Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,598 members, 7,816,483 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search (4626 Views)

Army Launches Combat Motorbike Battalion (see Pix) / 26 Boko Haram Terrorists Killed As Army Thwart Attack On IDP Camp In Dikwa / Suicide Bombs: Muslims Kick As Army, Police Frisk Women In Hijab, Burka - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by koruji(m): 4:59am On Jul 07, 2011
I hope they are being thorough with this - leave no escape routes unguarded including the international border.

A two-week intensive operation, including house-to-house searches of identified BH cell areas of town would deal these idiots a serious blow.

When you give the military a cause to be deployed in your town/city please do not expect kid's gloves - this is not the police. Boko Haram has brough this on Maiduguri - but if the nation is to be saved a serious surgical operation must be performed on that infested city.

The FG took too long to face down this threat, now we have to pay dearly in blood and treasure.

Nigeria suffers from a complete lack of vision in governance.

http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22594:maiduguri-shuts-down-as-army-launches-search&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

Written by Hamza Idris & Yahaya Ibrahim, Maiduguri Thursday, 07 July 2011 00:00

A bomb explosion followed by bursts of sporadic gunfire hit Maiduguri shortly after 7am yesterday, leaving at least one soldier dead and four others critically injured. The unusually loud blast in the Abbaganaram area caused widespread panic and led to a shutdown of activities in the Borno State capital, where the Boko Haram sect has been waging a campaign of violence since last year.

Commander of the Joint Task Force (JTF) Major General Jack Nwaogbo, who confirmed the blast, said no civilian was affected but that three of his personnel were injured. The injured soldiers were receiving treatment at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) yesterday.

Residents of the area where the bomb exploded said they saw six corpses of security personnel close to a check point where they normally park their vehicles for routine surveillance, but military sources said only one soldier died.

It was not possible to confirm the actual casualty figure because the area was barricaded throughout yesterday.

Military sources said the explosive was apparently planted late Tuesday night by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect, knowing that the JTF members would stay in the place in the morning for the usual stop-and-search of vehicles.

But another source in the area said a small boy came carrying a big water cooler disguised as a sachet water vendor and left the container close to the military checkpoint early yesterday.

“It was after the blast that the security operatives realized that an explosive was concealed in the water coolant and a remote control was used to detonate it shortly after the JTF men arrived the place in their Hilux vehicle,” the source said.

Our correspondents report that there was tension in Maiduguri throughout yesterday as security operatives kept on shooting in the air while a helicopter hovered in the sky.

No curfew was officially imposed but most banks, markets and business places in the city closed around 12pm yesterday while military and police mounted countless road blocks in the metropolis.

“It is unfortunate that if you don’t have an ATM, you cannot withdraw money…we are really in trouble here,” Mr Joseph Nkem, a school teacher, said.

The entire Abbaganaram area was cordoned off by the policemen and soldiers even as they launched a house-to-house search for those behind the bombing.

Residents of Lawan Bukar, Kumshe, Shehuri North and Kawar Maila areas who could not go out of their houses till late in the afternoon yesterday alleged that the JTF operatives subjected them to a lot trauma.

“The soldiers entered all the houses in this area and arrested our husbands and children who are above the age of 16. They beat and harassed anyone that complained or attempted to resist arrest,” Amina Musa, a housewife in Abbaganaram, said.

The military have reportedly vandalized over 20 vehicles along the road leading to the Shehu of Borno’s place.

“Unfortunately when the soldiers realized that some of their men have been killed, they lost control and smashed the windscreens of our vehicles and punctured the tyres,” Zanna Musa, a resident of Hausari, said.

A journalist, Sadiq Abubakar, said he was also attacked. “Two military men at the Ahmadu Bello Way stopped me around 1pm and punctured the tyres of my car without asking me to identify myself or where I was going,” he said.

As at the time of filing this report, there was no official comment from the military regarding these allegations.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by tpia5: 5:00am On Jul 07, 2011
i think these people are protecting some trafficking routes.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by EzeUche(m): 5:15am On Jul 07, 2011
Most of the Boko Haram members probably left the city and are spreading throughout the North.

I wonder how many Northerners sympathize with Boko Haram. We already know Northern Nigeria is one region of the world that supported Osama bin Laden.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by tollu: 7:41am On Jul 07, 2011
My only question is, What is the quoted Mr Joseph Nkem still looking for in Maiduguri?
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by Afam4eva(m): 7:46am On Jul 07, 2011
What else would he looking for apart from death. I wonder how someone will keep leaving in the enemy territory when their lives are not guaranteed.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 07, 2011
When I was in the South, I always wonder what the hell people are doing in the North! Now Im in the North and I canot just resign my appointment and go south to join OYES wit my qualifications and start sweeping streets! If by devine providence you have been placed away from BH in d South with good job, thank God and stop demoralizing people up BH enclave by calling on them to come home and starve
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by otokx(m): 10:12am On Jul 07, 2011
This will only make them spread into all the north and Abuja
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by bisiaet: 11:50am On Jul 07, 2011
This will only make them spread into all the north and Abuja

Let them spread to anywhere they want to spread to terrorism is a menace you can not subdue terrorism with baby glove ahnd or with political milk sucking ideas, they are evil, they are satanic, they will not repent, they claim their religion send to to kill, they claime their prophets send to them to become a vampire which is a big lie.

