they are inferior and need male ownership. This thread is an insult to my manhood. After all, God is not a woman!! tongue
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Aproko(f): 10:19pm On Aug 06, 2007
God is not a man either. wink
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Seun(m): 11:18pm On Aug 06, 2007
If He is not a man, then why did his Son (not Daughter o) come in the form of a Man? tongue
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Ldales(m): 9:05am On Aug 07, 2007
The bible never categorically state that God is neither man nor woman.God is just God, whether u fink he is male or female is inconsequential, he remains God.

Now talking bou image, if you read the bible from Genesis properly, u get to understand this.that being made in Gods image means(guess we all know he created us) we have his abilities, we can decree, command, change situations just like him,, we are spirit beings living in a body, thats what it simply menas.

God Bless You

Kind Regards
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by otuwe(f): 10:33am On Aug 07, 2007
Seun:

If He is not a man, then why did his Son (not Daughter o) come in the form of a Man? tongue

u are a child seun. in fact u are worse dan a child. in fact u have no consciousness at all. its only ur brain dats keeping u here on earth. hope it doesnt become too late wen u drop the body with the brain
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by obanikoro2(m): 11:54am On Aug 07, 2007
otuwe:

u are a child seun. in fact u are worse dan a child. in fact u have no consciousness at all. its only your brain that is keeping u here on earth. hope it doesnt become too late when u drop the body with the brain

was that not too harsh?
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by eclear(m): 2:03pm On Aug 07, 2007
Man is a spirit, has a soul and lives in a body. And it will interest you to know that God is a spirit. What God did during creation was to use a body to cloth man who is a spirit.
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by otuwe(f): 2:50pm On Aug 07, 2007
obanikoro2:

was that not too harsh?

my apologies. . undecided

eclear:

Man is a spirit, has a soul and lives in a body. And it will interest you to know that God is a spirit. What God did during creation was to use a body to cloth man who is a spirit.

God is Divine.
the primordial beings were created in the likeness of God.

wat u see now is not the creation talked about in the bible.

this is subsequent creation. it was developed not created.
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Kuns: 6:58pm On Aug 07, 2007
@ALL

Now, if we remove God out of the situation, they’ll call you the Devil, and you say (the) Devil is in the Bible as something that God brings. He created the Devil as the subtle and most shrewd beast of the field (Genesis 3:1). Thus, the Devil was smarter than Adam and Eve.

If God created humans in the image and after the likeness of God. And we think, feel, smell, and talk like God. Then, he created the Devil and made him the shrewdest, subtlest beast of the field? He was (even) able to beguile Adam and Eve.

That only leaves us under the impression that the Devil is a shrewder creature than God. The Devil was able to beguile Adam and Eve who thinks like God. Se he must be able to beguile God also.
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by doyenn(m): 5:51pm On Aug 09, 2007
I wld like to come in a little bit here,it's only we(creatures) that has male & female,trees,birds,anyth that can produce another life of its kinds or bring out something by being combine.God does not belong to this group and so he does not possess any of our xteristics.

think of any thing that man does,God doesnt do any because he's being existing b4 those thing were created or existed. God is God and nothing else.It's a mysery and it's only some people that has the priviledge to know him well.

There is a verse that satan said,the only verse that he believed is where God said,he's not predictable
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Seun(m): 8:39pm On Aug 09, 2007
If God is not a man, then why where all the books of the bible written by men? Why do Christians worship Jesus, who came in the form of a man? Why is there no single female prophet in the entire bible (out of so many), and only one female judge? Why is childbirth the greatest achievement by a woman in the bible? Why is God the Father and not the Mother? Why is Jesus the Son and not the Daughter? Why is the Holy Spirit not a 'Spiritess'? What a male religion!

Ok, so maybe God is not a man, but you can't deny that God was created in the image of man or vice versa!!!!
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by pilgrim1(f): 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2007
Seun:

Why is there no single female prophet in the entire bible (out of so many), and only one female judge?

O jibijibijibi!! I'm so busy just now, but I can't let that one pass O! shocked

Seun, no let me start on you O! grin Even though the masculine term for those gifted with the prophetic office is 'prophet', the feminine term ( or, 'female prophet') is a 'prophet[u]ess[/u]', no be so? Ahh. . . dem plenty brekete for Bible naw, lol.

