Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,175 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana (325 Views)

May 29 And June 12 Declared As Public Holidays / FG Declares Public Holidays To Celebrate 2018 Eid-El-Kabir / FG Declares Friday, Monday Public Holidays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by ENGINEERG(m): 1:26pm On Apr 10, 2022
Traditional worshippers also deserve public holidays –Falana

Human rights lawyer, Mr Femi Falana, SAN, has said traditional worshippers across the country also deserve to have public holidays. He noted that they were covered by the constitution like other religions practised in Nigeria.

He disclosed this on Saturday during the orientation and inauguration of traditional worshipers, under the aegis of ‘Ijo Babalawo Onifa of Egbaland’, held at the Valley View Government House in Abeokuta, Ogun State.

Falana explained that under the Nigerian constitution, particularly section 38, there is freedom of religion of conscience.

He noted, “You have the right to worship God or not to worship God at all. You have the right to be a Christian, a Muslim or a traditionalist. But whatever you do, you must respect the rights of other citizens in the country.

“By virtue of Section 10 of the constitution, the government shall not adopt any religion as official religion. So, the government is required to be neutral while recognising the rights of each individual to worship the God they believe in. You are also entitled to public holidays just like those influenced by the Christians and Muslims.”

He, however, cautioned the traditionalists to instill respect by distancing themselves from criminal elements.

He added, “I have made it clear to the members of this organisation that as a lawyer, our experience is that when armed robbery suspects are arrested, they claim that they have been fortified by some Babalawo.

“When you arrest a ritual murder suspect, he also claims he has a Babalawo behind him. Ditto for armed robbers and other criminal elements in the society. I am, therefore, challenging the members of this organisation to as much as possible distance themselves from such criminal elements. That is the only way to be respected by the society and the government.”

SIURCE:
https://punchng.com/traditional-worshippers-also-deserve-public-holidays-falana/?amp

Copyright PUNCH.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 10, 2022
Does it mean that there are people who worship tradition? undecided
Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by LordIsaac(m): 1:30pm On Apr 10, 2022
Ogun, Ahmadioha and Sango shall be pleased with this submission grin
Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by dollynnn(f): 1:30pm On Apr 10, 2022
We have more pressing issues to deal with
Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by MadamVanessa(f): 1:33pm On Apr 10, 2022
shocked

Yes

Traditional worshippers like us deserve public holidays too. I am unapologetic traditionalist.
Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by ENGINEERG(m): 1:34pm On Apr 10, 2022
So many people worship it...Even Most people are just pretending to be Christian or Muslim they are traditionalist...And 80% of our political leaders are using traditional power too....Africans are just hypocrite....most yahoo boys and kayamata ladies are also traditional ist
Blablamalala:
Does it mean that there are people who worship tradition? undecided
Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by ENGINEERG(m): 1:38pm On Apr 10, 2022
Exactly, a time will come that Buddhist , Shintoist, Hinduism will demand for holiday too...
dollynnn:
We have more pressing issues to deal with
Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by Nobody: 1:39pm On Apr 10, 2022
ENGINEERG:
So many people worship it...Even Most people are just pretending to be Christian or Muslim they are traditionalist...And 80% of our political leaders are using traditional power too....Africans are just hypocrite....most yahoo boys and kayamata ladies are also traditional ist

Hmm I see so people actually worship tradition. I thought people worship Sango, Ogun and so many more. Engineerg so how do we engineer a particular day of the year for all of them without ending up causing casala.
Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by descarado: 1:43pm On Apr 10, 2022
Supported 100% kiss

1 Like

Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by ENGINEERG(m): 5:25pm On Apr 10, 2022
They suppose have a body too, so they can resolve that
Blablamalala:

Hmm I see so people actually worship tradition. I thought people worship Sango, Ogun and so many more. Engineerg so how do we engineer a particular day of the year for all of them without ending up causing casala.
Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 10, 2022
ENGINEERG:
They suppose have a body too, so they can resolve that

grin I rest my case.
Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 10, 2022
It's right abt time
I totally support this, cos how will we forsake our culture and practices as a black man and African and give special treatment to a white man culture and practice yet we are one of the most backward nation's on Earth!!!

So pathetic cry
Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by MrSensor(m): 5:46pm On Apr 10, 2022
ENGINEERG:
Exactly, a time will come that Buddhist , Shintoist, Hinduism will demand for holiday too...
if it happens everyday will end up being a holiday.
Re: Traditional Worshippers Also Deserve Public Holidays –falana by Perfectbeing(m): 6:26pm On Apr 10, 2022
There are probably traditions that have their days of worship on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.. So should all the days of the week be made a public holiday cos some people want to form inclusiveness?

Or maybe to be fair, there shouldn't be a public holiday at all so everyone will be happy

(1) (Reply)

Abuja-Kaduna Train Attack: Terrorists Release Fresh Video Of Kidnap Victims / Osibanjo Candidature: A Possible Win. / Akabuike Marks One Year In Office As CMD COOUTH, Reels Out Achievements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.