Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,158 members, 7,842,331 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Undocumented Lotto Winner Struggles To Claim Prize - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Undocumented Lotto Winner Struggles To Claim Prize (219 Views)

NDIC Calls On Depositors In 20 Liquidated Banks To Claim Their Money / Jamaican Lotto Winner Hides Identity By Dressing As Darth Vader To Collect $95 M / Man Struggles With ATM Machine After His Money Got Stuck In Edo State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Undocumented Lotto Winner Struggles To Claim Prize by DaveHarry(m): 8:17pm On Apr 15, 2022
An Algerian man who won €250,000 (£206,000; $270,000) on a €5 scratchcard in Belgium is struggling to claim his winnings because of his undocumented status.
The prize is too large to be paid in cash and the man does not have the papers he needs to open a bank account.

A friend who tried to claim the money for him was briefly detained on suspicion of theft.

The winner says he wants to use the money to build a life in Belgium.

"When I get the money, I am going to buy a place to live in Brussels. And maybe a car," the man, whose identity has not been revealed, told Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws.

However, first he has to find a way to claim the money.

The 28-year-old man has no valid identity papers nor a permanent place to live, according to Belgian broadcaster VRT.

Because he cannot open a bank account, the lottery company will not make the payment, the man's lawyer, Alexander Verstraete, said.

"We are looking for those documents that can prove his identity. He will have to contact his family in Algeria," Mr Verstraete told the AFP news agency.

A lottery spokesperson did not specify to AFP which documents would be required to claim the win.

One of the man's friends, who has the correct papers, tried to claim the winnings on his behalf by going to the lottery headquarters in Brussels, which is necessary for any prize over €100,000.

But he and two others were detained by police overnight as authorities suspected they had stolen the winning scratchcard. They were released after the winner explained the situation.

The card is now being held by a court in the town of Bruges, close to the port of Zeebrugge where it was bought.

Mr Verstraete says authorities have promised not to deport the man until he has received the prize money.

The winner left Algeria four months ago, travelling by boat to Spain, according to Belgian media. From there he went on foot through Spain and France before reaching Belgium.

He had wanted to travel on to the United Kingdom, but now says he would prefer to remain in Belgium, and hopes to start a family.

"I will also look for a wife," he told Het Laatste Nieuws. "Still, I am not going to find one with my money, but with my heart."

2 Shares

Re: Undocumented Lotto Winner Struggles To Claim Prize by immortalcrown(m): 8:18pm On Apr 15, 2022
Village people! grin
Re: Undocumented Lotto Winner Struggles To Claim Prize by davidupdate89: 9:04pm On Apr 15, 2022
We die there oh, sapa no be person friend oh.
Re: Undocumented Lotto Winner Struggles To Claim Prize by gaby(m): 9:20pm On Apr 15, 2022
Mafish mushkila
Re: Undocumented Lotto Winner Struggles To Claim Prize by Nobody: 9:23pm On Apr 15, 2022
Some betting companies for Nigeria go just block him account say he opened a multiple accounts just not to pay him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Undocumented Lotto Winner Struggles To Claim Prize by juwoonn(m): 9:26pm On Apr 15, 2022
Omo!
This 2022 alaiye was in Algeria..
This 2022 baba enter Belgium illegally..
Baba enter Belgium chop €250,000..
He chop am finish... he no see money collect
Every enemy waiting at the point of my success... die by fire now IJN

(1) (Reply)

What You Must Know Before Investing In Cryptocurrency / Business Feasibilty Report On Cooking Gas Plant / Check List Of Ngo/governments Tenders With May 2022 Deadlines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.