Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,420 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Nigeria 2023, The Contenders And Pretenders. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria 2023, The Contenders And Pretenders. (266 Views)

2023 Election: The Presidential Contenders And Pretenders - TonyeBarcanista / Lagos 2023 Gubernatorial Election. The Contenders And Pretenders: A Story Of.... / ICC Job: Ishaq Bello Ranked Low Amongst 20 Contenders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria 2023, The Contenders And Pretenders. by Olumaeme: 11:32pm On Apr 17, 2022
As we approach another decisive moment in our nation's history, we're obviously very divided on the way forward. We have different opinions and ideas on how to fix the many problems that beguile our nation, heck, we probably won't even agree on what the problems are but one thing, majority of us can loudly agree on is Buhari is not, was not and will never be the solution, those who can't speak out, I assume are busy chewing and diligently observing table manners.

In as few words as possible, I'll try to dissect and give my honest opinions on the major players, so far, everyone who has shown serious interest in contesting for the post of the Nigerian president in 2023.

1. Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Jagaban of Borgu (♾♾♾)

Let's call a spade a spade for a second and not just a farming equipment, almost every political calculation and experiment the famed Jagaban of Borgu has made since Fashola has been an absolute disaster. His policy proposals are laughable and his declaratory speech was very insulting, to say the least.

Just in case you haven't been paying attention, he advocated for "anybody who can hold a gun, who can handle a gun, who can cock and shoot..." be recruited into the army and fed cassava, corn and yam, according to a report by Channels television and other news outlets.

He dropped the ball in the embarrassing ouster of Akinwumi Ambode, the former governor of Lagos. He has lost the control and goodwill of the political structure of the South West, he was famously silent during the #ENDSARS protest and almost every issue that has confronted everyday Nigerians since the inception of the APC controlled federal government, won't it be nice if he just reminded silent forever?

He told everyone it was his "lifelong ambition" to become Nigeria's president and his most obvious disaster is providing aid and comfort to the administration of Muhammadu Buhari, a government he's now so desperately trying to cut ties with.

The only way BAT's actions and inactions make sense is when you consider his self proclaimed "life long ambition". It's obvious Tinubu doesn't care if Nigeria burns, as long as he gets to be called commander in chief. That's exactly the kind of man you don't want leading the country at such a critical time in our nation's history. We tried "life long" ambition once, he's still there, he's been a colossal failure.

Perhaps, the Asiwaju will be better served to consider the realisation of other dreams and hobby, I hear Mount everest is nice this time of year.

Judgement: Sit back down, sir.

2. Yemi Osinbajo.

An outstanding orator, Pastor, professor of law cum senior advocate of Nigeria, vastly experienced lawyer and politician who has served at various levels of government. If you just found out about PYO, you'd argue he's the ideal candidate for office but don't let him fool you, those who said "not all that glitter is gold" were writing Yemi Osinbajo's life story.
What a phenomenal failure Osinbade has been.

Almost everyone, including Buhari's wife, agrees the president has failed and is failing but Pastor, professor promised to continue from where he stopped. The more I think about that speech, the more I feel threatened. Yemi Osinbajo is like that rich kid in school who has all the books, can afford to buy any shiny new equipment but dumb as a rock and will shit the bed when it matters the most.

It may sound like I'm being too harsh on the vice president and you may be right but in my humble understanding of Nigeria's history, we have not had someone so educated, so famously religious and in touch with the realities of the ordinary people so close to power but everytime you expect the man of God to stand up and be counted, he comes with a bag of excuses and a tied hand.

How are you connected to Pastor E. A Adeboye and Obafemi Awolowo and yet a stakeholder in the worst presidency in the nation's history? If university students ever resume classes again, someone should take up that question as a project topic.

For once, let me speak as Pastor, something the professor won't do; "may affliction not rise a second time..."

Judgement: stop threatening us, Prof.

3. Yahaya A. Bello (GYB2PYB)

I don't think there's anyone in Yahaya Bello's shoes who would not consider running for a higher office. When you're in your forties and about about to complete two terms as a state governor, it's just natural to not want to retire, especially in a political environment where one can quickly become irrelevant.
Most governors in Nigeria assume office around the age Bello will be bowing out of office and I can imagine the intrigue and daily operations of being a politician are just too addictive to leave behind.

Yahaya Bello's supporters like to tout his accomplishments in area of security, women inclusion in government and his youthfulness as his biggest strengths but let's face it, the man is woefully unqualified and temperamentally unfit to lead Nigeria.
Having won the office of governor at first try, he came into lugard house with so much hope and fanfare but his performance as governor of Kogi is underwhelming, at best.
Also, his support for the current disaster at Aso Rock is a disqualifier, in my opinion.

