Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Big Ripple Effect! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Big Ripple Effect! (895 Views)

Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect / Effect Of Condom / Ripple Effect Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Big Ripple Effect! by dealordea(m): 7:44am On Jul 07, 2011
When you drop a pebble into a still pond, you’ll see a splash, You'll notice concentric circles rippling out from the center, where the pebble hit the water. You may watch the ripple travel out in an ever expanding ring,

But, the pebble might also have other effects. As it sinks it might scare a bunch of fish (so appropriate to remember on this site), or frighten a duck enough so that it leaps out of the water. A simple act of throwing the pebble into the pond caused change, and you are connected to the pebble, the water and through the effects of throwing to the fish and the duck.

The term "Ripple Effect" was coined by Jacob Kounin in 1970, to describe the effect teachers may exert on students. The term itself spread beyond the field of education, as it applies to our everyday lives.

Ripple effect reminds us that no action is without reaction, and the ripples, in some cases, may be far-reaching.

"Each choice we make causes a ripple effect in our lives. When things happen to us, it is the reaction we choose that can create the difference between the sorrows of our past and the joy of our future."

As I read through couple of wonderful posts each passing day, I could not help but think of the ways in which people from here (people that I have never met) and the words that they write affect my life and create the ripple effect, whether they know it or not.

Our thoughts and our actions are like that pebble, dropped into still waters, in as much as they create ripples that spread and expand outwards. What we think and what we do affects the people in our lives and their reactions in turn affect others, they all add to the ripple.

So, what I would like to ask of you is to think about the ways in which you were a pebble that initiated changes, or about the ways in which the ripples affected you.

Each of us has a capacity to change the world in small ways for better or worse. The choices that we make have real consequences, in our own lives and in lives of others. I would like to hear about the people whose words or actions changed your world, as well as about the ways in which you have impacted others, in this pond, or outside of it - in real life.
Re: Big Ripple Effect! by tsmith(f): 9:34am On Jul 07, 2011
Food for thoughts, nice one
Re: Big Ripple Effect! by Abbycrown(f): 10:13am On Jul 07, 2011
Thoughtful write-up.
Re: Big Ripple Effect! by iice(f): 2:06pm On Jul 07, 2011

(1) (Reply)

New Scammers Tricks - Beware And Open Your Eyes Wide. / Google Is 13. Hurray. / Are Politicians Truely Liars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.