And before the male folks decend on me, let me say this big, up and straight. The one reason why (IMHO) the qualifiers always have to follow the male (or masculine) terms in describing certain subjects is because the answer was already given right from the beginning: "It is not good that the man should be alone" (Gen. 2:18). There! Because of una loneliness na im make baba God introduce us women folk to your common existence! tongue

So brace up and let me explain further:

If you leave the man ALONE in his loneliness to run the affairs of the world, una for don wipe una selves out before we arrive. Take for example, the word "prophet" (masculine). It takes an -ess to remove the loneliness o jare! And what does -ess stand for? Food for thought. . . it simply means 'e[/b]ssentially [b]s[/b]uitable [b]s[/b]ustainers'! O yes jare! You wan vex?!? Haa. . you can't beat that O, so no even try! tongue

Seun:

Ok, so maybe God is not a man, but you can't deny that God was created in the image of man or vice versa!!!!

Oohh. . . somebody call the fire department for this guy O! shocked You see why you need the -[b]ess
in your life? Come close, oga Seun. . just come close - it was not a case of vice versa! Man made in God's image. QED. When we came through, you were made to fall into a deep sleep - and we saw everything! Guess who woke you up? gringrin
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Purist(m): 9:35pm On Aug 09, 2007
Seun:

If God is not a man, then why where all the books of the bible written by men? Why do Christians worship Jesus, who came in the form of a man? Why is there no single female prophet in the entire bible (out of so many), and only one female judge? Why is childbirth the greatest achievement by a woman in the bible? Why is God the Father and not the Mother? Why is Jesus the Son and not the Daughter? Why is the Holy Spirit not a 'Spiritess'? What a male religion!

Nature, my friend; nature! Perhaps, someone will soon come along to label God a chauvinist for making the male animals dominate in their individual classes.
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by pilgrim1(f): 9:43pm On Aug 09, 2007
Purist:

Nature, my friend; nature! Perhaps, someone will soon come along to label God a chauvinist for making the male animals dominate in their individual classes.

Not all male animals 'dominate' in their individual classes. Have you seen cats in their social relations? undecided
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Purist(m): 10:07pm On Aug 09, 2007
No I haven't. Mind lecturing me?
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by pilgrim1(f): 10:11pm On Aug 09, 2007
Okay, check it out first, then mirror your findings against your assertions - it will become clear. wink
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by PTH(m): 10:32pm On Aug 09, 2007
Seun:

Why is there no single female prophet in the entire bible (out of so many), and only one female judge?

Exodus 15:20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.

Judges 4:4 And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.

2 Kings 22:14 So Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam, and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asahiah, went unto Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the collegewink and they communed with her.

Nehemiah 6:14 My God, think thou upon Tobiah and Sanballat according to these their works, and on the prophetess Noadiah, and the rest of the prophets, that would have put me in fear.

Luke 2:36 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Purist(m): 10:39pm On Aug 09, 2007
pilgrim.1:

Okay, check it out first, then mirror your findings against your assertions - it will become clear. wink

Hey! Do you mean wild cats or the domestic ones?  Can you please give me a link to read through?  Don't mind me, I'm too lazy to search right now. lipsrsealed

And while we're at that, allow me to rephrase my initial statement.

==
==
Nature, my friend; nature!  Perhaps, someone will soon come along to label God a chauvinist for making the males generally stronger than females.

Hope I got this one right. grin
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by TayoD(m): 10:45pm On Aug 09, 2007
@topic,

While Seun might not realise, he said something that I believe is closer to the truth than most people will like to even consider as truth. I know a lot of people will ask questions, but I trust I can provide the proof from the scriptures that God is indeed a MAN. Before y'all begin to chop off my head, let me state categorically that by declaring God to be a man, I am not in any way saying that God is male, nor declaring Him to be female.

So the question is what is a man? A man by biblical definition is a "whole", while a woman is a "part". God is whole and not a part, and He can by that definition be refered to as man. And really from scriptures, we will see that not every male can be refered to as a man, only a married male is technically a man, because he now becomes the whole while his wife is the part.

This ties in very well with the topic being discussed. What exactly is God's image? Apostle Paul declares that simply in 2 Corinthians 4:4 the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. In other words, the image of God is Christ. So when God was thinking of creating man, what He had in mind was Christ, and that is why He created marriage which is the physical union that represents what Christ is all about.

Well, I guess I have provided enough food for thought, I'll continue from here later on.
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by jerrymania(m): 10:54pm On Aug 09, 2007
TayoD:

@topic,

While Seun might not realise, he said something that I believe is closer to the truth than most people will like to even consider as truth. I know a lot of people will ask questions, but I trust I can provide the proof from the scriptures that God is indeed a MAN. Before y'all begin to chop off my head, let me state categorically that by declaring God to be a man, I am not in any way saying that God is male, nor declaring Him to be female.

