Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,033 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. (1432 Views)

A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. / Woman Was Sentenced To Death After Cultists Killed Her Lecturer Lover. Photos / 9-year-old Black Boy Wrongly Accused Of Sexual Assault By A White Woman (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Wisemfon(m): 5:17pm On Apr 10, 2022
A 14 YEARS BLACK BOY WHO WAS SENTENCED TO DEATH BY THE WHITES, 70YEARS LATER, HE WAS FOUND TO BE INNOCENT.

George Junius Stinney (1929-1944), the boy on the pictures, was born to a black family living in Alcolu, South Carolina, USA in October 21, 1929.

On March 24, 1944, two white girls, Betty Binnicker (11yrs) and Mary Thames(9yrs) were found dead in a ditch near Greenhill Babtist Church, Alcolu. Afterwards, George Stinney, a 14 years old black boy was arrested and charged for being responsible for the death of the white girls on the account that the girls were last seen with him.

He was detained in prison, not allowed to see his parents until after his trial. In his 81 days confinement, the police did not give him access to a lawyer, against US Law. He was, however, made to confess to a crime he obviously did not commit.

On April 24, Stinney was charged to court. The entire proceedings of the court, including the selection of the jury, for Stinney's trial took only a day. He was tried in a court filled with 1000 whites, no Blacks were allowed to enter. Sadly, the attorney given to him by the state, Charles Plowden, was a political figure, hence failed to call witnesses or any evidence to defend young Stinney. The prosecution team, in the other hand, failed to produces written and signed confession of Stinney as demanded by the law. Infact, he was also accused of rape.
In all, the entire trial took only 2hrs and with only 10min of deliberation by the jury, death judgement by electrocution was pronounced on George Stinney.

Families, Churches, NGOs, Human Right Organizations protested, wrote and appealed to the Governor of South Carolina, Olin Johnston, to stop Stinney execution because of his age, but he failed to grant him clemency.

June 16, George Stinney was led to the police. He was made to sit in an oversize electric chair. Bible was used as a seat boaster because he was too small for the chair. Also, an oversize mask was put on him. 2400volts of electricity surged through his body, the mask flipped off, his eyes wide and teary, and saliva dripped out of his mouth, for all in the room to see. After two more jolts of electricity, at exactly 7:30pm, George Stinney was gone. Therefore he became the youngest to be sentenced to death in the whole of US history.

REOPENING OF GEORGE STINNEY TRIAL
In 2004, a Historian, George Frierson, along with others, start a fresh investigation into Stinney's case and in 2014, having gathered enough evidence, challenged the court ruling of April 24, 1944 in another court. Frierson was able to identify the real culprit to be George Burke Jnr.(though late); a son of influential family, whose rather, George Burke Snr. was a member of the jury that pronounced judgement on Stinney. He, Burke Snr., Was also the owner of the territory behind the Greenhill Babtist Church were the girls' bodies were found. Wayne Burke, son of George Burke Jnr, was alleged to have confess of his father's deathbed congression about the killing of the girls— Wayne later denied it.
Also when called to witness, Wilford Hunter, former cellmate with George Stinney, tell the court that Stinney had told him in the cell: "I did not kill them, they made me to confess". Several other witnesses was called upon including Stinney's brother and sister

At the end of it all, Judge Carmen Mullen ruled that George Stinney was INNOCENT, thus Stinney was exonerated after 70 years.

George Stinney was killed for nothing, for a crime he did not commit.
He died.
Why?
Why should a 14yrs old boy made to confess without the guidance of his parents or lawyer?
The trial of a murder case took only 2hrs?
How?
How would a jury deliberate for only 10min on one's life?
This show a pre-determined judgement.
If it was a white boy, i bet you, it would have last for days or years.
But he was Black!
Is it because he was black?
What if he was white?
Would he have died?
For the exoneration after 70yrs, is it not medicine after dead?...

Racism is one of the devilish concept that has ticked against justice. If he was white, careful investigation could have ensured, hasty judgement would not have taken place. But then he was black!

I, in the word of Matthew Ashimolowo, ask the whole world, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH BEING BLACK?"