Confrontation is the solution because check it anywhere in the world when this sort of animals start their evil message no matter how they appeal to them, no matter or they are nice the more they are worse, the more they kill so the only language they understand is confrontation and so be it.

Pakistan accused Musharaf the former president being the reason for bombing everyday in Pakistan then and he was asked to step down which he did but still were they satisfy, do they stop bombing till today? What about Aghanistan Ahmid Kassir the president has done all to please them do they stop untill the US finally launch an assault o them? Iraq bombers do they stop even to the point going to Mosque on Friday where people pray to that same God they claimed fighting for and blew up fellow muslim brother and killed them in hundreds? What about Somalia do they stop?

So if they like they should spread wherever or whatever the army should go for them and wipe them out no mercy tactics is the best because when a child says his or her mother will not sleep he or she has also muder sleep as well.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by Rich4god(m): 12:03pm On Jul 07, 2011
House to house will not solve anything, Let them employ INTELLIGENT security to infiltrate their cells.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by ezeagu(m): 12:10pm On Jul 07, 2011
cogitoErgo:

When I was in the South, I always wonder what the hell people are doing in the North! Now Im in the North and I canot just resign my appointment and go south to join OYES wit my qualifications and start sweeping streets! If by devine providence you have been placed away from BH in d South with good job, thank God and stop demoralizing people up BH enclave by calling on them to come home and starve

Starve how? You're telling me if you don't go up north you will starve?
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by zmurda(m): 12:13pm On Jul 07, 2011
[size=15pt]All these Operation Goat, Operation Go Slow, Operation Mumu will not work.

See what happened after Odi when OBJ sent out soldiers, see what has happened to Boko Haram after their leaders were killed.

In fact, I forsee a situation where similar trends would soon start being seen in the South of Nigeria. Frustrated jobless young people are all over the country.

As long as the government does not solve the fundamental problem of social injustice, illiteracy, weaning people of religion and reducing corruption, these problems would multiply. Sooner or later, the government officials in Abuja would soon start getting killed. Their houses in their home towns would be unsafe for them.
[/size]
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by executinal(m): 12:41pm On Jul 07, 2011
If the BOKO HARAM should go after the politicians good and fine. But why on earth should they be killing an innocent civilian that is struggling to survive, in the name of , lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by phraoh(m): 1:19pm On Jul 07, 2011
I cant understand why some Southerners are still in the North,they should get the hell out of there so that the Soldiers can go and raze down dat place like OBJ did.Highest anybody can do is talk buh den the State(s) harbouring such criminals will atleast realize that the fear of Soldiers (the Sovereign State Nigeria.rep) is the beginning of wisdom and literacy.

Wat are they BOKO HARAMING sef,dnt dey realize dat the Cooler that they concealed their bomb was as a result of western education,the vehicles and bikes that convey them and the bombs are western education product,D megaphone and Speakers for calling faithful to prayers even the mode through which they spread their infos are all as a result of Western education.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by DASLEEKY: 1:23pm On Jul 07, 2011
koruji:

http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22594:maiduguri-shuts-down-as-army-launches-search&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

Written by Hamza Idris & Yahaya Ibrahim, Maiduguri Thursday, 07 July 2011 00:00

A bomb explosion followed by bursts of sporadic gunfire hit Maiduguri shortly after 7am yesterday, leaving at least one soldier dead and four others critically injured. The unusually loud blast in the Abbaganaram area caused widespread panic and led to a shutdown of activities in the Borno State capital, where the Boko Haram sect has been waging a campaign of violence since last year.

“It was after the blast that the security operatives realized that an explosive was concealed in the water coolant and a remote control was used to detonate it shortly after the JTF men arrived the place in their Hilux vehicle,” the source said.

Our correspondents report that there was tension in Maiduguri throughout yesterday as security operatives kept on shooting in the air while a helicopter hovered in the sky.

Residents of Lawan Bukar, Kumshe, Shehuri North and Kawar Maila areas who could not go out of their houses till late in the afternoon yesterday alleged that[b] the JTF operatives subjected them to a lot trauma.[/b]

“The soldiers entered all the houses in this area and arrested our husbands and children who are above the age of 16. They beat and harassed anyone that complained or attempted to resist arrest,” Amina Musa, a housewife in Abbaganaram, said.