So the question is what is a man? A man by biblical definition is a "whole", while a woman is a "part". God is whole and not a part, and He can by that definition be refered to as man. And really from scriptures, we will see that not every male can be refered to as a man, only a married male is technically a man, because he now becomes the whole while his wife is the part.

This ties in very well with the topic being discussed. What exactly is God's image? Apostle Paul declares that simply in 2 Corinthians 4:4 the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. In other words, the image of God is Christ. So when God was thinking of creating man, what He had in mind was Christ, and that is why He created marriage which is the physical union that represents what Christ is all about.

Well, I guess I have provided enough food for thought, I'll continue from here later on.

Wisdom of Man!
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by PTH(m): 10:57pm On Aug 09, 2007
jerrymania:

Wisdom of Man!

Really? grin

@ TayoD, while i have always seen God as a man i dont think we can entirely define him in human terms as either male or female. Remember that Christ said that when we get to heaven we shall be as the angels who are neither male nor female.
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by TayoD(m): 11:09pm On Aug 09, 2007
@PTH,

@ TayoD, while i have always seen God as a man i don't think we can entirely define him in human terms as either male or female. Remember that Christ said that when we get to heaven we shall be as the angels who are neither male nor female.
You are right. God is neither a male nor female. I thought I made that clear in my write-up. The distinguishing features between a male and a female are in the flesh and not the spirit. And if God is spirit, He can never be defined in terms of beign male or female, becuase these are artributes found only in the flesh.
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by PTH(m): 11:11pm On Aug 09, 2007
ok tayo, just reread your write up again. got ur point.
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Aug 09, 2007
Seun, Jesus isn't the son of god but the son of a carpenter and his adulterous wife.

Mary got pregnant out of wedlock and this was going to seriously damage the image of the so called son of god so they had to bring in the holy spirit.

Great solution, isn't it? Not only they saved Mary's reputation, but they also attributed divine features to a man, jewish to be precise and also married.

Jesus has never seen god so he can't be used as a reference to determine his sex. Anyway i don't know why you all are arguing. Since man is head over the woman, what logic has a female god got?
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by PTH(m): 11:49pm On Aug 09, 2007
michelin, your rabid response is best ignored.
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Aug 09, 2007
PTH:

michelin, your rabid response is best ignored.

Just like you xtians have ignored the truth all this while.
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by PTH(m): 11:55pm On Aug 09, 2007
michelin89:

Just like you xtians have ignored the truth all this while.

what "truth" have we ignored? care to remind us again?
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by CrazyMan(m): 11:56pm On Aug 09, 2007
@michelin89

Take it easy and stop this blasphemy. God doesn’t tolerate it when someone blasphemes against the Holy Spirit.
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by marlet01(m): 3:54am On Aug 10, 2007
PTH:

I wonder O!
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 10, 2007
crazykid:

@michelin89

Take it easy and stop this blasphemy. God doesn’t tolerate it when someone blasphemes against the Holy Spirit.

Blasphemes against non existent entities?

There is nothing like spirits talkless of a holy spirit.

PTH:

First of all that Jesus isn't the son of god but just a human like you and I. He taught about the word of god and when he identified himself as a child of god it was in the same way xtians now call themselves children of god.

The muslims are right when they say there is nothing didvine in Christ's nature.

And it's absurd people believe in a virginal birth!
Re: We Are Made In God's Image: How? by viee(f): 12:21pm On Aug 10, 2007
michelin89:

Seun, Jesus isn't the son of god but the son of a carpenter and his adulterous wife.

Mary got pregnant out of wedlock and this was going to seriously damage the image of the so called son of god so they had to bring in the holy spirit.

Great solution, isn't it? Not only they saved Mary's reputation, but they also attributed divine features to a man, jewish to be precise and also married.

Jesus has never seen god so he can't be used as a reference to determine his sex. Anyway i don't know why you all are arguing. Since man is head over the woman, what logic has a female god got?

michelin89:

Blasphemes against non existent entities?

There is nothing like spirits talkless of a holy spirit.

First of all that Jesus isn't the son of god but just a human like you and I. He taught about the word of god and when he identified himself as a child of god it was in the same way xtians now call themselves children of god.

The muslims are right when they say there is nothing didvine in Christ's nature.

And it's absurd people believe in a virginal birth!

im already praying for YOU. smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Parents Wants To Hear God's Voice Before I Marry / A History Of God. / Mrs Fish And Illuminati

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.