#RacismIsEvil #EndRacismNow
#BlackLifeMatters #EqualityIsTheKey
#BlackHistory #DarkHistory #HorribleHistory
#VoiceOfTheBlacks #AgonyOfTheBlacks
#AfricanHistory #VoiceOfAfrica
#LearnFromHistory

#WisdomMfon Writes.

1 Like

Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by silvoclaira: 5:20pm On Apr 10, 2022
undecided

Click like if this story touched you. Click share if tears rolled you eyes.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Conwarden: 5:26pm On Apr 10, 2022
Terribly tragic!!!

One of the reasons why I'm fully against death penalty.

angry

Life sentence for all scammers . . . Including paternity fraudsters!
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 10, 2022
silvoclaira:
undecided

Quiet with your like share abeg.
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 10, 2022
Ooh God!! cry
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Suspect1: 6:03pm On Apr 10, 2022
silvoclaira:
undecided

noise cry
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Johnny147147: 6:49pm On Apr 10, 2022
Whick kind wahala be this? How would he be compensated now?
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 10, 2022
I remember the story.. there were movies on this too
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by ekukeku(m): 7:45pm On Apr 10, 2022
c d kind death he passed through innocently

World cruelty
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by farouk2much(m): 7:47pm On Apr 10, 2022
Chai
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Medianna(f): 8:01pm On Apr 10, 2022
I remember that movie 'miracle in the cell'
I cried watching that movie.
Jesu!
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by becky39000(m): 8:15pm On Apr 10, 2022
This is heartbreaking!!!!
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by HeavenVGate: 10:04pm On Apr 10, 2022
silvoclaira:
undecided

Ori e ti daru. Weyrey!
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Realmi: 10:09pm On Apr 10, 2022
They wanted some one to be punished for their deaths

This same white people are the once that Nigerians worship with their hearts and sole
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by obinnajohnson: 3:39am On Apr 11, 2022
Imagine, they found him innocent after wasting his entire life ?
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Karlovich: 4:25am On Apr 11, 2022
embarassed Shameless racists, spits.
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Kusheer(m): 4:55am On Apr 11, 2022
Bullshit reason I support G warrior cool cool cool
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Karemarealty288(m): 6:40am On Apr 11, 2022
Terrible world of Black kids of the 40s and 50s

Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by silvoclaira: 7:57am On Apr 12, 2022
HeavenVGate:

Ori e ti daru. Weyrey!
ori baba Ari mama eh e ti daru
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Nobody: 8:34am On Apr 12, 2022
silvoclaira:
undecided

Really touching.
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by silvoclaira: 8:58am On Apr 12, 2022
AudioMonkey:

Really touching.

Seriously
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by DaveHarry(m): 4:53pm On Apr 13, 2022
Oh na dis boy; thot dey said he was guilty of the charges against him. So now what's the usefulness of the innocency of a dead boy? These people will just bring up expired cases if they don't have anything to do. Life sha!
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by DaveHarry(m): 5:00pm On Apr 13, 2022
Wisemfon:
A 14 YEARS BLACK BOY WHO WAS SENTENCED TO DEATH BY THE WHITES, 70YEARS LATER, HE WAS FOUND TO BE INNOCENT.

George Junius Stinney (1929-1944), the boy on the pictures, was born to a black family living in Alcolu, South Carolina, USA in October 21, 1929.

On March 24, 1944, two white girls, Betty Binnicker (11yrs) and Mary Thames(9yrs) were found dead in a ditch near Greenhill Babtist Church, Alcolu. Afterwards, George Stinney, a 14 years old black boy was arrested and charged for being responsible for the death of the white girls on the account that the girls were last seen with him.

He was detained in prison, not allowed to see his parents until after his trial. In his 81 days confinement, the police did not give him access to a lawyer, against US Law. He was, however, made to confess to a crime he obviously did not commit.

On April 24, Stinney was charged to court. The entire proceedings of the court, including the selection of the jury, for Stinney's trial took only a day. He was tried in a court filled with 1000 whites, no Blacks were allowed to enter. Sadly, the attorney given to him by the state, Charles Plowden, was a political figure, hence failed to call witnesses or any evidence to defend young Stinney. The prosecution team, in the other hand, failed to produces written and signed confession of Stinney as demanded by the law. Infact, he was also accused of rape.
In all, the entire trial took only 2hrs and with only 10min of deliberation by the jury, death judgement by electrocution was pronounced on George Stinney.