I am a little jealous of the man, truth be told, he got on a platter, something most Nigerians are probably willing to kill for and gave a lot of hope to many people who have been agitating for more youth inclusion in the highest offices but like many before him, he has not been able to deliver where it matters the most. Kogi state is no better than he met it, by any reasonable merit, if anything, in years to come, people will point to Yahaya Bello as an argument against youth and inexperienced hands in office.

He should get in the naughty corner right next to Dimeji Bankole and think about his life and choices while other serious contenders try to salvage the sinking ship, otherwise known as Nigeria.

Judgement: GTFOH, man.

4. Abubakar Bukola Saraki.

What a man Saraki is, his fall from grace should be listed as one of the achievements of the Buhari administration officials. I'm intrigued by the life and career of Bukola Saraki, I think he's a smart man who was born with a silver spoon and basically had everything handed to him, unfortunately, his smartness and fighting spirit seem to only come to fore when his personal interests are threatened.

Saraki is partly responsible for bringing the Buhari/APC government to power and until that calamity is undone, he owes Nigeria an explanation for his actions and must continue to fight to sit Nigeria where it belongs.

Abubakar Bukola Saraki, in my opinion, had a unique opportunity to write his name in the history books but like every other greedy and selfish politician we've had to contend with, he's been more invested in personal gains.

I honestly think a man like Saraki, if given the opportunity, can begin the much needed process of rebuilding our nation but (read that twice) he must rid himself of personal gratification and selfish ambitions that have come to define his life.

Whether or not his president or ever hold any political office again, Bukola Saraki must spend the rest of his days righting his wrongs.
Judgement: You caused this mess, sir, clean it up, even if it means using your tongue!

5. Peter Gregory Obi

After months of playing hide and seek, the man finally came out of his shell and put his hat in the ring.

For a while, I thought he was waiting for the Nigerian people to come woo him like a desperate man seeking a lady's hand in marriage. Mr. Obi must recognise, that in spite of his seeming impressive resume, the office of the Nigerian president is serious business.

At best, the Bernie Sanders of Nigerian politics, everything has one problem and therefore, there's one solution.
Peter Obi has shown great promise and his track record as governor is not too shabby, after all, in a village filled with blind men, the one eyed man is king.

However, I have very strong reservations about his ability and willingness to tackle other issues facing the country, besides the economy and job creation, which seem to be his strongest suit.

I believe a president must be innovative, a quick thinker and fixer who is ready and willing to tackle issues as they arise, expected and non and Governor Obi will need to sharpen his skills in those areas, including security, rule of law, etc.

I just hope, for all his oratory, he is not another Osinbajo.

Judgement: Show Working

6. 7. 8. Kingsley Moghalu, Omoyele Sowore Shina Peller, etc.

Judgement: Beach, please.

I have deliberately left out the minister of transport, if your ministry is responsible for oversight over the railway, you have no business campaigning for president when the disaster of the Kaduna train has not been resolved.

Finally, If it looks like Buhari, talks like Buhari, walks like Buhari or supported Buhari's election and reelection, throw him away, he's a failure.

Source - https://lasunspen..com/2022/04/nigeria-2023-contenders-and-pretenders.html?m=1

Re: Nigeria 2023, The Contenders And Pretenders. by Olumaeme: 11:33pm On Apr 17, 2022
Re: Nigeria 2023, The Contenders And Pretenders. by Kestolove(m): 11:49pm On Apr 17, 2022
Get the fvcck out ta here yeye belLOW
Re: Nigeria 2023, The Contenders And Pretenders. by doctorexcel: 12:14am On Apr 18, 2022
Poor analysis. Yeye dey smell
Re: Nigeria 2023, The Contenders And Pretenders. by drmuchin: 12:17am On Apr 18, 2022
Nigeria jagajaga
Everything scatter scatter
Re: Nigeria 2023, The Contenders And Pretenders. by yanabasee(m): 12:25am On Apr 18, 2022
doctorexcel:
Poor analysis. Yeye dey smell

It's poor analysis because Tinubu wasn't qualified from the analysis...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria 2023, The Contenders And Pretenders. by doctorexcel: 12:30am On Apr 18, 2022
yanabasee:

It's poor analysis because Tinubu wasn't qualified from the analysis...
it's poor because it lacks logic

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Run For President, Which Political Party Has The Cheapest Form / Ipob Comedy Central / Nigeria Would Have Been Worst Than Afghanistan Without Buhari – Ayade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.