Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself (627 Views)

Jobs/interview: Vacancies In Bolin Bakeries In Control Of Fixed / Signal Alliance Limited : Interview Process, Work Conditions & Salary / Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself by Eniwealth23: 1:35pm On Apr 16, 2022
I'm a self-taught UX/UI designer but I've also gone through Google Professional UX design certification course. I started applying to international jobs last month and since then I've gotten only 3 interviews in few European startups. The problem is I haven't gone past the 2nd stage of each interview process. The interviews and assessments often come in different folds depending on the recruitment process of each company or recruiter.

I've watched different interview videos and practiced all possible interview questions. And I barely fail any because I always put my best into each and every interview. Some assessment questions sometime go beyond everything I know as regard UX/UI. I've applied mainly to Internship and Entry level jobs, so I'm definitely not running faster than my shadow. The funny thing is I don't randomly apply to jobs, I always take out time to glance through the job requirements before applying.

As regard Naija employers, well majority would love to get the job done for free. It seems most of the them don't really understand the importance of UX when building a product. They think you just get on figma and start doing all sort. During the course of my learning's(and I'm still learning), there was a period I didn't open the figma app at all. I was deeply rooted in trying to understand the basis on how you make choices when selecting the features for a project. Which as far as I know is the basis of UX design. I feel bad haven't failed those interviews but I've not lost hope. I've decided to work on my portfolio for the rest of the month. I want to believe its completely normal.

I've also tried freelancing but I've only been comfortable with upwork. I got a $30 job once (All l ever did) which i think earned me a verification badge I guess. I'm not exaggerating but I would have spent close to and if not more than 400 connects applying to jobs still no joy.

At some point, I was worried but lately I had to let the thought slide. I want to believe there are nairalanders that I've been through similar experiences. I will also love to know if there's something I'm not doing right. Please help a brother.

2 Likes

Re: Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself by Maj196(m): 7:16pm On Apr 16, 2022
Nothing comes easy. You just have to keep pushing and one day it clicks.

2 Likes

Re: Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself by nuel000: 8:17pm On Apr 16, 2022
How do you apply for remote jobs? I recently finished the Google data analytics professional certificate too.

2 Likes

Re: Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself by Eniwealth23: 4:20am On Apr 17, 2022
nuel000:
How do you apply for remote jobs? I recently finished the Google data analytics professional certificate too.
LinkedIn, indeed and other job board sites
Re: Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself by Eniwealth23: 5:51am On Apr 17, 2022
Maj196:
Nothing comes easy. You just have to keep pushing and one day it clicks.
you are absolutely right
Re: Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself by qtguru(m): 8:26pm On Apr 17, 2022
Share your profile let me review for you. I've made money but I am not active on Upworks, but done 5 jobs, I operate my woman's profile and she is a Ui/UX designer, got 3 jobs for her on Upworks

I can give some tips if you don't mind

2 Likes

Re: Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself by Eniwealth23: 8:39pm On Apr 17, 2022
Okay thank you
qtguru:
Share your profile let me review for you. I've made money but I am not active on Upworks, but done 5 jobs, I operate my woman's profile and she is a Ui/UX designer, got 3 jobs for her on Upworks

I can give some tips if you don't mind
Re: Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself by qtguru(m): 9:41pm On Apr 17, 2022
This is my constructive feedback,

You have a good profile from what I can see, but a major challenge that might be an issue is the quality of work, I think you have to work on improving the aesthetics because most of the UI/UX Designers on Upwork are also on Dribbble and their quality of work is much higher, if you both bid, they would definitely have an advantage over you.

Upwork is very competitive

Here is a friend that I am helping with his Upwork account, I think if you follow the aesthetic on Dribbble as a standard you will pull more clients.

https://dribbble.com/tope-olowott

2 Likes

Re: Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself by Eniwealth23: 2:03am On Apr 18, 2022
qtguru:
This is my constructive feedback,

You have a good profile from what I can see, but a major challenge that might be an issue is the quality of work, I think you have to work on improving the aesthetics because most of the UI/UX Designers on Upwork are also on Dribbble and their quality of work is much higher, if you both bid, they would definitely have an advantage over you.

Upwork is very competitive

Here is a friend that I am helping with his Upwork account, I think if you follow the aesthetic on Dribbble as a standard you will pull more clients.

https://dribbble.com/tope-olowott

Thank you very much for the review boss. I will put in the work and keep you informed

1 Like

Re: Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself by d5fada: 8:43am On May 11, 2022
My Exact experience too, thanks for sharing and providing a platform for people to proffer solution... that part of using hundreds of connects really got to me...

Eniwealth23:
I'm a self-taught UX/UI designer but I've also gone through Google Professional UX design certification course. I started applying to international jobs last month and since then I've gotten only 3 interviews in few European startups. The problem is I haven't gone past the 2nd stage of each interview process. The interviews and assessments often come in different folds depending on the recruitment process of each company or recruiter.

I've watched different interview videos and practiced all possible interview questions. And I barely fail any because I always put my best into each and every interview. Some assessment questions sometime go beyond everything I know as regard UX/UI. I've applied mainly to Internship and Entry level jobs, so I'm definitely not running faster than my shadow. The funny thing is I don't randomly apply to jobs, I always take out time to glance through the job requirements before applying.

As regard Naija employers, well majority would love to get the job done for free. It seems most of the them don't really understand the importance of UX when building a product. They think you just get on figma and start doing all sort. During the course of my learning's(and I'm still learning), there was a period I didn't open the figma app at all. I was deeply rooted in trying to understand the basis on how you make choices when selecting the features for a project. Which as far as I know is the basis of UX design. I feel bad haven't failed those interviews but I've not lost hope. I've decided to work on my portfolio for the rest of the month. I want to believe its completely normal.

I've also tried freelancing but I've only been comfortable with upwork. I got a $30 job once (All l ever did) which i think earned me a verification badge I guess. I'm not exaggerating but I would have spent close to and if not more than 400 connects applying to jobs still no joy.

At some point, I was worried but lately I had to let the thought slide. I want to believe there are nairalanders that I've been through similar experiences. I will also love to know if there's something I'm not doing right. Please help a brother.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Personal Assistant Is Needed In A NFT Company Remote. / VACANCY: UBA Is Currently Recruiting Into Various Positions / Fully Funded Scholarships In UK For International Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.