Families, Churches, NGOs, Human Right Organizations protested, wrote and appealed to the Governor of South Carolina, Olin Johnston, to stop Stinney execution because of his age, but he failed to grant him clemency.

June 16, George Stinney was led to the police. He was made to sit in an oversize electric chair. Bible was used as a seat boaster because he was too small for the chair. Also, an oversize mask was put on him. 2400volts of electricity surged through his body, the mask flipped off, his eyes wide and teary, and saliva dripped out of his mouth, for all in the room to see. After two more jolts of electricity, at exactly 7:30pm, George Stinney was gone. Therefore he became the youngest to be sentenced to death in the whole of US history.

REOPENING OF GEORGE STINNEY TRIAL
In 2004, a Historian, George Frierson, along with others, start a fresh investigation into Stinney's case and in 2014, having gathered enough evidence, challenged the court ruling of April 24, 1944 in another court. Frierson was able to identify the real culprit to be George Burke Jnr.(though late); a son of influential family, whose rather, George Burke Snr. was a member of the jury that pronounced judgement on Stinney. He, Burke Snr., Was also the owner of the territory behind the Greenhill Babtist Church were the girls' bodies were found. Wayne Burke, son of George Burke Jnr, was alleged to have confess of his father's deathbed congression about the killing of the girls— Wayne later denied it.
Also when called to witness, Wilford Hunter, former cellmate with George Stinney, tell the court that Stinney had told him in the cell: "I did not kill them, they made me to confess". Several other witnesses was called upon including Stinney's brother and sister

At the end of it all, Judge Carmen Mullen ruled that George Stinney was INNOCENT, thus Stinney was exonerated after 70 years.

George Stinney was killed for nothing, for a crime he did not commit.
He died.
Why?
Why should a 14yrs old boy made to confess without the guidance of his parents or lawyer?
The trial of a murder case took only 2hrs?
How?
How would a jury deliberate for only 10min on one's life?
This show a pre-determined judgement.
If it was a white boy, i bet you, it would have last for days or years.
But he was Black!
Is it because he was black?
What if he was white?
Would he have died?
For the exoneration after 70yrs, is it not medicine after dead?...

Racism is one of the devilish concept that has ticked against justice. If he was white, careful investigation could have ensured, hasty judgement would not have taken place. But then he was black!

I, in the word of Matthew Ashimolowo, ask the whole world, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH BEING BLACK?"

#RacismIsEvil #EndRacismNow
#BlackLifeMatters #EqualityIsTheKey
#BlackHistory #DarkHistory #HorribleHistory
#VoiceOfTheBlacks #AgonyOfTheBlacks
#AfricanHistory #VoiceOfAfrica
#LearnFromHistory

#WisdomMfon Writes.
The reason the whites raged against Africans who would've changed things for the better. Leaders like Gaddafi, idi Amin, Kenyatta etc. The white man has sworn never to set the black man free.

1 Like

Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Lama70(m): 5:08pm On Apr 13, 2022
I don't think I have seen such things as this happening to the white folks. Why always black
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by Lama70(m): 5:08pm On Apr 13, 2022
I don't think I have seen such thing as this happening to the white folks. Why always black
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by elonmuskbaby: 5:24pm On Apr 13, 2022
sad
Re: A 14yrs Black Boy Who Was Sentenced To Death, 70yrs Later, Found To Be Innocent. by aimmoney9: 9:06pm On Apr 13, 2022

Quiet with your like share abeg.
As a nobody you might not need it ..... grin grin grin

But silvo is a somebody and needs his likes and shares.... grin grin grin

Live and let live..... grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me! Please Help Me!! I Just Had Sex With A Goat / GRAPHIC VIDEO: Woman Gets Stabbed In The Butt-cheek For Stealing Drugs / Footage: Woman Makes Fun Of Police Officer's P*nis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.