The military have reportedly vandalized over 20 vehicles along the road leading to the Shehu of Borno’s place.

“Unfortunately when the soldiers realized that some of their men have been killed, they lost control and smashed the windscreens of our vehicles and punctured the tyres,” Zanna Musa, a resident of Hausari, said.

A journalist, Sadiq Abubakar, said he was also attacked. “Two military men at the Ahmadu Bello Way stopped me around 1pm and punctured the tyres of my car without asking me to identify myself or where I was going,” he said.

As at the time of filing this report, there was no official comment from the military regarding these allegations.

How come no one is seeing anything wrong with the rascality and atrocities of these soldiers, why take the heat out on every adult male resident and these are the people that you are suppose to protect

sometime i just wonder like Fela sang,
If e no be craze? why for africa, as time dey go, things just dey bad, dey bad more and more
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by mekay(m): 1:33pm On Jul 07, 2011
The govt didn't take this group serious from onset, now they are a menace to the country. Thank God that they only operate in the north, I feel sorry for those that have lost their loved ones and relatives due to this insurgence.
The military is just angry due to the loss they have incurred, but they need to be more proactive
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 07, 2011
Waste of time. This won't solve the problem
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by atasteve: 1:47pm On Jul 07, 2011
When will Nigerian military stop behaving irrationally? Intelligence should be put in place instead of beating the innocent citizens as retaliation for the death of one of their own.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by baslone: 1:52pm On Jul 07, 2011
Boko Haram guyz are makin d likes of Asari Dokubo, Boyloaf, Ateketom, Tompolo, Saboma George etc look like mere boys scouts
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by phreakabit(m): 2:22pm On Jul 07, 2011
My only question is, What is the quoted Mr Joseph Nkem still looking for in Maiduguri?

Let them KILL the imbe.cile wey no get ear!

baslone:

Boko Haram guyz are makin d likes of Asari Dokubo, Boyloaf, Ateketom, Tompolo, Saboma George etc look like mere boys scouts

Those where not terrorists, rather they where rebels of some sort. Theres a huge difference.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by vantageguy(m): 2:32pm On Jul 07, 2011
During the heat of the niger delta crisis, i remember a member of the house of representatives from kebbi state saying the Yar'adua government should not allow 13million people out of 120 million people disturb the peace of the nation, he went ahead to say all of them should be wiped off from the surface of the earth, in dat light, i would suggest dat the soldiers in maiduguri kill all boys and men in the state 4rm ages 9-45 and i tell you boko haram will be history. cool
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by erayo2GCA(m): 2:35pm On Jul 07, 2011
If Borno is not save por christian den go back to your state and stop complaining,
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by vantageguy(m): 2:36pm On Jul 07, 2011
tollu:

[/quote

u read my mind, any southerner staying in Maiduguri is a BIG FOOL
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by otokx(m): 2:50pm On Jul 07, 2011
One Nigeria
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by nebeolis: 3:20pm On Jul 07, 2011
I WANT CHIEF RALPH UWAZURIKE TO QUIKCLY CHANGE FROM NONE VOILENT TO VOILENT .I WANT TO TELL YOU THE IGBOS BLOOD ARE TOO EXPENCIVE TO WAIST. SEE HOW THE SO CALL NIGERIAN POLICE ARE KILLING AND DETAINING THE MASSOBIAN AND NONE OF THIS EASTHEN GOVERNOS HAS ONE DAY CHALANGE THE POLICE OR MAKE COMENT ABOUT THAT SIMPLE BECOUSE THEY ARE AFRAID OF THERE NORTHERN MASTERS. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY IGBOS HAS BEEN KILL SO FAR AND STILL THEY NEVER SHOW THIS IN THE NEWS . I WANT THE MASSOB AND THE MEND AND ALL THE GROUP IN THE SOUTH SOUTH AND SOUTH EAST .COUGHT THE PIPE LINE THAT HAS BEEN SUPPLYING ALL THIS OIL TO THE NORTH IT IS TIME FOR DIVIDE THIS COUNTRY WHAT ARE THE MASSOBIAN WAITING THE TIME IS NOW LET EVERY BODY GO AND MANAGE THERE RESUCCES. THE OUR HAVE COME. THE ANOITED PROPHET OF GOD HAS FOR PAST ONE YEAR PROPHESY THIS I MEAN REV.FATHER EJIKE MBAKA THE MAN WHO ALWAYS STAND ON THE TRUTH HAS SAID THIS A LONG TIME EGO WHAT ARE THE SOUTH SOUTH AND SOUTH EAST STILL WAITING.THE NOTHERNERS SHOULD GO LET THEM GO GO GO GO GO AND PRATICE WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO IMPLEMENT TO SUIT YOUR RLIGIUN AND LET BIAFRA BE, THE YOUTH OF THE NOTHERN LEATHERS SURPOSE TO GO AND GET THE LIST OF ALL THERE NOTHERN LEADERS WHOM CONTROL THIS GOVERMENT FOR MORE THAT 40 YEARS WITH OUT DOING ANY FOR THEM AND KILLED THEM AND NOT KILLING INNOCENCE POEPLE.LET THEM START FROM GOWON TO BABANGIDA AND OTHERS AND FINISHED THEM .THEY ARE CLAIM TO BE MOSELEM LEADERS .IS KUWAIT,SAUDI ARABIA, OMAN,QOTAR. JORDAN ,ETC ARE THEY NOT MOSLEM COUNTRY WITH OIL,WHY DO THEY USE THERE OIL MONEY TO DEVELOPED THERE COUNTRIES AND SO CALL NOTHERN LEADERS RULL THIS COUNTRY 40 YEARS WITH OUT COMMON POWER SUPLY TO BOOST AND THE FOOLISH NOTHERN YOU HAVE THE GOTS TO ATACK THE INNOCENCE ONE WHILE THOSE WHO SHOULD HELD RESPOSIBLE ARE THERE WITH THEM EATING AND DRINKING WITH THEM FOOLISH BOKO HARAM LET THEM GO TO HAIL
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by EzeUche(m): 3:41pm On Jul 07, 2011
vantageguy:

During the heat of the niger delta crisis, i remember a member of the house of representatives from kebbi state saying the Yar'adua government should not allow 13million people out of 120 million people disturb the peace of the nation, he went ahead to say all of them should be wiped off from the surface of the earth, in dat light, i would suggest dat the soldiers in maiduguri kill all boys and men in the state 4rm ages 9-45 and i tell you boko haram will be history. cool

I remember that infamous statement as well. angry
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by Bensonite: 3:42pm On Jul 07, 2011
baslone:

I forgive you because you do not know the ND boys very well. In a single show in 2009 Boko Haram lost their leader, whereas ND boys fought and reduce oil output to quarter over a period of 8years. They have known and well manned camps with anti-aircraft guns. If you are from the creeks of ND like me, we have seen several wars lasting days of continuous non stop fire for fire with JTF and ND boys. Corpses from both sides floating everywhere. Please do not compare- the ND was a struggle of resources and development although later hijacked by kidnappers/criminals. It was not a religious battle for ND so no one planned suicide bombing otherwise, may be no oil again to loot.
Any way Army should act professionally and save the innocent lives which was the reason they were sent. If the entire maiduguri was BH infested, you can kill everyone I dont care but the criminals always live among the innocents. SSS what is your job make stupid statement of not prosecuting the arrested BH when you do not have the constitutional authority to do so.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by monkeyleg: 4:04pm On Jul 07, 2011
As usual the innocent will suffer. I fail to see how this would solve the problem
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by 1luvkipsus: 5:13pm On Jul 07, 2011
This will only lead to more bombings in the next few days wit uniform men and police stations as major targets.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 07, 2011
It's time for U.S military to come and start their drones attack on Northerners.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by sammieone(m): 7:05pm On Jul 07, 2011
I av said it before here but I feel this is time to take action. Those people that harbour BH and those that know them will also be affected by the mass clearing. Some people can't just sit somewhere and make Nigeria unsafe. Let them die and all their selfish sponsors. We will all be surprise by the confessions later. All we are clamouring for is peace in Nigeria, so anybody that will truncate our peace should be seriosly dealth with.
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by homerac7: 7:25pm On Jul 07, 2011
@nebolis,

Nna men, ,ur oyibo na ogbunigwe bomb wey pass boko haram own. If dem carry u go maiduguri so, u no need weapon at all as ur bekee na da real bomb. undecided undecided undecided grin grin grin
Re: Maiduguri Shuts Down As Army Launches Search by owobokiri(m): 10:09pm On Jul 07, 2011
How come no one is seeing anything wrong with the rascality and atrocities of these soldiers, why take the heat out on every adult male resident and these are the people that you are suppose to protect

sometime i just wonder like Fela sang,
If e no be craze? why for africa, as time dey go, things just dey bad, dey bad more and more

You need to ask the people of Sierra Leone and Liberia how our soldiers behave when they loose any of their men in a naighbouhood. Everything walking- man, woman, children become immediate target as grown men start to act like wild dogs. Nigerian soldiers have gotten away with acting like mad dogs for a long time that it has now become the norm to kill anything in sight once they are deployed in troubled spots.

(1) (2) (Reply)

REVEALED: Obasanjo's Son Was Shot While Running Away From Boko Haram / Photos: See The Poor Road Construction Orji Uzor Kalu Is Handling In Abia State / INEC Urges Ninth N’assembly To Prioritise Electoral Act Amendment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.